Used 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 3500 model:

A Truck that puts a smile on your face!
By don lewis

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck since 2006 and now have 56000 miles on it. The Duramax/Allison combo outshines the rest. I have hauled volleyball teams, 15000lbs 5th wheel up the Cascades, to work everyday and a multiple runs crosscounty and I smile everytime I start this truck up. Do I have complaints? One, the roof liner fit and finish leaves alot to be desired :( I have drove the rest and this is hands down the best. A Quiet diesel that can smoke the tires. I laugh when the Toyota boys try to pull something heavy up the mountains, they just don't have it. It will be the last truck I own.

Exterior body is great looking. I put on a aftermarket chrome bug guard, door handles, nerf bar and MKZ wheels. Steering wheel controls. Great leather seats for the long hauls. Duramax/Allison... nuff said.

The cloth roof liner does not sag but the fit around the molding is weak. Looks like GM cut corners where they could. Rearview camera. Lighted vanity mirror (for my wife).

Great Truck
By rick

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent drivability. This truck has more power than the comparable Ford or Dodge, better mileage, and is MUCH quieter! (I'm a Dodge man) Mileage varies from 22 (cruise at 55mph, no load) to 12 (90mph with truck loaded and 14,000lb trailer). Plently of room in the cab and a full length bed too! Only problem with the truck is the moonroof has stuck open 3 times and lots of wind noise when open. The moonroof cover is designed more like a screen - the sun sure gets hot at an angle that directly shines on driver. The original tires had sidewall integrity problems at 55K. Goodyear great with warranty issues. The fuel gage takes a while to show that the tank is actually full (10min - 1hour).

1. Steering wheel controls for everything. 2. More power stock than I need. 3. Unexpectedly, intimidation of other drivers with the size of my dually. 4. Just plain fun.

1. Put a light on the passenger side vanity mirror (for darn near $60K, I gotta keep momma happy) 2. Somewhere large enough to store flashlights in easy reach of the driver. 3. Lose the moonroof. (screen issue solved with dark window tint) 4. Underhood lights (at least 2) 5. Optional HUD

My retirement truck that I love !!
By my86gmc

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Best truck I have ever owned, period. Not sure what these other bad reviews are about? I have had no major problems. This truck pulls my 5th wheel better than anything on the road. Many Diesel magazines have given this truck its best in class award, and for good reason. Its a very comfortable truck to drive and loves to be hot rodded around. I'm at 45000 miles looking forward to many years of driving and towing with this. I added a Delco navigation unit plus a Delco 6 cd changer, it was well worth the price.

plush ride for a 1 ton truck, rides better than my wifes F150 !! DURAMAX and ALLISON, do I need to say more!

Navigation with rear camera should have been an option. Power extend towing mirrors would have been nice. I installed after market rims because GM's are the worst looking heavy duty rims out of the big three :(

A disaster
By MyGMCLemon

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab SL1 4dr Crew Cab LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I am absoultely horrified that I have a brand new vehicle that actually just shuts itself off while I am driving. It has now been into the dealership twice with only 1200 miles on it. Since they can not get codes out of the computer they can not isolate the problem and fix it. This truck has been a nightmare. It has been to the dealership twice now for repair. I still do not have it back and they still can not figure out what is wrong.

OnStar, which I have had to use now FOUR times with this vehicle.

Have a vehicle that technicians can diagnose problems on without having to rely on the computer.