Used 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

Well maintained engine took a crap at 60,000 miles
By Roy A. Surges

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

At 50,000 miles and 6 years old all auto door locks stopped working.
At 60,000 miles lifter rockers failed and damaged cam shaft requiring a complete engine rebuild or replacement.
I maintain my vehicles meticulously and have a toyota with over 300,000 miles on it. This truck is a huge disappointment and I will never buy a GM product again.

By a Toyota! It's worth a few extra bucks.

My wife stole it from me
By woof_breff

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The GMC 2500HD is the most fun I've had driving out of any vehicle. It's powerful, looks good, and can haul a ton of cargo without a problem. Only complaints are the stiff ride quality from so many leaf springs, and it's a helluva gas guzzler. No issues with maintenance, and never ran across any major problems (even after 100k mi). The interior is somewhat simple but has nice accents, and is very roomy inside for big folks like me. My wife likes it so much she stole it from me. No hard feelings. Am I a happy camper? Yes. Would I buy it again? Most definitely.

It's got a big ole V8 with tons of after market parts and accessories to my disposal. Visibility. I can see everything. It can haul anything. Powerful throaty sound begging to stomp the gas pedal. The front of the truck looks good. Not as cartoony as it's twin, the Silverado. Def not as cartoony as other trucks on the market.

The Z71 off-road package could use a little more off-road features. Make gas prices cheaper. Interior could use a little more refinement. It's the same company that makes Caddies and Vettes. Wouldn't hurt to improve ride quality a little. (Though I can make some improvements myself)

2008 GMC 2500 Diesel
By John

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck from a local used car dealer. I drive this truck mostly through the mountains of southwestern PA hauling my travel trailer. I previously owned a 2005 F250 diesel. There is absolutely no comparison between the two trucks. This GMC outperforms the ford in every way possible. I never thought I would say this considering my grandfather, my father, and I have been ford guys our entire lives but the proof is in the way the truck drives, handles, pulls, and the reliability I have experienced with this truck. I have driven this truck for more than 15,000 miles and overall I am completely satisfied. I have to say that this is by far the best truck I ever owned.

The comfort, the drive, and most of all the reliability. The Allison Transmission.

A handle on the drivers side for getting in and out of the truck. Better hose for the transmission, I'm tired of replacing them.

My first 3/4 Ton Truck & Diesel
By Ryan

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I previously owned a 1999 Silverado 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed and a 2007 Sierra 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed I wanted to upgrade to something more powerful with more room. While I really don't need it for towing at this point, I can only imagine how great of a towing vehicle this will be. I am very impressed with the power of the Duramax diesel, as well as how quiet it is compared to the Ford Power Stroke and the Cummins in the Dodge. I test drove all 3 brands, and what won me over was the performance and power of the Duramax, as well as how much smoother the Allison Tranny shifted over the transmissions in the Dodge and Ford. The interior is the best of the 3.

Allison Transmission Quiet Diesel Engine as compared to the other two practical and comfortable interior practical styling G-80 rear locking differential XM Radio

GM needs to start putting lights back under the hood and in the glove box! GM could use a better quality plastic for the interior. It is ok as is, but could be much better. It should be noted that the 2007+ Duramax engines come with a particulate exhaust filter. You cannot remove this.

Needs Help
By Totally unimpressed

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Before buying this truck I owned a F250 V10. This truck was supposed to have 50 more hp and comparable torque but its lack of power is remarkable. My mpg is ok until I hook something behind it then its 5mpg... I have had no less than 20 warranty claims in 1 year. It absolutly can not handle any hitch weight without bottoming out. The sheet metal used to form the body is so thin the smallest bump and you have a dent. I really had high hopes that GM had a great truck but after the trans went out @ 6500 miles and many many other issues I'll admit I was wrong.. This pickup is fine for pulling your boat or cruising around but if you want a HD pickup do not buy this one.

Comfort is good, ride is good, and milage is acceptable

Build a pickup worthy of the HD that doesn't need to be in the shop once a month