Used 2002 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Good little truck
By njoosse

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nice little truck, very reliable. Lots of power, tows easily, good on gas. Its ten years old, with 115000miles, starting to rust. No issues with reliability at all, but I find it has a lot of rattles and squeaks, more than I would expect. Everything works good, air blows cold, heated seats, etc..., overall a good truck.

Favorite Features

Lots of power from the 4.3L

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish, rusting a bit prematurely.

Awesome. Wish they still made them.
By ChadneyG5

2002 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new. I drive it every day & have ridden it hard with frequent off-roading and towing. It has had almost no problems. I now have 130k miles on it (in 2010) & it runs like new. Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace the fuel pump & water pump. There is a door hinge pin that is a design flaw that must be replaced approx. every 100k mi. for $40. I've owned 3 Toyota trucks previously and got this because of the 0% 60mo. financing. None of my Toyotas ran this well for so long, with such comfort. The MPG was about the same. I average 16-18.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Runs flawlessly. Strong engine. Good comfort/convenience.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it would have had a ZR2 option (it cost me around $1000 to install mild lifts to get the ZR2 appearance--before lifting, people thought it was a 2WD). Stock is too low. Bigger gas tank. I can only go about 270 miles on a tank.

Great little workhorse!
By BigD

2002 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SL 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a little truck with an attitude...I have the 4.3 V6 and it will take on those big boys like the full size fords and dodges and stay with them. now this is a stock V6 and it has the sound of a big boy! it tows real good and can carry a big load and still do 70mph...so if you are looking at this model of a truck you will not be disapointed if you buy it!

Favorite Features

the Powerful V6....CD Player....Towing!!

Suggested Improvements

offer a V8 an option and watch the smoke behind you!!!!

Great little truck
By dustin

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't had this truck very long so i can't say about the reliability. But it seems really solid. I have the zr2 package. It rides really good for a 4x4. The gas mileage isn't horrible, it is a truck after all. It will get up and go, but my moms minivan will go faster. But her van can't go thru mud!!!

Favorite Features

Engine, seats, zr2

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage but keep the power. I will take more power over better gas mileage.

love my sonoma
By foster

2002 GMC Sonoma 3dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

expensive truck to fix, only 85000 kms, changed o2 sensors, battery, brakes, front bearings, front bushings, 4x4 actuator valve, around $3000 so far in repairs, paint is chipping off bottom 2 inches of the 3rd door, still love my truck, 4x4 does not engage properly when its below 0 degrees C. Moisture buildup in the air line.

Favorite Features

color

Suggested Improvements

higher quality parts suppliers, come n only 85 000 kms and replace the front end. Make the rear box liner easier to take out get bed rails