Used 2001 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

2001 GMC Sonoma

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

What once was, California ruined
By Lar

2001 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my black beauty, SLS crew with 50 miles on it. I never had a moments problem with it, until I moved to California. The gas destroyed my engine. From 25 hwy/18.5 city to 14.5 hwy/12.5 city. In 9 months. The roads are so crappy they shook the speakers off their mounts and the asphalt ripped up my tires. They were pristine at 15,000 and needed replacing when I traded it in at 25,000 in 2006. It broke my heart to let it go but I couldn't afford whatever would happen next. Sparkplugs, EPA accessories, hoses, and belts were all replaced at 23,000, but the MPG didn't recover. WARNING!! Don't bring a midwest vehicle to California, sell it and buy one made for out here.

Favorite Features

Everything

not bad for GMC
By scott S

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

What can one say about a underpowered truck. It drives great but maybe you should have bought a Honda engine to power this beauty. I'd suggest the 2.4 Honda crv engine. This truck drive great and gets ok gas mileage as long as you stay off the highway. Whoever thought of butting 4/11 gears in a underpowered truck. Oh, maybe that's it, I see you have to compensate for the lack of power by gearing the truck low. The lack of quality is amazing, I've had to replace the third door handle three times until I fabricated and metal substitute. the emergency break actuator two times.

Favorite Features

the seat are comfortable drives ok

Suggested Improvements

Improve overall quality of components. I suggest you call Honda or Toyota up and buy their 2.4 or 2.7 engine design. could you Imagine a gmc that actually ran for 150k miles and didn't have to replace any parts to do so!!!!!!

sonoma review
By Sonoboy

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Great little truck. Have a plow mount for it and it works great. Easy sight lines in reverse. Nice, comfortable interior. A/C works good, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, reading lights in the mirrors, mirror defrost option is really handy!!! Decent leg room, a little crampy on longer rides for big guys. Powerful motor that gets the job done. Nice package. Plenty of bed room and the extended cab provides a nice area for extra storage when you need it.

Favorite Features

Plow package...beats snowblowing and really beats shoveling! Extra cab is invaluable

Suggested Improvements

improve the extended cab door. Improve the metal on the cab rear corners...they rot out after 75k miles. Improve the brake line material. I've had to replace every brake line in this truck.

Sonoma
By no

2001 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle. I loved to drive it/love the way it looked but it sits broke down more than on the road. The fuel pump goes out about every other year, the power windows stop working, cd player stopped working. Had 38000 miles when I bought it (5-6years ago) and I only drive to work and back no heavy hauling it now has 100000 miles and the rear end is going out the transmission is going out couple of sensors in the motor are failing and it sits behind my garage..not the best $18000 spent! Really like the truck when it's running and not costing me money.

'01 Sonoma SLS
By Icebox

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS, 2.2L 5spd Reg. Cab with the short-Stepside bed. It's a great little truck, a bit on the small side if you're a bigger person, (I'm 6'3", 280lbs) but I still seem to fit in there alright. It handles pretty well in town and it's easy to park because of its size, but when you're traveling at high speeds or going down windy roads, you can tell it's a light truck. Repair bills aren't usually too steep because the Sonoma shares parts with the Blazer, Jimmy and S-10 so getting cheap parts is easy. All and all, it's a pretty good little truck.

Favorite Features

Good MPG (I get 20 city - 25 highway) Easy to park. Ease of finding replacement parts. Fun to drive. Good head room. Lots of power-jacks in the cab. Great heater and A/C

Suggested Improvements

Make fuel tube to the tank wider. I have to basically let fuel trickle into the tank whenever I fill up. Remote locking doors would be nice. Electric windows would be nicer.