2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

SLS 4.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic 4.6 ft. Bed - (12 reviews )
Awesome. Wish they still made them.
By ChadneyG5 on 04/23/10 21:54 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new. I drive it every day & have ridden it hard with frequent off-roading and towing. It has had almost no problems. I now have 130k miles on it (in 2010) & it runs like new. Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace the fuel pump & water pump. There is a door hinge pin that is a design flaw that must be replaced approx. every 100k mi. for $40. I've owned 3 Toyota trucks previously and got this because of the 0% 60mo. financing. None of my Toyotas ran this well for so long, with such comfort. The MPG was about the same. I average 16-18.

Miles per gallon
By patty on 07/12/08 06:50 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Sonoma never even got 19 on a good day. It only gets 17 on the highway. I drive 50 miles round trip highway miles to work every day. I have had it for 6 months and I have to sell it because of the poor mpg.

Very happy
By larry moore on 12/24/07 14:32 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We are the original owners and are very happy with our first 4x4 vehicle. We cannot believe how great the ride is for being a 4x4. The performance is great with the 4.3 engine. We drive for 7 hrs to get up north in the summer and we both feel fresh, even tho we each sat in the same position all the way. We make sure that it is maintained regularly. We are seniors and are depending on never getting rid of our 2002 Sonoma 4x4 extended cab.

Poor gas mileage/repairs under warranty?
By Linda on 08/02/06 07:34 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a roar in the engine from time to time that sounds like I have shifted to 4 WD when it is definitely in 2WD. Taken in to the dealer and he can never hear that sound. Does not do it all the time but when it does it sounds like the engine is going to come out from under the hood. Been in the shop 5x with shifting problems, shims, water in headlamp, wind noise both front doors, very poor gas mileage empty load or pulling trailor. Would not recommend this truck to anyone.Center console is too small and tight up front. backseat leg area too small. Just me and the dog and still not enough room.Bummer cruise control. Cheap, would have paid the difference for a good cruise controller.

gmc items
By hoss II on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle needs aproximately 50 more horse power to be a good work truck. It suffers from a blind spot over the right rear corner due to the location and size of the c pillar and rear seat headrests. The fit and finish of the sheet metal (out of Linden NJ) was less than stellar. Warranty repairs to AC compressor, transfer case electric shift solenoid and air distribution system vacuum motors required

Like it...... but
By B-man on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I like my truck and plan on keeping it for a long time. The 4.3 has plenty of power for me although it is a bit thirsty. I haven't had any reliability issues at all. My complaints come from GM's classic little things like, I'm on my 3rd radio and this one is messing up. (out of warranty now) Wind noise from drivers door weather stripping. (that the dealer couldn't hear when it was under warranty) Intermittent wiper switch slowly faded and is now on a mood basis. Noise from the front right wheel well when I turn left and accelerate hard. Scared to go to the dealer on this one!! Only other complaint is gas milage. Tows plenty, but hauls nothing!

I'd buy another...
By barch97 on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've been driving this truck every day for over a year and it's still as pleasurable as my initial dealer test drive. Other than fuel and regular maintenance, it hasn't cost me a dime. Excellent value compared to others in class. Solid and comfortable transportation with added piece of mind from 4wd and anti-lock brakes.

GREAT TRUCK
By luv my truck on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The 2002 Sonoma ZR5 SLS Crew Cab is a great truck. I just traded my 2002 Sonoma SLS Extended Cab( 4 cylinder ) for this. There is alot more room inside the truck, it is LOADED with everything. The biggest let down for me is the gas mileage. The Sonoma SLS Extended Cab 2WD( 4 cylinder )was worse on gas than our 2002 Grand Prix GT and the ZR5 is just a little worse than the 4 cylinder. The truck is a little overpriced( $28,000 ) but is really worth the extra money. The Flame Yellow color is extremely bright and it catches alot of attention.

problems
By problems on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

nothing but problems The fuel gauge sending unit has been replaced twice the four wheel drive is out and still waiting on a second round of parts the power drivers seat will make dinging noises when going over bumps all problems have not been solved still hoping I enjoy driving the truck but if this continues may have to dump it.

2002 Sonoma ZR5
By SlickDaddy on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The ZR5 appearance package, $1400, adds a roof rack, bed rails, upgraded wheels, and full length side steps. The S10 uses black, but the GMC uses brushed aluminum and looks much better.