2002 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Good little truck
By njoosse on 11/15/12 08:17 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nice little truck, very reliable. Lots of power, tows easily, good on gas. Its ten years old, with 115000miles, starting to rust. No issues with reliability at all, but I find it has a lot of rattles and squeaks, more than I would expect. Everything works good, air blows cold, heated seats, etc..., overall a good truck.

Awesome. Wish they still made them.
By ChadneyG5 on 04/23/10 21:54 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new. I drive it every day & have ridden it hard with frequent off-roading and towing. It has had almost no problems. I now have 130k miles on it (in 2010) & it runs like new. Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace the fuel pump & water pump. There is a door hinge pin that is a design flaw that must be replaced approx. every 100k mi. for $40. I've owned 3 Toyota trucks previously and got this because of the 0% 60mo. financing. None of my Toyotas ran this well for so long, with such comfort. The MPG was about the same. I average 16-18.

Great little workhorse!
By BigD on 05/29/09 17:05 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a little truck with an attitude...I have the 4.3 V6 and it will take on those big boys like the full size fords and dodges and stay with them. now this is a stock V6 and it has the sound of a big boy! it tows real good and can carry a big load and still do 70mph...so if you are looking at this model of a truck you will not be disapointed if you buy it!

Great little truck
By dustin on 05/20/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't had this truck very long so i can't say about the reliability. But it seems really solid. I have the zr2 package. It rides really good for a 4x4. The gas mileage isn't horrible, it is a truck after all. It will get up and go, but my moms minivan will go faster. But her van can't go thru mud!!!

love my sonoma
By foster on 03/16/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

expensive truck to fix, only 85000 kms, changed o2 sensors, battery, brakes, front bearings, front bushings, 4x4 actuator valve, around $3000 so far in repairs, paint is chipping off bottom 2 inches of the 3rd door, still love my truck, 4x4 does not engage properly when its below 0 degrees C. Moisture buildup in the air line.

Miles per gallon
By patty on 07/12/08 06:50 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Sonoma never even got 19 on a good day. It only gets 17 on the highway. I drive 50 miles round trip highway miles to work every day. I have had it for 6 months and I have to sell it because of the poor mpg.

170000 mile review
By Wishbone on 06/19/08 23:32 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. The biggest complaint I have is the warranty is not good. At 30000 miles the rear axle went out. They rebuilt it with no questions asked. At 40000 miles it went out again, again they rebuilt it and no questions asked. I never towed anything and never abused the truck. The mechanic said he heard a whine at 50000 miles and he was overriden by the rep that was deaf and said he heard nothing. At 52000 miles the rear axle crapped out again and GMC said it was out of warranty and I was on my own. Got a junk yard axle and have had no problems with it since. I've replaced the A/C compressor and the fuel pump, but no other major items and am at 170000 miles! Love this truck

Very happy
By larry moore on 12/24/07 14:32 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We are the original owners and are very happy with our first 4x4 vehicle. We cannot believe how great the ride is for being a 4x4. The performance is great with the 4.3 engine. We drive for 7 hrs to get up north in the summer and we both feel fresh, even tho we each sat in the same position all the way. We make sure that it is maintained regularly. We are seniors and are depending on never getting rid of our 2002 Sonoma 4x4 extended cab.

Love it after 100K miles
By safeman on 07/26/07 10:44 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the truck for 5 years and have a little over 111,000 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance, have not had to repair anything. Got 105,000 miles on the original tires! Extremely reliable. Rides as well today as when I first bought it. Had an accident in it at 80 mph on I-95. I was hit in the passenger door, spun 180 degrees and slid across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic. I ended up facing the wrong way on the opposite shoulder of the interstate. The truck was rock solid during the entire ordeal. The truck still looks good, runs well and is comfortable. It still gets 20 mpg. After reading some of the earlier comments, I wonder whether we are talking about the same vehicle.

2002 Sonoma 4wd Ext. cab OK but w/caveat
By Kent Bryant on 12/01/06 13:31 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have no idea if they made the shell flimsier or not with this year model, but I had two previous Sonomas which did not receive anywhere near the small body dents. Also, the older models actually had better accessories than this new one such as rear defrost and sun visor mirrors. Also, the 4WD switching buttons on the inside console predictable failed at my 3 year ownership mark, so now I am limited to 2-wheel drive even though I own a 4WD truck. Have no idea what it will cost me to get that fixed. It was always troublesome from the beginning. Other than that, pretty reliable vehicle after 4 years.