1992 GMC Sierra 3500 Consumer Review: K3500/454

1992 GMC Sierra 3500 - Consumer Review

Base Regular Cab Pickup (5.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Manual)

K3500/454
By el durbo on

1992 GMC Sierra 3500 K3500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Bought used with 45000 actual miles. In last 4 1/2 years replaced clutch, starter, and distributor. Costs of replacement were very reasonable due to cost of parts being surprisingly low. Truck is a 1 Ton 4X4 that sits much lower than Dodge and Ford 1/2 Tons -- so wind resistance is far better than newer oversized trucks, which allows me to get 13 to 17 mpg with a 454. This is a real truck with a real truck engine -- not a street hot rod -- but can it haul.

Favorite Features

low profile -- better wind resistance easy entry and exit 454 engine -- easy to work on/perfect truck engine that gets better mileage than my friends with small Ford V8's. Amazing how this truck four wheels in the desert and hills around here. And, everything you buy a truck for.

Suggested Improvements

Would prefer rear disc brakes. Four wheel drive mechanism that locks the truck in or out is bizarre; and I intend to modify this next with a kit that manually does the job. Although, I've never had any problems with the current set-up -- just doesn't seem right!