Used 1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:

Tough little Truck
By Andrew

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

283,000+ miles and still the original motor and tranny. Only repairs (besides regular maintenance) has been fuel pump, altenator, water pump, and rear axle-wheel seal. Not bad at all though considering the mileage. Purchased from my dad when it had 190,00 miles. He bought it in 92 with only about 40,00 miles.

Ease of driving. I also have a 96 vette, and driving this truck after driving the vette always reminds me of how easy it is to see around this truck while your driving.

None really. My shocks are starting to squeak, but again +283,000. I don't think I can complain.

Good truck
By Capt Phil

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this Sonoma used, from private party, but was a previous utility company truck. It had about 70,000 miles then, and now has 130,000. It's handy, and has hauled well over a ton(!) in the bed, plus towing a heavy trailer. The 4wd shift lever on the floor is far superior to the later push-button models, which are much more complicated, more expensive to repair, and cannot be shifted on-the-fly, as the floor lever can be (2wd to 4wd hi, only - you have to stop to get it into lo 4wd). All in all, a robust little truck, easy to get into the tight off-road places I've taken it. I also have a lumber rack, which can put excessive strain on the bed supports. I had mine reinforced.

Reliable 4wd, easy handling, good off-road capability with 235-75/15 tires. Nice load/tow capabilities. Better transmission & cheaper to repair than older models. 4.3L V-6 seems like a good, strong engine to me.

Reinforce bed with welded steel underneath, if you use a lumber rack. Shoulder/belt harness mechanism is crap. Indicator lights on 4wd lever failing. Transmission reputed to fail sometime after 90,000, but mine is still going at 130,000.

Great lil truck
By dxfhd

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab LB

I had it only a little while now but it's going great. I had a short on the oil pressure sensor but aside that it's perfect. Keep an eye out for rotten beds, the boxes that bolt the cab to the frame and the rear of the front wheel wells. They also have a habit of the door pins wearing out but that's only about 5$ to fix. If you don't have winter you should be all good. If you're not 4x4 be careful on wet roads as the truck wants to let the back hang loose on left turns snow don't matter much with a couple of sandbags. I've driven a few trucks and this has to be my favorite. Good on gas, acceleration, and hauling heavy loads.

Manual transmission is great smooth and strong, but not as nasty agressive as others. Smooth clutch.

Lacks hp on the 2.8l version no good off road without 4x4 and mods. could use worklight for bed.

My little GMC
By dallask

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this truck for 2 1/2 years and I love it. It pulled an 18 foot trailer loaded with furniture no problem. An extended cab would have been better for my work. Also, the 4.3 liter v6 only gets about 17-19 mpg. Very dependable and reliable- I have only replaced the alternator in 50,000 miles.

Sporty style. strong motor-160,000 miles doing fine

Seats wore out at 100,000

TimsTruck
By For Sale

1991 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck a couple months ago when my 91 Voyager's tranny went out. Was going to fix it up as necessary so it would be reliable...didn't need to fix much. This is a very reliable piece of machinery. Never have I been able to get 33 mpg out of anything except a car! Very reliable, very nice truck!

Seatbelts are long enough to reach around my wife's body - don't tell her I said that. Non-power steering as easy to steer as power steering without all the troubles.

No improvements necessary - cupholders would have been nice, but hey! I can put my Mountain Dew on the seat!