1994 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Best Pickup I've ever owned
By JohnsonLonnie on 07/03/09 21:26 PM (PDT)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Wonderful vehicle there is a reason they discontinued the 4.3 Liter CPI engine. Certain things go out like clockwork but the truck is almost 20 years old now. The thing had over 300k on the engine when some crazy woman ran the truck over while I at a stop in traffic. It folded the bed under the cab area and the frame was bent near double. I walked away from the wreck with a concussion.

Great all around truck
By don on 08/09/08 01:35 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Sonoma SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 94 Sonoma with a 4.3 tbi engine with 181,000 miles on it and it still gets me around 20 miles to the gallon and runs like a champ. I bought it with 152,000 on it and I've driven it hard as hell and it's held up with no major problems except I threw a clutch once but hey it happens. I couldn't be happier with my truck. It has been such a great truck. I'm sinking almost $10,000 back into it to make it a show truck for me and the family to enjoy for a long time to come

My Rating
By Earl Connell on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

This has been an excellent vehicle for my use. Good performance and fun to drive. Normal maintanance only for brakes and tires and service. Only major maintenance need was air conditioning leak. Average in excess of 20 mpg.

poor performance
By Eric C on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well first off the truck is a overall good truck, but the performance stinks. I definatelly recommend the best top of the line tires for traction. The brake system in it is awful, and it will skid or turn sideways very easily. How this truck hasn't caused more rear end collisions is a miracle, and but by God I think it would have. The brakes lock up and it takes forever to get this thing to stop, have been told was a problem with the anti lock braking system in them back them. I suggest you use pleny of room for stopping when driving especially if the road is wet at all, and be very careful, and never ever drive on snow, or else you got really good insurance.

Pete's Review
By Pete Matthiesen on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I have really enjoyed my Sonoma. It has been a very reliable truck with minimal problems. It has over 130,000 miles now and is still running strong as when I bought it. The only problem I have had is with the EGR on the engine, but they say it is a common problem with it.

Great truck for the price
By Josh_ on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

The first year of the new body style, I fianlly traded mine in on the last year or the same body style (2003). My 1994 GMC Sonoma 4x4 had 211,000 miles on it at the time. Only major repair was a new alternator at 160,000miles. Blue Book on these is very underrated.

One Tough Truck
By wpnsloader on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I purchased this truck with 33,000 miles and it has 90,000 now. The only complaint I have is the size. I really need more room for the family. The H.O. 4.3 in the 4X4 is one of the most powerful V6 motors put in a truck today and with out a doubt one of the most dependable. ZERO mechanical break downs. Only a few electrical issues. I have towed or hauled everything with this truck from loads of lumber and bags of concrete to a 22 ft pontoon boat. This is One Tough Truck

Great Little Truck
By Whami on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

This has been a wonderful little truck. It has been used as a courier vehicle for the past 4 out of 5 yrs that I have owned it. Still going great. Replaced the clutch & starter. Then the engine at 210,000 because of timeing belt. Body has held up great. A/C compressor went out at 200,000. It has carried average of 40,000 per yr in miles and with the newer/used engine will last another 100,000.

Great Truck
By blondeinanissan on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Sonoma SL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I love my Sonoma! I would say that the ONLY thing wrong with it is that it isn't the most comfortable truck to be in on long trips. But the power in the 4.3 is amazing! I've only got 95,000 miles on mine and I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. I highly recommend the Sonoma if you're thinking about buying a little truck, it looks little, but it's got the power of a full-size.

Economical/reliable but dull
By tuffteach on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Club Coupe SB

Having owned this truck since it was new, I was impressed with the pep (for a four banger) and economy. Still gets 22-26 mpg with more than 110K on the odometer. GM still needs work on their use of plastic parts. Both outside mirrors have fallen off the truck while driving. Replacement parts are inexpensive, widely available. Big picture reliability has been good. Only big part to go out has been A/C system at 50K. Not the most exciting, but dead reliable.