Used 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

body moulding falling off
By dryan3

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

My 2008 GMC diesel pickup has 41.000 miles and has been a good truck.
However it will be 5 years old in December, and the body moulding on each side is loose and starting to fall off. The dealer said it is a common problem, but since it is out of warranty they would not fix it.
I went to a body shop, and the person there said it is a common problem with that body style. He said a solution is to remove the moulding and glue and buff out the paint. His estimate was $240.00. I'm disgusted that this problem should occur on a $40,000 vehicle. I see 25 year old cars and trucks with the body moulding still intact. I'm disappointed GMC won't take care of the problem.

The truck does a great job job of pulling our 3 horse gooseneck trailer. I also like the manual mode on the allison transmission.

Use different glue or an alternative method of attaching body moulding.

So far, love it.
By Woof

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 08 SLT, Diesel on New Year's eve day, 08. I have put on 17,000 miles mixed mostly highway and suburban with a good bit of weekend warrior hunting and camping trips. I commute in this baby and my combined mileage is 15.7 over the last 9 months. That's with a cap on the back,and with 35 miles a day in hardcore SF Bay Area highway traffic hell. I don't tow but it will haul a back end load of hunting equipment, dogs and coolers full of meat. Honestly, I could use a lesser truck for most of what I do, but when I need to step up this truck takes it and keeps going. I can stick 3 dogs in the back of the cab, w. seats folded and they ride in comfort and one of them clocks in at 120lbs

This is no Porsche but it is quick and responsive. With no load hardcore highway commuting is no problem. The interior is nice, too much plastic maybe, but I bought this truck to get it dirty. The blk leather cleans up nice from dog drool, coffee spills and mustard splats.

Put in a handhold over the driver's door like Ford does -- so my 5'4" wife stops using the steering wheel to pull herself in. Also, I forgot, the only problems I have had has been electronic door locks breaking down, 2 so far. Under warranty so replaced w/ no problem.

A Decent Truck With a Poor Drivetrain
By Kevin H

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a decent truck, but NOT with the 6.0 and GM 6 speed. You HAVE to get the Duramax if you need a 3/4 ton truck. The gas motor with fly by wire throttle, and GM 6 speed, is a horrible combination. It is a death trap when trying to merge with traffic, especially in conditions when you are on and off the throttle. There is up to a 3-4 second lag where absolutely no throttle input is given to the engine, no matter how hard you press on the accelerator. I believe GM implemented this so their tranny wouldn't explode. The engine and tranny computer work together, and the tranny computer tells the engine computer to not give any throttle until the tranny is ready (it never is).

Good styling, decent interior, great towing capacity (get the diesel unless you plan on having a fuel tanker follow you), and tie down rails in bed of truck.

Fuel mileage is not good. 12mpg in town, and 15 on the highway (at best, towing nothing). Lose the fly by wire throttle, and junk GM 6 speed. Allison tranny should be standard.

Not a fan
By notafan

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The fuel economy of this truck leaves a lot to be desired. My truck is GPS'd so I am only able to drive the speed limit without getting in trouble. The best I have ever got for fuel economy is 14.8 mpg (imperial gallons). The quality of the truck is less than desirable. In cold weather (less than -20c) the back doors will not latch completely without slamming them hard. I actually knocked the molding off the door trying to get it latched. When the doors are closed they squeak and rattle so bad you have to turn the radio up. I have had to install a second battery to get the truck to start after sitting for more than 3 days. The airbag computer already stopped working and needed replacing.

The interior ergonomics is nice. I really like the self dimming mirrors. Seats are what is expected from GMC (very comfortable). Sounds good at the exhaust pipe.

Fuel economy would be nice. Quality need to be built into this truck. How about a rear bumper that actually takes a hit and doesn't fold like a cheap lawn chair.

15 months later, still a great truck
By godblesstx

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is definitely a Cowboy Cadillac. Performance wise, the gas V8 has all the power you'd need and tows my 7K # trailer with ease. The tranny shifts smooth but as another reviewer said, make sure you get the TCM flash for better kickdown response. The 2500HD 'pure pick up' interior on the SLE not only looks great, it's durable and functional as well. The front seats are great for long road trips. I'm getting about 12 mpg around town and up to 17.5 mpg highway at speeds up to 65. Above that, it nosedives into the 12-14 range. Overall, I'm completely happy with my truck after 15 months. I've had no problems and plan to keep this for a long time.

Interior comfort. V8 power and nice exhaust sound. Build quality inside and out. Looks great. Tons of storage room in cab. Can tow just about anything with ease. Smooth transmission. Great value!

Seat fabric attracts lint and dirt. A more HD-type fabric would be preferred.