2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Good little truck
By njoosse on 11/15/12 08:17 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nice little truck, very reliable. Lots of power, tows easily, good on gas. Its ten years old, with 115000miles, starting to rust. No issues with reliability at all, but I find it has a lot of rattles and squeaks, more than I would expect. Everything works good, air blows cold, heated seats, etc..., overall a good truck.

Great little truck
By dustin on 05/20/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't had this truck very long so i can't say about the reliability. But it seems really solid. I have the zr2 package. It rides really good for a 4x4. The gas mileage isn't horrible, it is a truck after all. It will get up and go, but my moms minivan will go faster. But her van can't go thru mud!!!

love my sonoma
By foster on 03/16/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

expensive truck to fix, only 85000 kms, changed o2 sensors, battery, brakes, front bearings, front bushings, 4x4 actuator valve, around $3000 so far in repairs, paint is chipping off bottom 2 inches of the 3rd door, still love my truck, 4x4 does not engage properly when its below 0 degrees C. Moisture buildup in the air line.

170000 mile review
By Wishbone on 06/19/08 23:32 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. The biggest complaint I have is the warranty is not good. At 30000 miles the rear axle went out. They rebuilt it with no questions asked. At 40000 miles it went out again, again they rebuilt it and no questions asked. I never towed anything and never abused the truck. The mechanic said he heard a whine at 50000 miles and he was overriden by the rep that was deaf and said he heard nothing. At 52000 miles the rear axle crapped out again and GMC said it was out of warranty and I was on my own. Got a junk yard axle and have had no problems with it since. I've replaced the A/C compressor and the fuel pump, but no other major items and am at 170000 miles! Love this truck

Love it after 100K miles
By safeman on 07/26/07 10:44 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the truck for 5 years and have a little over 111,000 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance, have not had to repair anything. Got 105,000 miles on the original tires! Extremely reliable. Rides as well today as when I first bought it. Had an accident in it at 80 mph on I-95. I was hit in the passenger door, spun 180 degrees and slid across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic. I ended up facing the wrong way on the opposite shoulder of the interstate. The truck was rock solid during the entire ordeal. The truck still looks good, runs well and is comfortable. It still gets 20 mpg. After reading some of the earlier comments, I wonder whether we are talking about the same vehicle.

2002 Sonoma 4wd Ext. cab OK but w/caveat
By Kent Bryant on 12/01/06 13:31 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have no idea if they made the shell flimsier or not with this year model, but I had two previous Sonomas which did not receive anywhere near the small body dents. Also, the older models actually had better accessories than this new one such as rear defrost and sun visor mirrors. Also, the 4WD switching buttons on the inside console predictable failed at my 3 year ownership mark, so now I am limited to 2-wheel drive even though I own a 4WD truck. Have no idea what it will cost me to get that fixed. It was always troublesome from the beginning. Other than that, pretty reliable vehicle after 4 years.

Great truck
By Jim woods on 07/19/05 17:01 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Leased this fine truck in March 2002. When the lease ran out, I was totally prepared to lease my third 4x4 Sonoma, only to find out they discontinued it for a goofy 5 cylinder replacement. So I bought my lease truck with 29,000 miles on it. The only trouble I've had is needing to replace the instrument cluster at 34,000 miles because both the temperature and fuel guages became intermittant. But,I really love this little 4x4. It's been reliable and tough, with gobs of smooth power. It still gets 19 mpg in town and 23 on the road, not too bad for a big v6, 4x4.This truck has not developed one single rattle or squeak since I first got it. All in all, it's a dandy.

Drinks like a fish
By SwampRat on 11/11/04 14:45 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I like my 2002 GMC Sonoma, but it has terrible gas mileage. It averages about 13 mpg for me. My 1984 full size 4WD truck got better mileage (and that was a V8 compared to this 6-cylinder). Aside from that, it's been a good truck. It's comfortable, rides well, and I've had little in the way of problems. The rear left side's window's weatherstripping cracked, but it was replaced under warranty. As long as you can afford the gas for it, I'd highly recommend this truck. I've also driven Dodge and Ford compact pickups, and I'd definitely recommend the Sonoma over either of them. If you're going to get a truck like this, DEFINITELY get a 3 door. It's worth it!

Solid reliable truck
By Walt K on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have almost 50,000 miles on my 6 cyl extended cab SLS and it has performed perfectly ever since it was driven out of the showroom. Absolutely no mechanical problems at all. The ride is a little rough and the seats are not as comfortable as I would like. But the V6 is strong and the auto trans shifts nicely. I drive on the highway a lot and my gas milage averages just above 20 MPG.

Once the problems were fixed...
By bigwarranty on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The first 5 month of ownership were hell. The truck had water leaks like you would not believe. They fixed 5 different leaks 4 times, and replaced the rug and jute 3 times because mold from the water getting under the rug made the interior unhealthy to even sit in. LSS, the Division Manager met with me and gave me options. I wanted them to buy back the truck, but they wanted to charge me for miles. No way! In the end, I let them fix this truck "one last time" and I would agree to keep it if they gave me a 7 yr./100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Once everything was fixed, I fell in love with my truck... and it smells like a new truck should.