1998 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
gutless wonder
By gutless wonder on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

this is my third sonoma/s-10/s-15. i dont need a full size truck and i always buy used. 217k miles on original engine(2.2) transmission and clutch. i don't baby my trucks at all, they are used for their intended purpose and this one fits the bill. is it a coincidence that they all rust out in the same places, no matter what year they are?

My Sonoma
By Mark Maloney on 08/01/10 08:39 AM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

It has been an excellent truck for me and the wife. it has proven to be dependable and reliable. It is a good driving truck, nice ride.

150k
By Kyle on 06/11/10 13:58 PM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

i have inherited my fathers 1998 GMC Sonoma extended cab and it's excellent! We recently recharged the air system and it feels like factory new. We've only had the brakes blow out twice and the front tie rods break but that's really it. i love this truck because its very fun to drive but i wish the 4 cylinder had more power. it has the 5 speed manual so it makes driving interesting. all i have to say is that this is the best truck our family has ever owned and i hope to keep it running for years to come.

Served its purpose
By CCfella on 04/24/10 14:48 PM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I bought this truck off a 3 year lease and have put 90K miles on it with little problems. I had to replace the alternator and the U-joint, but the engine and tranny have been reliable. It also has a little more road noise than I'd like. However, these complaints are minimal compared to the reliability and good gas milage it gets (28 miles/gallon).

Awesome Pickup
By rossco10 on 12/09/08 19:20 PM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Awesome pickup. College kid and I love it. Only downside can't find any aftermarket parts.

Most reliable truck ever owned
By Jay on 11/14/08 07:36 AM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am now approaching 300,000 miles on this truck and still have not spent money in repairs. I have changed the serpentine belt, headlamp and tires, but this truck has been very good to me.

Sonoma
By hannahbug21 on 08/05/08 22:08 PM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma SL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Generally reliable but when it breaks down it is down for days. I have replaced the wiper motor twice, the computer system twice, alternator, ball joints tie rod ends, and others odds and ends through the years. But I abuse it. It's a great daily commuter. Put wieght it in the back and it handles allright in all weather conditions. It gets excellent gas mileage, 30+ in the city on a good tuned engine. It only has a 4 cylinder so it cant haul much weight but does well for its size. My truck has the long box so it handles like a school bus. It has that big truck feel even though it is so small. My full sized Sierra has a smaller turning radius. It is a bit gutlus I would go for the V6

My great little truck
By dougstatler on 11/18/07 16:53 PM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Sonoma slightly used with less then 5,000 miles on it and less then a year old. It suved me fathfully for over 8 years untill last month when a drunk crosed the center line and hit me almost head on. I always liked the looks of the truck, and with the 4.3 V6 and a 5 speed it was no slouch. Very handy for light hauling but still very easy to manuver in tight parking lots. I have very few problems with the truck other then it always had a thurst for brake pads and sometimes rotors. It served me well right up to the end when drunk idiot hit me with an older Ford F150. She was totaled (even buckled the roof) but she got even, the big Ford was damaged just as badly.

Good little truck
By gabe on 05/15/07 15:17 PM (PDT)

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Good little truck. I use it for work pulling and hauling light loads, works out great. Plenty of power for a V6 4.3L.

Great little truck does a bunch well
By metuttle on 11/15/06 15:39 PM (PST)

1998 GMC Sonoma SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Owned this truck from new and man I wish I could get a new one when this ones time's up. About 110k and two repairs. One alternator at about75k ($250) and bad catalytic converter and tail pipe section about 110k ($400). Otherwise a great driving little truck.