2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
2008 GMC 2500 Diesel
By John on 08/02/10 19:17 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck from a local used car dealer. I drive this truck mostly through the mountains of southwestern PA hauling my travel trailer. I previously owned a 2005 F250 diesel. There is absolutely no comparison between the two trucks. This GMC outperforms the ford in every way possible. I never thought I would say this considering my grandfather, my father, and I have been ford guys our entire lives but the proof is in the way the truck drives, handles, pulls, and the reliability I have experienced with this truck. I have driven this truck for more than 15,000 miles and overall I am completely satisfied. I have to say that this is by far the best truck I ever owned.

My first 3/4 Ton Truck & Diesel
By Ryan on 02/11/10 14:14 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I previously owned a 1999 Silverado 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed and a 2007 Sierra 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed I wanted to upgrade to something more powerful with more room. While I really don't need it for towing at this point, I can only imagine how great of a towing vehicle this will be. I am very impressed with the power of the Duramax diesel, as well as how quiet it is compared to the Ford Power Stroke and the Cummins in the Dodge. I test drove all 3 brands, and what won me over was the performance and power of the Duramax, as well as how much smoother the Allison Tranny shifted over the transmissions in the Dodge and Ford. The interior is the best of the 3.

Needs Help
By Totally unimpressed on 06/17/09 08:41 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Before buying this truck I owned a F250 V10. This truck was supposed to have 50 more hp and comparable torque but its lack of power is remarkable. My mpg is ok until I hook something behind it then its 5mpg... I have had no less than 20 warranty claims in 1 year. It absolutly can not handle any hitch weight without bottoming out. The sheet metal used to form the body is so thin the smallest bump and you have a dent. I really had high hopes that GM had a great truck but after the trans went out @ 6500 miles and many many other issues I'll admit I was wrong.. This pickup is fine for pulling your boat or cruising around but if you want a HD pickup do not buy this one.

2nd Diesel, I'm keeping this one
By Justin on 12/19/08 14:38 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the 6.6L with the Duramax/Allison combination, not the 6.0L. I previously had an 05' with similar features but wasn't worth the buyout at the end of the lease. There are things I liked about the 05 that the 08 lacks but most of all, I'm very pleased with the truck. Towing is great. Crewcab 8' bed is a long truck though. Park it at home if you intend to go into a city.

Back to re-review after 6 months
By SLC on 12/02/08 10:38 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I wrote my first review in June after trading in a 2004 F-150. It has only got better and better. Absolutely no issues. Fuel mileage has gone to over 23 MPG on a recent hiway only trip of 600 miles, to between 15-18 MPG back and forth to work and weekend trips. I have not had this kind of acceleration since my '61 Vette'. There are no rattles or any fit/finish problems. Only oil changes and tire rotation. I would not trade this truck for any other on the market. I did extensive reseach and I am so glad I choose this HD2500, Duramax/Allison. I would recommend this truck to anyone, no hesitation.

This is one super 3/4 ton truck
By Bill on 07/14/08 20:21 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Bought an 08 Duramax 4x4 last month and just love the this truck. Ride is very predictable for a 3/4 ton, little harsh but if you wanted a smooth ride go with the 1/2 ton. The diesel has got a lot of horsepower. I love the quick acceleration this truck offers. I pull a trailer that goes about 6000 lbs. If you're looking for a truck to tow and gets generous fuel economy this is the truck.

Transmission/ride
By Craig on 06/19/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is by far the worst riding vehicle i have ever owned. I understand it is a HD, but come on GM, you're not always towing with it 100% of the time. I cannot believe the research and development guys at GM designed it that way. The rear end bounces 60% the time when empty or partially empty. tryed changing shocks and tire pressure adjustment. helped out about 5%. The new 6 speed tranmission in my truck needs work. There is a delay in shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. This happen 10% to 20% of the time but is annoying.When the delay happens engine racing anywhere from 200 rpm to 1000 before the shift takes place.Tranmission engages harshly when shift happens. Look elsewhere.

Happy I switched to diesel
By SLC, UT on 06/11/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2004 F150 4.6L with 25,000 miles to get a 2008 GMC 2500 6.6L diesel. The performance is unreal. I am getting over 13 mpg, which is the same as the 150 on Premium and I get 3 times the power. The ride, fit and finish are as good or better and the information center is a real boon. The shakedown will continue for another six months but for the first 30 days I could not be more pleased.

6.0 L Gas engine no slouch
By my new truck on 06/05/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the first 3/4 ton truck I've ever owned and it is great. I've had Fords in the past and know people with both the F250 and F350. They've had too many problems for me to even consider a Ford. The GMC is built stout, and while the gas engine lacks the torque that the diesel engine has it is the perfect engine for someone who does not tow all of the time. It has plenty of get up and I'm getting around 14 MPG right now on the freeway at 75-80 MPH. Many of thr trucks I see pulling large trailers these days are GMC or Chevy, they must be doing something right. PS, while gas prices are high right now the purchase incentives are even higher, good time to buy a gas hog!

GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD 6.6L
By James Nichols on 05/12/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

First off, after researching diesel trucks for over a year, it was clear that the Duramax/Allison power train was the "gold standard". I recently installed a Banks air intake, programmer, and exhaust system ($2500) and the performance is startling. Stock, average fuel economy was 16.2 (70 mph+ freeway); I hope the Banks package increases that up to 2 mpg. I stopped to watch a local, weeknight rodeo event in Paso Robles, CA and there were eventually 40+ trucks with 20-30' trailers, all diesels: 1 Chev, 3 Fords, the rest GMCs.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.