Used 1992 GMC Sonoma Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

1992 GMC Sonoma

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

first truck
By michael

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

Ok as posted this is my first truck. The owner of this truck told me if i could get it out of the mess of mud and branches i could keep it. So i got it out and towed it home. The vehicle is still under work because of the clutch but it has been running great otherwise.

glove box could be a little better and rear side seats.

Unbelievably reliable-original engine
By Jace Espy

1992 GMC Sonoma GT 2dr Regular Cab SB

"Jenny" as we call her was given to me after my father passed away about 11 years ago. At first I didn't drive her for about a year. It had 33,000 miles when I got her. Then I started using her for work. She has a 2.8L V6 with a five-speed and pretty much everything you could get on one of these trucks. Everyday, for the next two years I towed a 3000lb generator load bank and close to 1000lbs of tools and equipment around. I was putting 1000 miles a week or more on her. Never any problems except brakes. When I stopped this job she ran about 20,000 miles a year for the next 7 years. After 300,000 miles I've only replaced a tranny 3 clutches, two alternators and I've never been stranded.

Excellent handling and a very good factory radio. Fuel economy was excellent even when towing, never dipping beneath the twenties. Cruise control works very well.

A better glove compartment door but it has pretty much been a perfect vehicle. Brakes rotors seem to warp easily and pads don't last long but this could also be attributed to the very heavy loads I encounter with it.

Still got her!
By Cantletgo

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

Overall a great truck, bought new with 17 miles on it. Had some issues with paint job on bed, torsion bar breakage. I have used this to trailer a 16 foot boat, bed full of wood, up and down hills in southern Ohio and it still pulls the load. Body to frame mounts are rusting out, door pins are worn out. A/C still works. Tune up plugs and wires every year is easy and cheap. I love this truck!

Push button 4X4, overall power from 4.3 engine has been more than adequate for small truck use.

Best buy
By rjritterjr

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased at 48k miles, now have 146k
miles, mostly highway. Other than very
few routine repairs (water pump, belt,
alternater, brakes), this truck is the
least costly vehicle I've ever owned
and it holds its value. At oil
changes, I'd look around the engine to
see what needed to be repaired, but
each time nothing needed replaced or
adjusted.
If it weren't for a growing family, I'd
keep it, but the cab is too small for
two adults and a car seat; now another
baby is on the way.
Use Uniroyal tires for best ride and
handling.

Rugged interior, low cost maintenance, very reliable. 29mpg on highway trips. I hate to sell it, but the family is growing. Want to buy a good truck?

Glove box door is a bit flimsy for a truck, 2.8 V6 is not enough power on highway hills but 5 speed transmission helps. Cab could be a couple inches wider to more easily fit two adults and a car seat.

Ken's critique
By ken jennings

1992 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe SB

Bought from friend with 166,000 miles
on it. Has been in major front end
collision, but well restored. Runs
great, no rattles, clanks, etc.
Everything except the cruise works.
Easy to work on. I've helped him
several times on things before I bought
it.

Love dash design... has shelf under most of the dash. Love steering wheel spoke arrangement, very comfortable to hold/drive.

Wish heat/cool controls were a little more right of current position. You have to look around the steering wheel to modulate controls unless you know the arrangement.