Used 1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Love this truck
By jimog01

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

I have 259,000 miles on this truck not 1 major issue. I just put on a water pump last month and the starter has started to act up, I think after this many miles and 13 years these should be wearing out. I have had some suppension problems but that I think is more related to driving on the pothole covered roads in Michigan more than the truck. I don't see any issues coming up that will keep me fromsurpassing the 300,000 mile mark.

Ride, interior layout, comfort, realiability

Gas mileage on this 4.3 V6 could be better. I still get 18 in town and 21 on the hwy.

95 Sonoma Ext Cab
By Bob

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

I have owned this truck for the last 7 years. Overall very reliable. Over 200,000 miles on it, have changed the starter and the battery once. Replaced the exhaust sytem (cat converter rattles a bit). Transmisson started shifting rough into second. I changed fluid and filter and after a little while, it seems to shift smoother. biggest complaint rusted out above rear wheels and in corners of the extended cab. It had to rust from the inside out, because by the time i noticed it panels were rusted through. I noticed wherever GM puts those rubber plugs that is where the truck rusted.

Style and design, very sporty and a lot of parts to customize.

Work on those body panels so they don't rust out like that.

Worst vehicle I have ever owned
By vepj

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

This truck caught fire at 7500 miles. The wiper motors have been replaced. The transmission has been rebuilt. The engine has been rebuilt. The timing chain broke at 60,000 miles. The brakes wear out every 5000 miles. I used to carry a code reader in the truck because I didn't know when it will pop a new code. And today the starter died again. The a/c went out at 75,000 miles. If my son wasn't a mechanic and my daughter loves this truck, I would have junked it ages ago. I finally gave it to my daughter and bought a jeep. Now I am happy. Don't ever buy this truck.

It looks nice with the two tone paint job.

Replace the engine and transmission.

Great little truck for 11 years
By Jeff A.

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

I've enjoyed my 11 years with this truck. It's still going strong with only 61k on it, but I'm going to sell it to an employee who needs vehicle and so I can upgrade. Pros: Smooth ride, good handling, nice cab design, lots of room in the ext cab, decent bed room. Cons: The 4 banger could use a bit more power for hiway conditions. Side mirrors are known to fall off by breathing on them (2 times for me). Stock sound system is pretty bad, but easy to upgrade. Repairs: Easy to work on. In 11 years I've replaced 2 batteries, the a/c compressor, EGR sensor, fan clutch, plus normal wear items like brake pads, drive belt, etc.

Reliability, rear cab room, fuel economy.

Side mirrors, sound system, and could use a little more power. All in all, a darn good truck.

Built on Wednesday!
By Jeff va

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

One tough ole bird! Bought the truck in 2000 with 96K miles from my brother. Got 215K out of her before I put her up for sale. Various maintenance items replaced along the way, water pump at 118K, clutch at 126K, alternator at 127K, fuel pump at 179K, radiator at 214K due a cracked tank. Never had to go into the motor. Origional timing chain was still in service when it sold! Truck had tow package with engine oil cooler. I think that and a healthy diet of Amsoil and Mobil 1 greatly contributed to truck's longevity. Would buy another one in a minute!

Oil cooler, interior comfort, reliable, fun to drive

Oil cooler lines that don't need to be changed every 75K due to leakage.