Used 2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Good little truck
By njoosse

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nice little truck, very reliable. Lots of power, tows easily, good on gas. Its ten years old, with 115000miles, starting to rust. No issues with reliability at all, but I find it has a lot of rattles and squeaks, more than I would expect. Everything works good, air blows cold, heated seats, etc..., overall a good truck.

Favorite Features

Lots of power from the 4.3L

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish, rusting a bit prematurely.

Great little truck
By dustin

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't had this truck very long so i can't say about the reliability. But it seems really solid. I have the zr2 package. It rides really good for a 4x4. The gas mileage isn't horrible, it is a truck after all. It will get up and go, but my moms minivan will go faster. But her van can't go thru mud!!!

Favorite Features

Engine, seats, zr2

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage but keep the power. I will take more power over better gas mileage.

love my sonoma
By foster

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

expensive truck to fix, only 85000 kms, changed o2 sensors, battery, brakes, front bearings, front bushings, 4x4 actuator valve, around $3000 so far in repairs, paint is chipping off bottom 2 inches of the 3rd door, still love my truck, 4x4 does not engage properly when its below 0 degrees C. Moisture buildup in the air line.

Favorite Features

color

Suggested Improvements

higher quality parts suppliers, come n only 85 000 kms and replace the front end. Make the rear box liner easier to take out get bed rails

170000 mile review
By Wishbone

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. The biggest complaint I have is the warranty is not good. At 30000 miles the rear axle went out. They rebuilt it with no questions asked. At 40000 miles it went out again, again they rebuilt it and no questions asked. I never towed anything and never abused the truck. The mechanic said he heard a whine at 50000 miles and he was overriden by the rep that was deaf and said he heard nothing. At 52000 miles the rear axle crapped out again and GMC said it was out of warranty and I was on my own. Got a junk yard axle and have had no problems with it since. I've replaced the A/C compressor and the fuel pump, but no other major items and am at 170000 miles! Love this truck

Favorite Features

Economy, easy driving, nice ride for a small truck

Suggested Improvements

Tell GMC to get a better warranty, or actually fix the problem instead of putting a band-aid on it

Love it after 100K miles
By safeman

2002 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the truck for 5 years and have a little over 111,000 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance, have not had to repair anything. Got 105,000 miles on the original tires! Extremely reliable. Rides as well today as when I first bought it. Had an accident in it at 80 mph on I-95. I was hit in the passenger door, spun 180 degrees and slid across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic. I ended up facing the wrong way on the opposite shoulder of the interstate. The truck was rock solid during the entire ordeal. The truck still looks good, runs well and is comfortable. It still gets 20 mpg. After reading some of the earlier comments, I wonder whether we are talking about the same vehicle.

Favorite Features

Powerful V6 engine. Comfortable interior even after 5 years of use. I should have bought the 4WD instead of the 2 WD.

Suggested Improvements

Large blind spots. Tailgate straps (wires) are weak. Third door handle has broken twice.