1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
150k
By Kyle on 06/11/10 13:58 PM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

i have inherited my fathers 1998 GMC Sonoma extended cab and it's excellent! We recently recharged the air system and it feels like factory new. We've only had the brakes blow out twice and the front tie rods break but that's really it. i love this truck because its very fun to drive but i wish the 4 cylinder had more power. it has the 5 speed manual so it makes driving interesting. all i have to say is that this is the best truck our family has ever owned and i hope to keep it running for years to come.

Awesome Pickup
By rossco10 on 12/09/08 19:20 PM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Awesome pickup. College kid and I love it. Only downside can't find any aftermarket parts.

Most reliable truck ever owned
By Jay on 11/14/08 07:36 AM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am now approaching 300,000 miles on this truck and still have not spent money in repairs. I have changed the serpentine belt, headlamp and tires, but this truck has been very good to me.

Last GM product I'll ever purchase
By Jim F on 10/15/06 12:56 PM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Worst vehicle I ever purchased, and the last GM product I'll ever purchase. Rear bearings went after 3000 miles. Rear calipers and parking brakes went at 8000 miles. Had on again off again problems with the ABS braking system, the calipers, and the the rotors for the first first 5 years. Replaced the brakes pads 5 times, the rotor twice and the calipers twice all in 40,000 miles. Idler arms, tie rods, oil cooler lines and steering box all need to be replaced lines in the 6th and 7th years of ownership. $4000 in repairs since the 36,000 mile warranty ended and the truck only has 46,000 miles on it. Truck has never been abused and is driven by my 81 year old father.

Why GM looses market share explained
By jim4nier on 12/13/05 21:13 PM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The last GM product my family and I will ever own. We purchased this truck for my 75 year old dad. My dad is a WWII veteran, and wanted to purchase an American made truck. His previous truck had been a 1985 Toyota 4x4 which he owned for eleven years and had no problems other than he had to replace the exhaust system twice. The problems with the Sonoma began shortly after driving it off the lot. The 4x4 system proved problematic for the 1st year and once fixed worked well (it's only used 4-5 a year for a mile or two each time). The rear bearings needed to replace at 18,000 miles. The calipers and brakes are the vehicles major weak points. Radio stinks too.

Great Mountain Truck
By BCRuby on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the 2WD 4 cyl 5 spd truck new in '98 and put about 23.5k/year on it (now 128k). I live in Vail, CO and climb mountain passes and drive lots of snow. It does 60-65 MPH on the long grades (3rd gear, 5000 RPM) and 80-85 everywhere else. Performs impeccably with 4 studded snows (3rd set)--no need for 4WD, and I go everywhere. Has a fiberglass cap. Mileage never better than 23 MPG. Cruise, tilt, air, moon roof make for a nice low cost vehicle. Solid and very stable to drive.

Trouble Free (so far)!
By reb on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck 11/2000 with 55k miles, put 20k miles on it so far, and haven't had to put a dime into it. Overall, a great little truck, and with the 2.2 4- cylinder and a 5-speed, it gets 27MPG highway on regular gas - which is hard to beat in a truck! Fun to drive and a great 2nd vehicle.

poor truck used
By chr on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

after 90,000 km had to replace clutch,numerious sensors went and caused 4x4 to quit working while driving,front wheelbearing went and costs 3 times more than any other not a recomended truck. outside of comfort

Relatively average
By gatorguy on 10/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have found the truck to be simply that-nothing special