1991 GMC Sonoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonoma model:
Tough little Truck
By Andrew on 01/18/10 07:01 AM (PST)

1991 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

283,000+ miles and still the original motor and tranny. Only repairs (besides regular maintenance) has been fuel pump, altenator, water pump, and rear axle-wheel seal. Not bad at all though considering the mileage. Purchased from my dad when it had 190,00 miles. He bought it in 92 with only about 40,00 miles.

One truck I'll never sell
By Joel on 07/16/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

1991 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Club Coupe 4WD SB

This is my fourth pickup and the best I've ever owned. She's towed an 18 foot Boston Whaler with a motorcycle in the bed without a problem. I have 193,000 miles on the truck (5 speed) and have never had to do any powertrain work other than change the fluids. She's had problems here and there but has never left me stranded. I can't count the number of times I'd had stuff piled above the cab and had her squatting without a complaint. I even got her to top out at around 130 mph once. I'd recommend this truck to anyone looking for a fun-to-drive work truck that doesn't want to go for a full-size.

Good truck
By Capt Phil on 04/28/08 12:36 PM (PDT)

1991 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this Sonoma used, from private party, but was a previous utility company truck. It had about 70,000 miles then, and now has 130,000. It's handy, and has hauled well over a ton(!) in the bed, plus towing a heavy trailer. The 4wd shift lever on the floor is far superior to the later push-button models, which are much more complicated, more expensive to repair, and cannot be shifted on-the-fly, as the floor lever can be (2wd to 4wd hi, only - you have to stop to get it into lo 4wd). All in all, a robust little truck, easy to get into the tight off-road places I've taken it. I also have a lumber rack, which can put excessive strain on the bed supports. I had mine reinforced.

Great lil truck
By dxfhd on 08/02/07 23:59 PM (PDT)

1991 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab LB

I had it only a little while now but it's going great. I had a short on the oil pressure sensor but aside that it's perfect. Keep an eye out for rotten beds, the boxes that bolt the cab to the frame and the rear of the front wheel wells. They also have a habit of the door pins wearing out but that's only about 5$ to fix. If you don't have winter you should be all good. If you're not 4x4 be careful on wet roads as the truck wants to let the back hang loose on left turns snow don't matter much with a couple of sandbags. I've driven a few trucks and this has to be my favorite. Good on gas, acceleration, and hauling heavy loads.

My little GMC
By dallask on 01/30/05 12:17 PM (PST)

1991 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this truck for 2 1/2 years and I love it. It pulled an 18 foot trailer loaded with furniture no problem. An extended cab would have been better for my work. Also, the 4.3 liter v6 only gets about 17-19 mpg. Very dependable and reliable- I have only replaced the alternator in 50,000 miles.

TimsTruck
By For Sale on 12/04/04 13:53 PM (PST)

1991 GMC Sonoma 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck a couple months ago when my 91 Voyager's tranny went out. Was going to fix it up as necessary so it would be reliable...didn't need to fix much. This is a very reliable piece of machinery. Never have I been able to get 33 mpg out of anything except a car! Very reliable, very nice truck!

Great PU Truck
By JRR1 on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 GMC Sonoma SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

great AMERICAN truck! Easy to drive, good off the road and good on the freeway. Good Milage for a large V6 about 24 mpg. Dependable.