2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
2nd Diesel, I'm keeping this one
By Justin on 12/19/08 14:38 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the 6.6L with the Duramax/Allison combination, not the 6.0L. I previously had an 05' with similar features but wasn't worth the buyout at the end of the lease. There are things I liked about the 05 that the 08 lacks but most of all, I'm very pleased with the truck. Towing is great. Crewcab 8' bed is a long truck though. Park it at home if you intend to go into a city.

Back to re-review after 6 months
By SLC on 12/02/08 10:38 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I wrote my first review in June after trading in a 2004 F-150. It has only got better and better. Absolutely no issues. Fuel mileage has gone to over 23 MPG on a recent hiway only trip of 600 miles, to between 15-18 MPG back and forth to work and weekend trips. I have not had this kind of acceleration since my '61 Vette'. There are no rattles or any fit/finish problems. Only oil changes and tire rotation. I would not trade this truck for any other on the market. I did extensive reseach and I am so glad I choose this HD2500, Duramax/Allison. I would recommend this truck to anyone, no hesitation.

A refined, well built truck
By MountainMan on 09/19/08 20:21 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Well designed, well built truck that is a pleasure to drive, but it struggles to pull my small 6000lb 5th wheel trailer over some moutain passes. ATF temps up around 215 deg although total weight well within published rating. Front end styling is ugly.

Excellent HD choice & great value
By Dave on 07/24/08 18:36 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I got one of the first 08 2500HDs off the line as a custom order back in Aug. 07. For what I paid, this truck is an amazing value when compared to the F250s and Ram 2500s out there. The gas V8 has plenty of power and tows a 5000 lb trailer with ease. At first I had a problem with the transmission not downshifting easily in the 25-50 mph range, but the dealer flashed the ECU and now it's more responsive (although a bit less smooth- shifting - before it was like silk). Fuel economy has been mostly around 10-11 in the city, anywhere from 12-18 on the highway (the faster you go, the worse it gets). Most impressive is the quality. The interior and overall feel of the 2500HD is very solid.

Great truck but a kidney blaster empty
By Steve on 07/16/08 11:41 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I love this truck but when I am not towing or under load she will shake you on bad michigan roads. I decided to weigh it down a bit in the back and that has smoothed it out for sure. MPG is 12. 12 @ 74 towing the boat, 12 at 35 around town. I got 14 on the highway going 65 but that was hard to take for a 2mpg gain. Love the solid feel of the truck!

This is one super 3/4 ton truck
By Bill on 07/14/08 20:21 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Bought an 08 Duramax 4x4 last month and just love the this truck. Ride is very predictable for a 3/4 ton, little harsh but if you wanted a smooth ride go with the 1/2 ton. The diesel has got a lot of horsepower. I love the quick acceleration this truck offers. I pull a trailer that goes about 6000 lbs. If you're looking for a truck to tow and gets generous fuel economy this is the truck.

Transmission/ride
By Craig on 06/19/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is by far the worst riding vehicle i have ever owned. I understand it is a HD, but come on GM, you're not always towing with it 100% of the time. I cannot believe the research and development guys at GM designed it that way. The rear end bounces 60% the time when empty or partially empty. tryed changing shocks and tire pressure adjustment. helped out about 5%. The new 6 speed tranmission in my truck needs work. There is a delay in shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. This happen 10% to 20% of the time but is annoying.When the delay happens engine racing anywhere from 200 rpm to 1000 before the shift takes place.Tranmission engages harshly when shift happens. Look elsewhere.

Happy I switched to diesel
By SLC, UT on 06/11/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2004 F150 4.6L with 25,000 miles to get a 2008 GMC 2500 6.6L diesel. The performance is unreal. I am getting over 13 mpg, which is the same as the 150 on Premium and I get 3 times the power. The ride, fit and finish are as good or better and the information center is a real boon. The shakedown will continue for another six months but for the first 30 days I could not be more pleased.

6.0 L Gas engine no slouch
By my new truck on 06/05/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the first 3/4 ton truck I've ever owned and it is great. I've had Fords in the past and know people with both the F250 and F350. They've had too many problems for me to even consider a Ford. The GMC is built stout, and while the gas engine lacks the torque that the diesel engine has it is the perfect engine for someone who does not tow all of the time. It has plenty of get up and I'm getting around 14 MPG right now on the freeway at 75-80 MPH. Many of thr trucks I see pulling large trailers these days are GMC or Chevy, they must be doing something right. PS, while gas prices are high right now the purchase incentives are even higher, good time to buy a gas hog!

GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD 6.6L
By James Nichols on 05/12/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

First off, after researching diesel trucks for over a year, it was clear that the Duramax/Allison power train was the "gold standard". I recently installed a Banks air intake, programmer, and exhaust system ($2500) and the performance is startling. Stock, average fuel economy was 16.2 (70 mph+ freeway); I hope the Banks package increases that up to 2 mpg. I stopped to watch a local, weeknight rodeo event in Paso Robles, CA and there were eventually 40+ trucks with 20-30' trailers, all diesels: 1 Chev, 3 Fords, the rest GMCs.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.