1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Probably should have spent more $
By Harold Brownstein on 03/08/10 07:49 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 96 Sonoma,4 cyl.,stick for $2,500 (inc. tax & fees) in 6/2009. Shortly after purchase I spent $2,000 replacing the alternator, fuel pump & engine. For a small truck (4cyl) it rides well & has great pickup for a 4 cylinder vehicle. It gets 20+ MPG, maneuvers well & easily holds its own on the interstate. At 70 to 90 MPH it still rides good and is easy to handle. It is mediocre at best as far as blocking road noise. The AC is excellent, the radio (I think it's original) plays well, and there is an extra input to plug in cell phone. Overall, I like it a lot. My wife hates it. She thinks it is too shaky & noisy, but she drives a 2007 E300.

Great truck
By motor_man2005 on 05/31/07 15:25 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This one of the best trucks that I have ever driven. It has plenty of power and with the compact size it can really fly. The design of this truck leaves it open to modification and new looks.

200K and still going strong
By rvoorhees on 05/11/05 22:01 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Not a bit of trouble except a head gasket under warranty. Change the oil every 3,000. One set of plugs, some brakes, and a clutch. Otherwise cheap dependable transportation with hauling capability. A little slow with the A/C on but she still can hit 80.

kind of bitter
By Jdog on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Is a 5-speed manual. The transmission went out, was impossible to find a used replacement. A new one will cost me 2500.00 not including labor.