Used 1993 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Gmc Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

1993 GMC Sonoma

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

1993 GMC Sonoma SLE 4x4 Ext. Cab
By Goose

1993 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

I bought this truck when I first got my permit to fix up and have fun. Then, things went down hill and i ran out of money so i couldn't fix her. Now she's a woods-beater. Sonomas are the most reliable trucks you could ever own.

Favorite Features

4WD

Suggested Improvements

Better protection for the undercarriage from rust

All Good
By bowlingchamp

1993 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

Over all a great truck. I have 180,450 miles on my truck and it still goes strong. I reckon she will run till 300,000! I have tried to bust it numerous times, but it won't!! Great truck!

Favorite Features

A lot of power.

Suggested Improvements

A more reliable 4x4. Other than that it has been a great truck.

Dependable
By Qzardesigner

1993 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

Bought the truck new in 1993 and it has proved reliable ever since. I now have 167,000 miles on it. This truck has the 4.3 engine. I wish GM could learn how to make a good set of front brakes because every GM car I have owned this one included is hard on the front brakes. The heater core had to be replaced in 2002. Serpentine belt pulley replaced in 2000. The major annoyance is the paint, as it continues to flake off. According to GM the primer is bad and won't allow the paint to adhere. Overall, though, this truck has been a good runner and very dependable.

Favorite Features

Plenty of power to run with the best of them. With a weight to horsepower ratio of less than 20, this thing has some grunt.

Suggested Improvements

I wish GM could build better front brakes, and I really wish they would learn how to paint their cars. Oh the good old days of laquer paint...At least it didn't fall off!!

Still going......
By tmjones_21

1993 GMC Sonoma SLS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought the truck after I graduated high school to commute to college. Still runs like it did when I first bought it. No major problems yet other than new water pump last year at 95K miles. Get about 24-26 mpg on highway if I don't go over 72 mph. Excellent truck to have if you don't need a big gas guzzling 4x4 full size truck (which most people don't, especially in the city)

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, no rust, easy on tires (very light)

Suggested Improvements

It doesn't take much weight in the truck bed to drop it down. Like to see it be able to handle a little more weight. Get rid of the shift light (very annoying).

Best used 4x4 for less than $5,000?
By lejorgen

1993 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I use it as a daily commuter mostly, but great for weekend fun, towing and hauling. It was state of the art when it was new in 93. Engine still feels tight and powerful at 160,000 miles, does burn some oil though. Previous owner put in a new transmission at 130K miles. No repairs, just maintenance during my ownership.

Favorite Features

Engine power, comfortable bucket seats, digital dash still fun. Same utility, power and brand name in a new vehile is at least $25,000.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, rust through on right front fender. (Almost all of these age of GM pickups rust through at the antenna.) Have some interior rattles and body/frame squeaks.