2001 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
What once was, California ruined
By Lar on 05/07/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my black beauty, SLS crew with 50 miles on it. I never had a moments problem with it, until I moved to California. The gas destroyed my engine. From 25 hwy/18.5 city to 14.5 hwy/12.5 city. In 9 months. The roads are so crappy they shook the speakers off their mounts and the asphalt ripped up my tires. They were pristine at 15,000 and needed replacing when I traded it in at 25,000 in 2006. It broke my heart to let it go but I couldn't afford whatever would happen next. Sparkplugs, EPA accessories, hoses, and belts were all replaced at 23,000, but the MPG didn't recover. WARNING!! Don't bring a midwest vehicle to California, sell it and buy one made for out here.

not bad for GMC
By scott S on 01/23/10 21:12 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

What can one say about a underpowered truck. It drives great but maybe you should have bought a Honda engine to power this beauty. I'd suggest the 2.4 Honda crv engine. This truck drive great and gets ok gas mileage as long as you stay off the highway. Whoever thought of butting 4/11 gears in a underpowered truck. Oh, maybe that's it, I see you have to compensate for the lack of power by gearing the truck low. The lack of quality is amazing, I've had to replace the third door handle three times until I fabricated and metal substitute. the emergency break actuator two times.

sonoma review
By Sonoboy on 12/15/09 11:46 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Great little truck. Have a plow mount for it and it works great. Easy sight lines in reverse. Nice, comfortable interior. A/C works good, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, reading lights in the mirrors, mirror defrost option is really handy!!! Decent leg room, a little crampy on longer rides for big guys. Powerful motor that gets the job done. Nice package. Plenty of bed room and the extended cab provides a nice area for extra storage when you need it.

Sonoma
By no on 07/10/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sonoma 4dr Crew Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle. I loved to drive it/love the way it looked but it sits broke down more than on the road. The fuel pump goes out about every other year, the power windows stop working, cd player stopped working. Had 38000 miles when I bought it (5-6years ago) and I only drive to work and back no heavy hauling it now has 100000 miles and the rear end is going out the transmission is going out couple of sensors in the motor are failing and it sits behind my garage..not the best $18000 spent! Really like the truck when it's running and not costing me money.

'01 Sonoma SLS
By Icebox on 04/23/09 12:07 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS, 2.2L 5spd Reg. Cab with the short-Stepside bed. It's a great little truck, a bit on the small side if you're a bigger person, (I'm 6'3", 280lbs) but I still seem to fit in there alright. It handles pretty well in town and it's easy to park because of its size, but when you're traveling at high speeds or going down windy roads, you can tell it's a light truck. Repair bills aren't usually too steep because the Sonoma shares parts with the Blazer, Jimmy and S-10 so getting cheap parts is easy. All and all, it's a pretty good little truck.

NICEST PICK-UP OUT THERE
By Eric :) on 03/25/09 16:09 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Sonoma is forest green and i have had many compliments since i have owned it. It drives pretty smooth, even with the mudding tires, and overall never had any problems out of it. I like how it has the sleek sporty look to it also.

SLS Short Bed 6' 5spdMT Great Truck
By Owned for Five Years on 11/25/07 08:15 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Owned mine 5 yrs & very happy with it. SLS, standard cab (2 seats), 5-speed manual trans., 2.2L 4-cyl., stereo with single CD, manual door locks and manual windows. 19-22 mpg city, 24.0- 25.6 mpg hwy; range about 350-360 miles/tank. Rides better with a load in the bed. Very reliable. Interior gauges easy to see. Daytime running lights & it switches automatically to night headlamps, very useful. Comfortable. Perfectly engineered for its purpose. Good looking exterior. I added a soft tonneau, then a cap when I could afford, which helped gas mileage 1-2 mpg. Great visibility without cap, limited but acceptable with cap. Small bump in bed where gas tank is, not a big deal. Good turning radius.

Respectable Little Truck
By truckkid on 02/28/07 22:35 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was given this vehicle after my first vehicle's engine died. This is a stylish and smooth riding vehicle, but this is not the type of truck I wanted. I prefer trucks that are raised and larger. Overall, through the 2+ years i've had it, it has been mostly reliable, except i've had to replace the starter 3 times!! I would suggest this as a perfect truck for a beginning driver, because it is only a 4 cyl, has good gas mileage and wasn't an expensive purchase. This truck should be a parent's best friend, especially if they purchase the 4 cyl model because it is hard to speed in a truck equipped with so little horsepower!

Crummy ZR2
By Patrick09 on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have a '01 Sonoma ZR2 with a 4.3 5 speed with just under 50k miles and I have had nothing but trouble with it! The biggest mistake was getting one with California Emmissions, I have had the Airpump go out 3 times on me and the last time wasn't under warranty, it cost me over $300 to fix. Also, the syncros in the transmission are horrid, even after having them replaced under warranty!

Great Truck.
By super sonoma on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sonoma 2dr Extended Cab SLS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with this vehicle has proved to be a very reliable one. i have not had one problem with it. GMC, keep up the good work. My Anti-locks have proved to be very reliable as well. If it is in your interest, add a dual exhaust like me for great performance and looks. Mine look great