Used 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

SLS 4.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic 4.6 ft. Bed - (12 reviews )

Awesome. Wish they still made them.
By ChadneyG5

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new. I drive it every day & have ridden it hard with frequent off-roading and towing. It has had almost no problems. I now have 130k miles on it (in 2010) & it runs like new. Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace the fuel pump & water pump. There is a door hinge pin that is a design flaw that must be replaced approx. every 100k mi. for $40. I've owned 3 Toyota trucks previously and got this because of the 0% 60mo. financing. None of my Toyotas ran this well for so long, with such comfort. The MPG was about the same. I average 16-18.

Looks great. Runs flawlessly. Strong engine. Good comfort/convenience.

Wish it would have had a ZR2 option (it cost me around $1000 to install mild lifts to get the ZR2 appearance--before lifting, people thought it was a 2WD). Stock is too low. Bigger gas tank. I can only go about 270 miles on a tank.

Miles per gallon
By patty

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Sonoma never even got 19 on a good day. It only gets 17 on the highway. I drive 50 miles round trip highway miles to work every day. I have had it for 6 months and I have to sell it because of the poor mpg.

The bed

Better mpg

Very happy
By larry moore

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We are the original owners and are very happy with our first 4x4 vehicle. We cannot believe how great the ride is for being a 4x4. The performance is great with the 4.3 engine. We drive for 7 hrs to get up north in the summer and we both feel fresh, even tho we each sat in the same position all the way. We make sure that it is maintained regularly. We are seniors and are depending on never getting rid of our 2002 Sonoma 4x4 extended cab.

Performance and comfort

Rear cup holders

Poor gas mileage/repairs under warranty?
By Linda

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a roar in the engine from time to time that sounds like I have shifted to 4 WD when it is definitely in 2WD. Taken in to the dealer and he can never hear that sound. Does not do it all the time but when it does it sounds like the engine is going to come out from under the hood. Been in the shop 5x with shifting problems, shims, water in headlamp, wind noise both front doors, very poor gas mileage empty load or pulling trailor. Would not recommend this truck to anyone.Center console is too small and tight up front. backseat leg area too small. Just me and the dog and still not enough room.Bummer cruise control. Cheap, would have paid the difference for a good cruise controller.

Fog headlamps, good exceleration if you are willing to spend the money on gas. Tows well if the engine is not stuck in a windup mode. Headreast on passengers side are too high and dangerous blind spot.

Go back to the design of 1997 and improve the gas mileage. Fix the seating so there is not a blind spot. Having to keep my truck for 7 days at a time to get the repairs fixed. Computer diagnostics did not work on my problems they had to run them down by trial and error!

gmc items
By hoss II

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle needs aproximately 50 more horse power to be a good work truck. It suffers from a blind spot over the right rear corner due to the location and size of the c pillar and rear seat headrests. The fit and finish of the sheet metal (out of Linden NJ) was less than stellar. Warranty repairs to AC compressor, transfer case electric shift solenoid and air distribution system vacuum motors required

Appearance is sharper than the replacement vehicle

As I mentioned above, 50 more HP