1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Love this truck
By jimog01 on 10/31/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

I have 259,000 miles on this truck not 1 major issue. I just put on a water pump last month and the starter has started to act up, I think after this many miles and 13 years these should be wearing out. I have had some suppension problems but that I think is more related to driving on the pothole covered roads in Michigan more than the truck. I don't see any issues coming up that will keep me fromsurpassing the 300,000 mile mark.

95 Sonoma Ext Cab
By Bob on 09/19/08 19:42 PM (PDT)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

I have owned this truck for the last 7 years. Overall very reliable. Over 200,000 miles on it, have changed the starter and the battery once. Replaced the exhaust sytem (cat converter rattles a bit). Transmisson started shifting rough into second. I changed fluid and filter and after a little while, it seems to shift smoother. biggest complaint rusted out above rear wheels and in corners of the extended cab. It had to rust from the inside out, because by the time i noticed it panels were rusted through. I noticed wherever GM puts those rubber plugs that is where the truck rusted.

Worst vehicle I have ever owned
By vepj on 08/23/08 22:26 PM (PDT)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

This truck caught fire at 7500 miles. The wiper motors have been replaced. The transmission has been rebuilt. The engine has been rebuilt. The timing chain broke at 60,000 miles. The brakes wear out every 5000 miles. I used to carry a code reader in the truck because I didn't know when it will pop a new code. And today the starter died again. The a/c went out at 75,000 miles. If my son wasn't a mechanic and my daughter loves this truck, I would have junked it ages ago. I finally gave it to my daughter and bought a jeep. Now I am happy. Don't ever buy this truck.

Great little truck for 11 years
By Jeff A. on 07/12/08 14:32 PM (PDT)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

I've enjoyed my 11 years with this truck. It's still going strong with only 61k on it, but I'm going to sell it to an employee who needs vehicle and so I can upgrade. Pros: Smooth ride, good handling, nice cab design, lots of room in the ext cab, decent bed room. Cons: The 4 banger could use a bit more power for hiway conditions. Side mirrors are known to fall off by breathing on them (2 times for me). Stock sound system is pretty bad, but easy to upgrade. Repairs: Easy to work on. In 11 years I've replaced 2 batteries, the a/c compressor, EGR sensor, fan clutch, plus normal wear items like brake pads, drive belt, etc.

Built on Wednesday!
By Jeff va on 08/13/07 19:45 PM (PDT)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

One tough ole bird! Bought the truck in 2000 with 96K miles from my brother. Got 215K out of her before I put her up for sale. Various maintenance items replaced along the way, water pump at 118K, clutch at 126K, alternator at 127K, fuel pump at 179K, radiator at 214K due a cracked tank. Never had to go into the motor. Origional timing chain was still in service when it sold! Truck had tow package with engine oil cooler. I think that and a healthy diet of Amsoil and Mobil 1 greatly contributed to truck's longevity. Would buy another one in a minute!

151k, so far so good
By donw on 06/22/05 18:21 PM (PDT)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

I bought this truck 1 year old with 11k miles. It's absolutely dependable. The CD player quit 6 years ago. It needed new brake pads at 18k miles. I switched to NAPA pads, and now am only on the second set since then. The oil cooler line seeps, and has been like this since 50k miles. It's a minor nuisance, and too big of a pain to change due to its location. The engine mounts needed replacement at 150k. Right now I've still got 4500 miles to a quart of oil. Hazard light switch is absurdly fragile, and it's tough to find one in a junk yard. Over all a very dependable vehicle.

Don't DO IT!
By MichaelWI on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

I've bought this thing 5 times over in the cost of repairs! The CRV valve in the exhaust was replaced 4 TIMES! Then the trannie went, then 4x4 problems, hen alternator, then A/C, then interior electrical, and now I've blown a frost plug - in SEPTEMBER! The plugs are positioned in the bell housing, it'll cost me $700 to have it fixed!

Problem child to good citizen
By Rwm on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

I purchased my used sonoma with 4,000 miles. Within the first year of owning my truck I visited the GMC dealer for the replacement of my rear axis, starter, carberator, clusters board, various fuses, breaking system, anti-lock breaks, wiper blade motor, leaking hose for air condition system, leaking hose for exhaust system and other minor repairs. My thoughts were that the prior owner damaged the truck before resaling, because after those parts were replaced (free of charge) my truck is running fine.

My Nightmare
By Jason L on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

Had noting but bad luck with this truck. EGR valve died with one week of purchase. Had to have new ball joints, idler arm, and continual alignments. Still wore tires unevenly. New starter, (2) batteries, universal joints, rear axle developed hum @ 90k. Front axle did not like to disengage when supposed to. ABS died. Had 3 sets of front rotors/pads. I could not wait to get rid of this truck. Body developed unexplainable rust @ 6 years! Leaky oil cooler lines. Leaky heater core. So many repairs I cant list.

Piece of crap
By G-Doggy on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab SLS 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I hate this truck so much but I can't afford to buy another right now.It has been in the shop more times then I can count,and I always say what else can go wrong I wish I had more space to tell you why I will never buy another GM truck the rest of my life.