Used 1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Best Pickup I've ever owned
By JohnsonLonnie

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Wonderful vehicle there is a reason they discontinued the 4.3 Liter CPI engine. Certain things go out like clockwork but the truck is almost 20 years old now. The thing had over 300k on the engine when some crazy woman ran the truck over while I at a stop in traffic. It folded the bed under the cab area and the frame was bent near double. I walked away from the wreck with a concussion.

Favorite Features

The power, I installed a hypertech thermomaster chip in when I first bought it. I could pull my friends pontoon boat no trouble, sadly though it was a pain to stop because the boat out weighed the truck.

Suggested Improvements

The seats! Most uncomfortable things in the world. Drove it on a 14 hour trip after 6 hours your bottom goes to sleep and your hoping for the next stop for gas.

Great all around truck
By don

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 94 Sonoma with a 4.3 tbi engine with 181,000 miles on it and it still gets me around 20 miles to the gallon and runs like a champ. I bought it with 152,000 on it and I've driven it hard as hell and it's held up with no major problems except I threw a clutch once but hey it happens. I couldn't be happier with my truck. It has been such a great truck. I'm sinking almost $10,000 back into it to make it a show truck for me and the family to enjoy for a long time to come

poor performance
By Eric C

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well first off the truck is a overall good truck, but the performance stinks. I definatelly recommend the best top of the line tires for traction. The brake system in it is awful, and it will skid or turn sideways very easily. How this truck hasn't caused more rear end collisions is a miracle, and but by God I think it would have. The brakes lock up and it takes forever to get this thing to stop, have been told was a problem with the anti lock braking system in them back them. I suggest you use pleny of room for stopping when driving especially if the road is wet at all, and be very careful, and never ever drive on snow, or else you got really good insurance.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the power windows, the engine is nice also, a little too powerful for such a small, lightweight truck though, is probably a big factor in the handling of the truck, especially at higher speeds, or quicker pickups, don't think the truck handles the force that well.

Suggested Improvements

It definatelly needs a better brake system most importantly. Secondly, a better suspension, for handling, and better tires for handling, and traction.

Great truck for the price
By Josh_

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

The first year of the new body style, I fianlly traded mine in on the last year or the same body style (2003). My 1994 GMC Sonoma 4x4 had 211,000 miles on it at the time. Only major repair was a new alternator at 160,000miles. Blue Book on these is very underrated.

Favorite Features

Reliablity. 211,000miles and it always ran great. With a K&N air cleaner it it almost as quick as my new 2003 ZR-2 Sonoma.

Great Truck
By blondeinanissan

1994 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I love my Sonoma! I would say that the ONLY thing wrong with it is that it isn't the most comfortable truck to be in on long trips. But the power in the 4.3 is amazing! I've only got 95,000 miles on mine and I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. I highly recommend the Sonoma if you're thinking about buying a little truck, it looks little, but it's got the power of a full-size.

Favorite Features

The power in the 4.3, the way it handles (except in the winter) and pretty much everything else!

Suggested Improvements

The seats could be little more comfortable.