Used 1998 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Runs forever
By Jeff

1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck from my father in law. Its a 1998 2.2 4cyl 5spd. He bought it with 99k miles on it. I bought it from him with 185k miles on it and am now at 246,000 miles. Its had 2 clutches put in and 2 fuel pumps in its lifetime besides normal maintenance. Just keeps running. I bought it just to have a truck accessible when needed but now I drive it all the time. I am hoping to get to 300,000 miles just because. Shouldnt be a problem though. Tough little truck but nothing special. When or if it dies, I am prob. going to go on craigslist and buy another one for 3k bucks because its more than worth the money. I drive about 50miles a day and average about 26mpg out of a full tank of gas..

gutless wonder
By gutless wonder

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

this is my third sonoma/s-10/s-15. i dont need a full size truck and i always buy used. 217k miles on original engine(2.2) transmission and clutch. i don't baby my trucks at all, they are used for their intended purpose and this one fits the bill. is it a coincidence that they all rust out in the same places, no matter what year they are?

cheap parts and easy to fix.

need to drop a gear when a/c is on. bring back the "iron duke"

My Sonoma
By Mark Maloney

1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

It has been an excellent truck for me and the wife. it has proven to be dependable and reliable. It is a good driving truck, nice ride.

appearance fuel mileage.

new shocks in rear.

150k
By Kyle

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

i have inherited my fathers 1998 GMC Sonoma extended cab and it's excellent! We recently recharged the air system and it feels like factory new. We've only had the brakes blow out twice and the front tie rods break but that's really it. i love this truck because its very fun to drive but i wish the 4 cylinder had more power. it has the 5 speed manual so it makes driving interesting. all i have to say is that this is the best truck our family has ever owned and i hope to keep it running for years to come.

Transmission, seats

more power for the motor, smoother shifts, better brakes and steering (both feel numb)

Served its purpose
By CCfella

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I bought this truck off a 3 year lease and have put 90K miles on it with little problems. I had to replace the alternator and the U-joint, but the engine and tranny have been reliable. It also has a little more road noise than I'd like. However, these complaints are minimal compared to the reliability and good gas milage it gets (28 miles/gallon).

Gas milage, comfortable seats.

The windshield wipers sometimes have a mind of their own