Used 1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Probably should have spent more $
By Harold Brownstein

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 96 Sonoma,4 cyl.,stick for $2,500 (inc. tax & fees) in 6/2009. Shortly after purchase I spent $2,000 replacing the alternator, fuel pump & engine. For a small truck (4cyl) it rides well & has great pickup for a 4 cylinder vehicle. It gets 20+ MPG, maneuvers well & easily holds its own on the interstate. At 70 to 90 MPH it still rides good and is easy to handle. It is mediocre at best as far as blocking road noise. The AC is excellent, the radio (I think it's original) plays well, and there is an extra input to plug in cell phone. Overall, I like it a lot. My wife hates it. She thinks it is too shaky & noisy, but she drives a 2007 E300.

Favorite Features

I like it's appearance, pickup, maneuverability, & high speeds performance. The AC is great and the radio sounds good. The extra input for accessories is a nice convenience.

Suggested Improvements

Improvement on blocking out road noise.

Great truck
By motor_man2005

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This one of the best trucks that I have ever driven. It has plenty of power and with the compact size it can really fly. The design of this truck leaves it open to modification and new looks.

Favorite Features

Love the vortec engine

200K and still going strong
By rvoorhees

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Not a bit of trouble except a head gasket under warranty. Change the oil every 3,000. One set of plugs, some brakes, and a clutch. Otherwise cheap dependable transportation with hauling capability. A little slow with the A/C on but she still can hit 80.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and the bed

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be more comfortable for long rides, Also the tailgate hardware is not beefy enough

kind of bitter
By Jdog

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Is a 5-speed manual. The transmission went out, was impossible to find a used replacement. A new one will cost me 2500.00 not including labor.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. The V-6 had more then enough power. Started without a problem, even in one of Iowa's coldest winters

Suggested Improvements

Hidden rattle in dash that I can't find. In my case, expensive to repair. Has a strange noise when I have to apply brakes hard.