2002 GMC Sonoma Consumer Review: Poor gas mileage/repairs under

2002 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Review

SLS Crew Cab Pickup (4.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic 4.6 ft. Bed)

Poor gas mileage/repairs under warranty?
By Linda on

2002 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a roar in the engine from time to time that sounds like I have shifted to 4 WD when it is definitely in 2WD. Taken in to the dealer and he can never hear that sound. Does not do it all the time but when it does it sounds like the engine is going to come out from under the hood. Been in the shop 5x with shifting problems, shims, water in headlamp, wind noise both front doors, very poor gas mileage empty load or pulling trailor. Would not recommend this truck to anyone.Center console is too small and tight up front. backseat leg area too small. Just me and the dog and still not enough room.Bummer cruise control. Cheap, would have paid the difference for a good cruise controller.

Favorite Features

Fog headlamps, good exceleration if you are willing to spend the money on gas. Tows well if the engine is not stuck in a windup mode. Headreast on passengers side are too high and dangerous blind spot.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the design of 1997 and improve the gas mileage. Fix the seating so there is not a blind spot. Having to keep my truck for 7 days at a time to get the repairs fixed. Computer diagnostics did not work on my problems they had to run them down by trial and error!