2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
My wife stole it from me
By woof_breff on 09/05/14 21:52 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The GMC 2500HD is the most fun I've had driving out of any vehicle. It's powerful, looks good, and can haul a ton of cargo without a problem. Only complaints are the stiff ride quality from so many leaf springs, and it's a helluva gas guzzler. No issues with maintenance, and never ran across any major problems (even after 100k mi). The interior is somewhat simple but has nice accents, and is very roomy inside for big folks like me. My wife likes it so much she stole it from me. No hard feelings. Am I a happy camper? Yes. Would I buy it again? Most definitely.

body moulding falling off
By dryan3 on 10/28/12 06:19 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

My 2008 GMC diesel pickup has 41.000 miles and has been a good truck. However it will be 5 years old in December, and the body moulding on each side is loose and starting to fall off. The dealer said it is a common problem, but since it is out of warranty they would not fix it. I went to a body shop, and the person there said it is a common problem with that body style. He said a solution is to remove the moulding and glue and buff out the paint. His estimate was $240.00. I'm disgusted that this problem should occur on a $40,000 vehicle. I see 25 year old cars and trucks with the body moulding still intact. I'm disappointed GMC won't take care of the problem.

2008 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L DurmaxW/Allison
By tdust on 11/14/11 16:53 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great truck,This truck was used in the oil and gas industry and it has over 188,000 miles that I put on it.The truck has never been put in the shop for any major repairs.just regular service.Avarage 4000 to 5000 miles a month and it never left me on the side of the road.Tows like a beast! Used to pull loads of 7 to 9 thousand pounds over 600 miles @ 70 MPH.In fact I liked the truck so much when we got our new 2011 GMCs I bought this one from the owner.now she is retired but I would'nt hesitate to drive the truck anywhere.

2008 GMC 2500 Diesel
By John on 08/02/10 19:17 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck from a local used car dealer. I drive this truck mostly through the mountains of southwestern PA hauling my travel trailer. I previously owned a 2005 F250 diesel. There is absolutely no comparison between the two trucks. This GMC outperforms the ford in every way possible. I never thought I would say this considering my grandfather, my father, and I have been ford guys our entire lives but the proof is in the way the truck drives, handles, pulls, and the reliability I have experienced with this truck. I have driven this truck for more than 15,000 miles and overall I am completely satisfied. I have to say that this is by far the best truck I ever owned.

So far, love it.
By Woof on 04/11/10 13:49 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 08 SLT, Diesel on New Year's eve day, 08. I have put on 17,000 miles mixed mostly highway and suburban with a good bit of weekend warrior hunting and camping trips. I commute in this baby and my combined mileage is 15.7 over the last 9 months. That's with a cap on the back,and with 35 miles a day in hardcore SF Bay Area highway traffic hell. I don't tow but it will haul a back end load of hunting equipment, dogs and coolers full of meat. Honestly, I could use a lesser truck for most of what I do, but when I need to step up this truck takes it and keeps going. I can stick 3 dogs in the back of the cab, w. seats folded and they ride in comfort and one of them clocks in at 120lbs

My first 3/4 Ton Truck & Diesel
By Ryan on 02/11/10 14:14 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I previously owned a 1999 Silverado 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed and a 2007 Sierra 1500 4X4 Extended Cab Standard Bed I wanted to upgrade to something more powerful with more room. While I really don't need it for towing at this point, I can only imagine how great of a towing vehicle this will be. I am very impressed with the power of the Duramax diesel, as well as how quiet it is compared to the Ford Power Stroke and the Cummins in the Dodge. I test drove all 3 brands, and what won me over was the performance and power of the Duramax, as well as how much smoother the Allison Tranny shifted over the transmissions in the Dodge and Ford. The interior is the best of the 3.

A Decent Truck With a Poor Drivetrain
By Kevin H on 12/27/09 08:35 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a decent truck, but NOT with the 6.0 and GM 6 speed. You HAVE to get the Duramax if you need a 3/4 ton truck. The gas motor with fly by wire throttle, and GM 6 speed, is a horrible combination. It is a death trap when trying to merge with traffic, especially in conditions when you are on and off the throttle. There is up to a 3-4 second lag where absolutely no throttle input is given to the engine, no matter how hard you press on the accelerator. I believe GM implemented this so their tranny wouldn't explode. The engine and tranny computer work together, and the tranny computer tells the engine computer to not give any throttle until the tranny is ready (it never is).

Needs Help
By Totally unimpressed on 06/17/09 08:41 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Before buying this truck I owned a F250 V10. This truck was supposed to have 50 more hp and comparable torque but its lack of power is remarkable. My mpg is ok until I hook something behind it then its 5mpg... I have had no less than 20 warranty claims in 1 year. It absolutly can not handle any hitch weight without bottoming out. The sheet metal used to form the body is so thin the smallest bump and you have a dent. I really had high hopes that GM had a great truck but after the trans went out @ 6500 miles and many many other issues I'll admit I was wrong.. This pickup is fine for pulling your boat or cruising around but if you want a HD pickup do not buy this one.

Not a fan
By notafan on 02/13/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The fuel economy of this truck leaves a lot to be desired. My truck is GPS'd so I am only able to drive the speed limit without getting in trouble. The best I have ever got for fuel economy is 14.8 mpg (imperial gallons). The quality of the truck is less than desirable. In cold weather (less than -20c) the back doors will not latch completely without slamming them hard. I actually knocked the molding off the door trying to get it latched. When the doors are closed they squeak and rattle so bad you have to turn the radio up. I have had to install a second battery to get the truck to start after sitting for more than 3 days. The airbag computer already stopped working and needed replacing.

15 months later, still a great truck
By godblesstx on 12/24/08 02:13 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is definitely a Cowboy Cadillac. Performance wise, the gas V8 has all the power you'd need and tows my 7K # trailer with ease. The tranny shifts smooth but as another reviewer said, make sure you get the TCM flash for better kickdown response. The 2500HD 'pure pick up' interior on the SLE not only looks great, it's durable and functional as well. The front seats are great for long road trips. I'm getting about 12 mpg around town and up to 17.5 mpg highway at speeds up to 65. Above that, it nosedives into the 12-14 range. Overall, I'm completely happy with my truck after 15 months. I've had no problems and plan to keep this for a long time.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.