Used 1997 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

221k still climbing
By jeff

1997 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Too me it looks OK but not really sporty, I got the turd brown. I just past 221k And I wouldn't hesitate to put gas and go anywhere,just that reliable. Even with the high miles I still 30mpg..I know this cause my gas gauge has never worked so I just look at the gallons I put in. its just a 2.2 no power but still it has enough to get a ticket..when I want the power I just get on my R-1. anyways a great truck.

30 mpg

terrible build
By Joi

1997 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I do love my truck its looks good. Other than that since I've owned it it has spent more time in a parking spot. One thing after another from a tensioner to the transmission has approx 87,000 miles. the transmission is a good one I've reseached it and it has many many applications I think that the inside apecs should have been researched a bit more this is probally the nost popular transmission the 4L60 just has different for each vehicle Never should have put a 4 cylinder automatic in an extended cab

The color (black),look the stepside

Research the transmission specs. GM really should have thought about installing only 6 cylinder engines. once the A?C is on you loose so much horsepower.

Good truck
By Erick

1997 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've owned this truck since new and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have 170,000 miles on it and it has never let me down once. GM built a good one in this little truck. Thank you GM.

Reliabilty

Excellent
By Desert Sonoma

1997 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Extended Cab SB

The current Sonoma I drive has been well cared for and has had few major repairs. I received it from my family in 2003, but was purchased in 9/1997. My experience has been that it requires very little maintence and was well built. Except for regular oil and lube, has endured large amounts of travel in the last 3 years has held up very well. The model I have is not the most comfortable, but I am satisfied with design. The a/c performs well as well a the heater.

The color of the truck and interior, and especially the day running lights!

For the Money, It wasnt too bad
By frynit

1997 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This was the first car I purchased. GMC did a good thing when they created 4.3 V6 Vortec. This is the most reliable engine that I have ever driven. The body rusts way to easily however, so whoever forgot the clear coat at the assembly plant needs to get smacked. Also, the windshield wiper motor began to short circuit around 110000. Also, the tires recommended by all tire shops are not the ones on the car, which is weird. The suspension is awful. As a result, the interior creaks and squeaks like no other. Also, 2WD, especially in Wisconsin, makes this truck absolutely useless in the winter being that the bed is so light and suspension so loose.

The torque. No matter how many miles on this truck, the tires were always able to be roasted and almost any other car could be beaten off the line. Very fast acceleration from 0-45 and from 60-85.

Make a better rust proof paint job, and find a better use for the space in the extended cab portion aside from the useless jump seats. Also, the fuel economy for a small truck like this is awful.16 MPG is ridiculous.