1992 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
first truck
By michael on 06/29/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

Ok as posted this is my first truck. The owner of this truck told me if i could get it out of the mess of mud and branches i could keep it. So i got it out and towed it home. The vehicle is still under work because of the clutch but it has been running great otherwise.

Unbelievably reliable-original engine
By Jace Espy on 12/21/07 14:52 PM (PST)

1992 GMC Sonoma GT 2dr Regular Cab SB

"Jenny" as we call her was given to me after my father passed away about 11 years ago. At first I didn't drive her for about a year. It had 33,000 miles when I got her. Then I started using her for work. She has a 2.8L V6 with a five-speed and pretty much everything you could get on one of these trucks. Everyday, for the next two years I towed a 3000lb generator load bank and close to 1000lbs of tools and equipment around. I was putting 1000 miles a week or more on her. Never any problems except brakes. When I stopped this job she ran about 20,000 miles a year for the next 7 years. After 300,000 miles I've only replaced a tranny 3 clutches, two alternators and I've never been stranded.

Still got her!
By Cantletgo on 08/18/05 12:26 PM (PDT)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

Overall a great truck, bought new with 17 miles on it. Had some issues with paint job on bed, torsion bar breakage. I have used this to trailer a 16 foot boat, bed full of wood, up and down hills in southern Ohio and it still pulls the load. Body to frame mounts are rusting out, door pins are worn out. A/C still works. Tune up plugs and wires every year is easy and cheap. I love this truck!

Best buy
By rjritterjr on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased at 48k miles, now have 146k miles, mostly highway. Other than very few routine repairs (water pump, belt, alternater, brakes), this truck is the least costly vehicle I've ever owned and it holds its value. At oil changes, I'd look around the engine to see what needed to be repaired, but each time nothing needed replaced or adjusted. If it weren't for a growing family, I'd keep it, but the cab is too small for two adults and a car seat; now another baby is on the way. Use Uniroyal tires for best ride and handling.

Ken's critique
By ken jennings on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

Bought from friend with 166,000 miles on it. Has been in major front end collision, but well restored. Runs great, no rattles, clanks, etc. Everything except the cruise works. Easy to work on. I've helped him several times on things before I bought it.

GMC SONOMA THE MEDIUM QUALITY TRUCK
By mowry on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ran great until 30k miles. Had to replace distributor cap and rotor button plug wires and plugs. Every year I have to do this same thing or the engine will start miss firing. after owning the truck 3years the control module went out. I just replaced the control module again plus the coil.

great first truck
By mike2003 on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

If your looking for a small truck that's fun to drive and has lots of pep pick up a sonoma. Their solidly built and with the available vortec engine you'll be layin' rubber off every start

Fun Four Wheel Drive
By jtpaletti on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

The truck is great. I haven't had any major problems with it yet. I absolutly love the four wheel drive.

great
By bigjohn on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

everything is very nice with this vehicle but the bed did rust out. that is the only complaint i have. love it.

Loved it for 10 years.
By Scott Kahler on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

Great and reliable vehicle.... Without any significant work, this vehicle lasted many cross-country trips and survived three years in Puerto Rico. My only complaint was the defective paint....