Used 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

Back to re-review after 6 months
By SLC

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I wrote my first review in June after trading in a 2004 F-150. It has only got better and better. Absolutely no issues. Fuel mileage has gone to over 23 MPG on a recent hiway only trip of 600 miles, to between 15-18 MPG back and forth to work and weekend trips. I have not had this kind of acceleration since my '61 Vette'. There are no rattles or any fit/finish problems. Only oil changes and tire rotation. I would not trade this truck for any other on the market. I did extensive reseach and I am so glad I choose this HD2500, Duramax/Allison. I would recommend this truck to anyone, no hesitation.

Favorite Features

I love the room and comfort. The info center is still a great feature and keeps me aware of temps, mileage, tire pressure, etc. I love the OnStar and would recommend it.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the XM radio.

This is one super 3/4 ton truck
By Bill

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Bought an 08 Duramax 4x4 last month and just love the this truck. Ride is very predictable for a 3/4 ton, little harsh but if you wanted a smooth ride go with the 1/2 ton. The diesel has got a lot of horsepower. I love the quick acceleration this truck offers. I pull a trailer that goes about 6000 lbs. If you're looking for a truck to tow and gets generous fuel economy this is the truck.

Favorite Features

The new outside style and interior are my favorites. Dual electric seats up front is great and large trailer mirrors work great. I think GM hit a home run with this truck. I get about 17 MPG on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Fold down arm rest for the front seats, and extension in the sun visors would be great.

Transmission/ride
By Craig

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is by far the worst riding vehicle i have ever owned. I understand it is a HD, but come on GM, you're not always towing with it 100% of the time. I cannot believe the research and development guys at GM designed it that way. The rear end bounces 60% the time when empty or partially empty. tryed changing shocks and tire pressure adjustment. helped out about 5%. The new 6 speed tranmission in my truck needs work. There is a delay in shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. This happen 10% to 20% of the time but is annoying.When the delay happens engine racing anywhere from 200 rpm to 1000 before the shift takes place.Tranmission engages harshly when shift happens. Look elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Exterior body style. Interior appointment

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Delay in shifting. Interior noise due to shifting of plastic and weatherstripping around doors. Horrible ride when transporting family around town.

Happy I switched to diesel
By SLC, UT

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2004 F150 4.6L with 25,000 miles to get a 2008 GMC 2500 6.6L diesel. The performance is unreal. I am getting over 13 mpg, which is the same as the 150 on Premium and I get 3 times the power. The ride, fit and finish are as good or better and the information center is a real boon. The shakedown will continue for another six months but for the first 30 days I could not be more pleased.

Favorite Features

The info center and the rear seat room are real improvements.

Suggested Improvements

Standard under the rear seat compartment would be great, to keep paper towels and small items in place.

6.0 L Gas engine no slouch
By my new truck

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the first 3/4 ton truck I've ever owned and it is great. I've had Fords in the past and know people with both the F250 and F350. They've had too many problems for me to even consider a Ford. The GMC is built stout, and while the gas engine lacks the torque that the diesel engine has it is the perfect engine for someone who does not tow all of the time. It has plenty of get up and I'm getting around 14 MPG right now on the freeway at 75-80 MPH. Many of thr trucks I see pulling large trailers these days are GMC or Chevy, they must be doing something right. PS, while gas prices are high right now the purchase incentives are even higher, good time to buy a gas hog!

Favorite Features

Driver information center, the interior is a lot quieter than Ford or Dodge, and the manual shift button.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger stock tires and wheels, one touch window up buttons.