Used 1994 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Best Pickup I've ever owned
By JohnsonLonnie

1994 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Wonderful vehicle there is a reason they discontinued the 4.3 Liter CPI engine. Certain things go out like clockwork but the truck is almost 20 years old now. The thing had over 300k on the engine when some crazy woman ran the truck over while I at a stop in traffic. It folded the bed under the cab area and the frame was bent near double. I walked away from the wreck with a concussion.

The power, I installed a hypertech thermomaster chip in when I first bought it. I could pull my friends pontoon boat no trouble, sadly though it was a pain to stop because the boat out weighed the truck.

The seats! Most uncomfortable things in the world. Drove it on a 14 hour trip after 6 hours your bottom goes to sleep and your hoping for the next stop for gas.

Great all around truck
By don

1994 GMC Sonoma SL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 94 Sonoma with a 4.3 tbi engine with 181,000 miles on it and it still gets me around 20 miles to the gallon and runs like a champ. I bought it with 152,000 on it and I've driven it hard as hell and it's held up with no major problems except I threw a clutch once but hey it happens. I couldn't be happier with my truck. It has been such a great truck. I'm sinking almost $10,000 back into it to make it a show truck for me and the family to enjoy for a long time to come

My Rating
By Earl Connell

1994 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

This has been an excellent vehicle for my use. Good performance and fun to drive. Normal maintanance only for brakes and tires and service. Only major maintenance need was air conditioning leak. Average in excess of 20 mpg.

The size is ideal for driving around town and parking. Has worked great for pulling my light fishing boat.

poor performance
By Eric C

1994 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well first off the truck is a overall good truck, but the performance stinks. I definatelly recommend the best top of the line tires for traction. The brake system in it is awful, and it will skid or turn sideways very easily. How this truck hasn't caused more rear end collisions is a miracle, and but by God I think it would have. The brakes lock up and it takes forever to get this thing to stop, have been told was a problem with the anti lock braking system in them back them. I suggest you use pleny of room for stopping when driving especially if the road is wet at all, and be very careful, and never ever drive on snow, or else you got really good insurance.

My favorite features are the power windows, the engine is nice also, a little too powerful for such a small, lightweight truck though, is probably a big factor in the handling of the truck, especially at higher speeds, or quicker pickups, don't think the truck handles the force that well.

It definatelly needs a better brake system most importantly. Secondly, a better suspension, for handling, and better tires for handling, and traction.

Pete's Review
By Pete Matthiesen

1994 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I have really enjoyed my Sonoma. It has been a very reliable truck with minimal problems. It has over 130,000 miles now and is still running strong as when I bought it. The only problem I have had is with the EGR on the engine, but they say it is a common problem with it.

The 4X4 is really fun with this truck. I put mudders on it and there isn't a lot of places I can't go. Doing normal service on this truck is really easy too. The remote oil up front makes changing the oil filter a breeze

The only thing I wish this truck had was a few more HP for towing.