Used 1996 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Probably should have spent more $
By Harold Brownstein

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 96 Sonoma,4 cyl.,stick for $2,500 (inc. tax & fees) in 6/2009. Shortly after purchase I spent $2,000 replacing the alternator, fuel pump & engine. For a small truck (4cyl) it rides well & has great pickup for a 4 cylinder vehicle. It gets 20+ MPG, maneuvers well & easily holds its own on the interstate. At 70 to 90 MPH it still rides good and is easy to handle. It is mediocre at best as far as blocking road noise. The AC is excellent, the radio (I think it's original) plays well, and there is an extra input to plug in cell phone. Overall, I like it a lot. My wife hates it. She thinks it is too shaky & noisy, but she drives a 2007 E300.

I like it's appearance, pickup, maneuverability, & high speeds performance. The AC is great and the radio sounds good. The extra input for accessories is a nice convenience.

Improvement on blocking out road noise.

Great truck
By motor_man2005

1996 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This one of the best trucks that I have ever driven. It has plenty of power and with the compact size it can really fly. The design of this truck leaves it open to modification and new looks.

Love the vortec engine

Reliable Truck! 4cyl manual
By Rob

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

No major mechanical problems for over 10 yrs! 138K only regular maintenance. Still running and am ready to trade in for another Sonoma. Bought new at $300 above invoice.

Great gas mileage

Sliding rear window would've been nice

200K and still going strong
By rvoorhees

1996 GMC Sonoma SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Not a bit of trouble except a head gasket under warranty. Change the oil every 3,000. One set of plugs, some brakes, and a clutch. Otherwise cheap dependable transportation with hauling capability. A little slow with the A/C on but she still can hit 80.

Gas mileage and the bed

Seats could be more comfortable for long rides, Also the tailgate hardware is not beefy enough

Great Truck
By I love this truck

1996 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I cant say anything bad about this truck. I have owned this GMC for 4 years and now I have over 193,000 miles and still going strong. The 4 wheel drive works perfectly and other than standard maintenance, and the replacement of the wiper motor I havent had any problems. I have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. I would trust this truck to go from Ohio to California and back without any hesitation. I will definitely be purchasing another GMC truck in the future. I still get about 19 to 21 miles to a gallon on the highway with this truck.

A few interior finish upgrades.