Used 1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Lemon or very bad luck
By Mike L.

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I needed a small truck for running errands. This truck was available to me so I hurried and just bought it. AT the time it only had 18.900 miles on it. This must have been a factory lemon because I had nothing but problems with it. It had some warranty left on it but I cant spend all of my time at the dealership.
Just to give you an Idea ........... It leaked water every time it rained. The engine had a horrible spark knock upon acceleration in hot weather. The sun visor broke off in my hand one sunny day. Next the paint came off in a huge chunk one day at the car wash and was not covered under warranty. Inside driver door handle broke and I had to roll down the window the get out. It wore out tires and always felt like they were out of balance. NO POWER ........would not pull a 800lbs cargo trailer. I could go on...............but you get the idea.

Tough little Truck
By Andrew

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

283,000+ miles and still the original motor and tranny. Only repairs (besides regular maintenance) has been fuel pump, altenator, water pump, and rear axle-wheel seal. Not bad at all though considering the mileage. Purchased from my dad when it had 190,00 miles. He bought it in 92 with only about 40,00 miles.

Ease of driving. I also have a 96 vette, and driving this truck after driving the vette always reminds me of how easy it is to see around this truck while your driving.

None really. My shocks are starting to squeak, but again +283,000. I don't think I can complain.

Good truck
By Capt Phil

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this Sonoma used, from private party, but was a previous utility company truck. It had about 70,000 miles then, and now has 130,000. It's handy, and has hauled well over a ton(!) in the bed, plus towing a heavy trailer. The 4wd shift lever on the floor is far superior to the later push-button models, which are much more complicated, more expensive to repair, and cannot be shifted on-the-fly, as the floor lever can be (2wd to 4wd hi, only - you have to stop to get it into lo 4wd). All in all, a robust little truck, easy to get into the tight off-road places I've taken it. I also have a lumber rack, which can put excessive strain on the bed supports. I had mine reinforced.

Reliable 4wd, easy handling, good off-road capability with 235-75/15 tires. Nice load/tow capabilities. Better transmission & cheaper to repair than older models. 4.3L V-6 seems like a good, strong engine to me.

Reinforce bed with welded steel underneath, if you use a lumber rack. Shoulder/belt harness mechanism is crap. Indicator lights on 4wd lever failing. Transmission reputed to fail sometime after 90,000, but mine is still going at 130,000.

Great lil truck
By dxfhd

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab LB

I had it only a little while now but it's going great. I had a short on the oil pressure sensor but aside that it's perfect. Keep an eye out for rotten beds, the boxes that bolt the cab to the frame and the rear of the front wheel wells. They also have a habit of the door pins wearing out but that's only about 5$ to fix. If you don't have winter you should be all good. If you're not 4x4 be careful on wet roads as the truck wants to let the back hang loose on left turns snow don't matter much with a couple of sandbags. I've driven a few trucks and this has to be my favorite. Good on gas, acceleration, and hauling heavy loads.

Manual transmission is great smooth and strong, but not as nasty agressive as others. Smooth clutch.

Lacks hp on the 2.8l version no good off road without 4x4 and mods. could use worklight for bed.

My little GMC
By dallask

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this truck for 2 1/2 years and I love it. It pulled an 18 foot trailer loaded with furniture no problem. An extended cab would have been better for my work. Also, the 4.3 liter v6 only gets about 17-19 mpg. Very dependable and reliable- I have only replaced the alternator in 50,000 miles.

Sporty style. strong motor-160,000 miles doing fine