Used 2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 3500 model:

Best of breed
By Crusty Codger

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Except for the cruise control switch that failed early on and the really poor tires that were provided I have had zero problems with my GMC 3500 long bed duramax allison crew cab dually that I purchased in 2005. My GMC has largely been used for hauling trailers, including my 35 foot fifth wheel, a car hauler and a 20 foot box trailer. The diesel never falters, even on fairly sharp inclines. And compared to Ford or Dodge the engine remains quite quiet.

Favorite Features

With our leather seats it provides an extremely comfortable ride, several times from Maine to Southern Texas as well as from Maine to Florida. My wife never complains when we travel 1500 miles or more in 2.5 or 3 days.

Suggested Improvements

The fiberglass body and fenders crack much too easily. I was rear ended at a low speed in North Carolina and was surprised at the amount of damage to my truck.

2005 GMC 3500 SLT DRW
By DREW

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The comfort and drivabilty beats the Ford 350. I had an '01 F350 which was a great truck, but had some reliabilty problems and the brakes were not up to the task. The GMC is much better overall with towing and the interior is more car like. My biggest complaint about the truck is the gray steel rims with cheap trim rings. For over $40K the truck should be outfitted with Ford/Dodge similar rims. I almost went for the Ford again because of this.

Favorite Features

Sound system, Allison tranny, OnStar, DVD

Suggested Improvements

Back up sensors needed, mysterious clunk under bed needs to be identified and fixed (friends with similar truck have same issue), Add integrated brake controller. Mostof all- get rid of the gray steel wheels! Dodge and Fords have great rims!

GMC 3500
By ronshoney

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

It's a beautiful truck, feels like your riding in luxury. We have the TV/DVD package and that works great for our 4 kids who fit comfortably in the back on long trips. Good on gas for something that size, always runs and drives great. Have also used it to pull out the tractor when it got buried plowing the field, was not a problem it came right out and the truck barely had to try. Also pulled out a boat hauler that was stuck in a field, no limit to this truck.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, heated seats, DVD, great sound system, large towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

NONE

'05 GMC Sierra Dually
By drew

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck! Traded in '01 F350 7.3L for the GMC. The GMC is much more driver friendly with comfort and a more car like feel. Power from the Duramax is very good as compared to the "chipped out" F350. On the downside, the truck, although a softer feel overall, is a bit more bouncy than the Ford. Interior room is much smaller in the front and rear of the crew-cab.

Favorite Features

Driver information cener and customer setting. Sound system is excellent. Tow-haul is great feature.

Suggested Improvements

Need back-up sensors and integrated brake controller

My Truck
By Liz Cox

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have to say my experience with my GMC has been awesome. I have travelled over 17,000 miles since I first got it. It hauls my 42' 5th wheel with no difficulty and my daughter enjoys the DVD system w/the wireless headphones only a little more than I do. Great sound system and entertainment system. Shocks are a little stiff but only when I'm not hauling. I did a lot of comparision shopping and my GMC had the most options for the best price.

Favorite Features

DVD system, CD changer, Bose speakers, Heated leather 8 way adjustable seats, side mirrors that extent electronically to towing mirrors and the 16,700lb towing capacity for the fifth wheel hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Air shocks