Used 2002 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Good little truck.
By Matt

2002 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the truck used with 120k miles for a steal, it's pushing 180k now and I've done nothing to this truck other than basic maintenance. The only issues I've had with it are a crap radio (which is a common GM problem) and the typical rust on these little trucks. As far as the rust goes, the fender wells on the bed are for the most part completely gone, but the stepside trucks seem to be plagued with this issue. Slight rust on the cab corners and rockers, and the spare tire cable rusted and the tire fell off. As far as reliability, it's been among the best I've owned. It's not a powerhouse, but the little 2.2 does well when mated to the 5 speed. It doesn't seem to like interstate travel, as its runs about 3k rpms at 75 mph, but it cruises right along. The engine is noisy, it has that trademark 2.2 timing chain noise, but it has no effect on performance. Replacing with oem parts will cure it, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Overall I love my little truck, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. May go for a 4.3 next time for more power.

Good little truck
By njoosse

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nice little truck, very reliable. Lots of power, tows easily, good on gas. Its ten years old, with 115000miles, starting to rust. No issues with reliability at all, but I find it has a lot of rattles and squeaks, more than I would expect. Everything works good, air blows cold, heated seats, etc..., overall a good truck.

Lots of power from the 4.3L

Fit and finish, rusting a bit prematurely.

Awesome. Wish they still made them.
By ChadneyG5

2002 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new. I drive it every day & have ridden it hard with frequent off-roading and towing. It has had almost no problems. I now have 130k miles on it (in 2010) & it runs like new. Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace the fuel pump & water pump. There is a door hinge pin that is a design flaw that must be replaced approx. every 100k mi. for $40. I've owned 3 Toyota trucks previously and got this because of the 0% 60mo. financing. None of my Toyotas ran this well for so long, with such comfort. The MPG was about the same. I average 16-18.

Looks great. Runs flawlessly. Strong engine. Good comfort/convenience.

Wish it would have had a ZR2 option (it cost me around $1000 to install mild lifts to get the ZR2 appearance--before lifting, people thought it was a 2WD). Stock is too low. Bigger gas tank. I can only go about 270 miles on a tank.

Great little workhorse!
By BigD

2002 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a little truck with an attitude...I have the 4.3 V6 and it will take on those big boys like the full size fords and dodges and stay with them. now this is a stock V6 and it has the sound of a big boy! it tows real good and can carry a big load and still do 70mph...so if you are looking at this model of a truck you will not be disapointed if you buy it!

the Powerful V6....CD Player....Towing!!

offer a V8 an option and watch the smoke behind you!!!!

Great little truck
By dustin

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't had this truck very long so i can't say about the reliability. But it seems really solid. I have the zr2 package. It rides really good for a 4x4. The gas mileage isn't horrible, it is a truck after all. It will get up and go, but my moms minivan will go faster. But her van can't go thru mud!!!

Engine, seats, zr2

gas mileage but keep the power. I will take more power over better gas mileage.

• SUV