1996 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Probably should have spent more $
By Harold Brownstein on 03/08/10 07:49 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 96 Sonoma,4 cyl.,stick for $2,500 (inc. tax & fees) in 6/2009. Shortly after purchase I spent $2,000 replacing the alternator, fuel pump & engine. For a small truck (4cyl) it rides well & has great pickup for a 4 cylinder vehicle. It gets 20+ MPG, maneuvers well & easily holds its own on the interstate. At 70 to 90 MPH it still rides good and is easy to handle. It is mediocre at best as far as blocking road noise. The AC is excellent, the radio (I think it's original) plays well, and there is an extra input to plug in cell phone. Overall, I like it a lot. My wife hates it. She thinks it is too shaky & noisy, but she drives a 2007 E300.

Great truck
By motor_man2005 on 05/31/07 15:25 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This one of the best trucks that I have ever driven. It has plenty of power and with the compact size it can really fly. The design of this truck leaves it open to modification and new looks.

Reliable Truck! 4cyl manual
By Rob on 01/21/07 09:04 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

No major mechanical problems for over 10 yrs! 138K only regular maintenance. Still running and am ready to trade in for another Sonoma. Bought new at $300 above invoice.

200K and still going strong
By rvoorhees on 05/11/05 22:01 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Sonoma SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Not a bit of trouble except a head gasket under warranty. Change the oil every 3,000. One set of plugs, some brakes, and a clutch. Otherwise cheap dependable transportation with hauling capability. A little slow with the A/C on but she still can hit 80.

Great Truck
By I love this truck on 03/10/05 15:43 PM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I cant say anything bad about this truck. I have owned this GMC for 4 years and now I have over 193,000 miles and still going strong. The 4 wheel drive works perfectly and other than standard maintenance, and the replacement of the wiper motor I havent had any problems. I have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. I would trust this truck to go from Ohio to California and back without any hesitation. I will definitely be purchasing another GMC truck in the future. I still get about 19 to 21 miles to a gallon on the highway with this truck.

Nice truck
By GMC Sonoma 4x4 on 03/10/05 13:15 PM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I have had this truck for 4 years and I purchsed it with 79,000 miles on it and I have nothing but a great experience with this truck. I now have over 193,000 miles on it and it runs almost like new. I change the oil every 3000 miles and the ride isn't bad for a truck. The only thing I had to do to this truck was install a new wiper motor which I installed and that's about it. I like how reliable this trucks been and the 4 wheel drive works perfectly.

Over life of ownership, not bad at all
By Tobais on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Club Coupe SB

I had some issues with this truck early on. Kept having wiper motor problems, had to replace whole unit for around $700. Turns out it was a recall, so I could have not spent the $$. I bought the truck with 35,000 mis on it in '98, currenlty have 96,500 in 2004 and it runs great. Change the oil every 3000 or so, had a tune up at 85,000 and so far, the only major repair was the wipers! So long term, it has been a good, relabile little truck. Cannot complain at all. Only thing I notice is in very cold winter weather the door locks tend to freeze up, so I have to leave it unlocked then..

Put the vehicle down and back away
By buy japanese on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Club Coupe SB

Wow, Where do I start. I purchased this truck new with only 8 miles on it. I have had nothing but problems. I will just make a list. 2 Head gaskets replaced and now this one is leaking. 12,000m 38,000m. three wiper motors replaced 28,000m. one starter replaced 25,000m. Two clutches and all related parts, throwout, slave,etc. 40,000m 75,000. three sets of universal joints 50,000 80,000 102,000m. Fuel pump went out 80,000m. Had to go back to dealer to have several squeaks/rattles fixed. Lumbar adjustment broke second time I used it. Drivers side mirror broke. Cupholder came apart. Both door speakers quit working.

creampuff sonoma
By majorgeneral on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

An okay little truck that has served me well. Bought to replace my 81 Silverado. I like the economy and handling or the 4.3 vortec. The auto trans was ruined by a bad torque converter at only 73k pampered miles, too young for that kind of failure and forever ruined my long relationship with GMC. Brakes routinely fail when spindles get wet, owing to crackpot abs system that I despise. Too many relays and such that makes trouble shooting for the shade-tree mechanic impossible. Next truck will be a seventies vintage something, but definitely not GM.

Tell me it's not so!
By Showtime on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Club Coupe SB

I've had this truck for 2 years, and for the most part it had run good. But over time, as the miles add up (118,000 now) the performance just craps out. In its prime, the truck was very very quick, and ive beaten all kinds of cars and trucks with the peppy 4.3 V6. But the transmission is dying, the A/C was dying at the end of summer, the interior has been falling apart, the truck has become a complete dissapointment.