2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
Best truck I have seen, tested all
By marconi306 on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I use to own a 2008 Dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi, and put 40,000 miles on it in less than 2 years. Fairly happy with that truck, and I have not encounter not even one single issue. Looking for more power, and better style, more options/better comfort/better quality, so I've tested all of them out there. The only one which satisfied my demands was the gms based on manufacture options that was installed like on board info system, back-up camera and sensors, on star system, teptronic 6 speed, auto-lights, shift turn-signal on the mirrors and more cabin space. So far after 9 months I'm very very satisfied with the quality and performance. I highly recommend to anyone this brand name gmc.

It's big!
By marty on 07/02/10 06:07 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 2dr Regular Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

My 1st 3/4 ton. I have the 6.0 gas with a 6 speed hydramatic. Everyone told me it would be a gas hog. I get an average of 18 mpg mixed driving. For a gasoline engine, it's a torque monster. I think it would pull a mountain. Very powerful acceleration, smooth and quiet for an HD truck. On a bumpy street, you will spill your coffee! It is a big, intimidating looking "AMERICAN" vehicle. Nice standard features like the satellite radio, onStar and integrated trailer brakes. My only complaint is that the cab "creaks" when you hit a harsh bump. This is a truck for real truck lovers. Volvo, Honda and Toyota drivers stay way. This is a real truck, built to do a real truck's job.

Great Truck
By Bud H on 05/06/10 03:18 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This my first 3/4 ton truck. Now have 9000 miles on the clock. I have owned about ten 1/2 ton trucks over the last 40 years. I have owned mostly Ford trucks. GMC has really done well with this truck. It is the 6.0 gasser. I haul a travel trailer and perform routine around the house hauling. The powertrain and load performance difference between the GMC 1500 5.3 and 2500HD is huge. I get better gas mileage pulling a trailer with this truck vs. my 2008 GM 1500 5.3 gasser. I have been getting 17mpg on the highway without a load. 11 mpg pulling a 7000lb trailer on the highway. I believe the GM HD trucks are the way to go with either 6.0 gasser or the Duramax / Allison combination.

2500hd
By Drew on 02/22/10 19:36 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Was missing my truck and the GMC 2500HD was the fit for what was ailing me.I looked at fords dodges and toyotas and the GMC just looked and felt like it meant business. Ride is good for a HD and the acceleration is great.I seam to be able to achieve approx 18-20 mpg with mixed driving,However this goes down quick when you feel the need to drive spirited.Seats are plenty big enough for 6 foot tall 260pnd man.Sits up higher than most in class and on a wt comes with quite a good bunch of features,XM,Onstar PWR,WIN,LOCK. Mine has heavy duty everything and is pretty much a rolling mountain of solid steel.

Great Truck
By Ted on 11/30/09 11:33 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Have my new 2500HD 4W for a month now and very pleased. Overall truck is superb and beats the heck out of my older Dodge. Pulls my boat like it's not there. Ride is good and mileage is running avg of 17 mpg. I got the split buckets with console and love it. Ditto the comment that tires could be a bit larger. Really very happy with the purchase.

2009 gmc sierra 2500HD slt
By Brian on 11/02/09 14:43 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my gmc for 2 weeks now and i am glad to say i have made this decision. I have gotten the duramax and sllison combonation and it is unbelievable. I owned a 2002 chevrolet silverado 2500HD and needed to get a diesel. With this type of economy i figured that this is the time to act.We have gotten it for a respectable price. This truck is great to go through the dirt or just to drive around the city.

Great truck
By Carl on 06/06/09 15:53 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Recently purchased an 09 GMC 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax diesel 4WD. Came from an 08 Toyota Tundra 5.7L and the GMC can not only haul twice the weight and tow 5000lbs more but it also rides smoother when empty. It returns 20mpg unloaded on the highway and the engine note is just enough to remind you that you're driving a diesel but quiet enough to be mistaken for a gasser. The interior is also a nicer place to be than in the Toyota, with more style and materials of a slightly higher quality. The Allison transmission is very smooth and always shifts at the right times. Test drove against the F250 and found the GMC a better all rounder, that stopped and accelerated better. Payload equal.

It Seems Like a Keeper
By JCM on 05/03/09 08:06 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2009 GM 2500 with the Duramax/Allison combo. Been with Ford all my driving life. So far, a great truck. Excellent power, very quiet and greater than 20 mpg on highway when unloaded. Seems tightly made. 2008 F250 previously; a great truck but physically too large for my needs. GMC offers similar towing performance, better mileage so far and a better ride in a physically smaller package-- with diesel power. Overall, I think the GMC offering is the top overall in the 2500/250 line for daily use/driving. I was not impressed with Dodge quality; my Ford was great but meant for wide open, all day towing. GMC offered the best package with the fewest comprimises. Very happy so far.

Would take this over a Ford any day
By JackInDallas on 01/26/09 21:40 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second GMC HD truck, and the imrpovements are too many to mention. This is by far, the best looking truck on the road. I'm averaging around 15 mpg around town and recently got 19 mpg on the highway going 85 with 2800lbs in the bed. GMC builds the best looking, most reliable, most fun to drive pick up trucks on the road.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD in VA is:

$141 per month*