Used 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Gmc Sierra-2500hd - Consumer Reviews

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

My wife stole it from me
By woof_breff

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The GMC 2500HD is the most fun I've had driving out of any vehicle. It's powerful, looks good, and can haul a ton of cargo without a problem. Only complaints are the stiff ride quality from so many leaf springs, and it's a helluva gas guzzler. No issues with maintenance, and never ran across any major problems (even after 100k mi). The interior is somewhat simple but has nice accents, and is very roomy inside for big folks like me. My wife likes it so much she stole it from me. No hard feelings. Am I a happy camper? Yes. Would I buy it again? Most definitely.

Favorite Features

It's got a big ole V8 with tons of after market parts and accessories to my disposal. Visibility. I can see everything. It can haul anything. Powerful throaty sound begging to stomp the gas pedal. The front of the truck looks good. Not as cartoony as it's twin, the Silverado. Def not as cartoony as other trucks on the market.

Suggested Improvements

The Z71 off-road package could use a little more off-road features. Make gas prices cheaper. Interior could use a little more refinement. It's the same company that makes Caddies and Vettes. Wouldn't hurt to improve ride quality a little. (Though I can make some improvements myself)

body moulding falling off
By dryan3

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

My 2008 GMC diesel pickup has 41.000 miles and has been a good truck. However it will be 5 years old in December, and the body moulding on each side is loose and starting to fall off. The dealer said it is a common problem, but since it is out of warranty they would not fix it. I went to a body shop, and the person there said it is a common problem with that body style. He said a solution is to remove the moulding and glue and buff out the paint. His estimate was $240.00. I'm disgusted that this problem should occur on a $40,000 vehicle. I see 25 year old cars and trucks with the body moulding still intact. I'm disappointed GMC won't take care of the problem.

Favorite Features

The truck does a great job job of pulling our 3 horse gooseneck trailer. I also like the manual mode on the allison transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Use different glue or an alternative method of attaching body moulding.

2008 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L DurmaxW/Allison
By tdust

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great truck,This truck was used in the oil and gas industry and it has over 188,000 miles that I put on it.The truck has never been put in the shop for any major repairs.just regular service.Avarage 4000 to 5000 miles a month and it never left me on the side of the road.Tows like a beast! Used to pull loads of 7 to 9 thousand pounds over 600 miles @ 70 MPH.In fact I liked the truck so much when we got our new 2011 GMCs I bought this one from the owner.now she is retired but I would'nt hesitate to drive the truck anywhere.

Favorite Features

Towing,Hauling,Relialibilty

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior,Rough ride

2008 GMC 2500 Diesel
By John

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck from a local used car dealer. I drive this truck mostly through the mountains of southwestern PA hauling my travel trailer. I previously owned a 2005 F250 diesel. There is absolutely no comparison between the two trucks. This GMC outperforms the ford in every way possible. I never thought I would say this considering my grandfather, my father, and I have been ford guys our entire lives but the proof is in the way the truck drives, handles, pulls, and the reliability I have experienced with this truck. I have driven this truck for more than 15,000 miles and overall I am completely satisfied. I have to say that this is by far the best truck I ever owned.

Favorite Features

The comfort, the drive, and most of all the reliability. The Allison Transmission.

Suggested Improvements

A handle on the drivers side for getting in and out of the truck. Better hose for the transmission, I'm tired of replacing them.

So far, love it.
By Woof

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 08 SLT, Diesel on New Year's eve day, 08. I have put on 17,000 miles mixed mostly highway and suburban with a good bit of weekend warrior hunting and camping trips. I commute in this baby and my combined mileage is 15.7 over the last 9 months. That's with a cap on the back,and with 35 miles a day in hardcore SF Bay Area highway traffic hell. I don't tow but it will haul a back end load of hunting equipment, dogs and coolers full of meat. Honestly, I could use a lesser truck for most of what I do, but when I need to step up this truck takes it and keeps going. I can stick 3 dogs in the back of the cab, w. seats folded and they ride in comfort and one of them clocks in at 120lbs

Favorite Features

This is no Porsche but it is quick and responsive. With no load hardcore highway commuting is no problem. The interior is nice, too much plastic maybe, but I bought this truck to get it dirty. The blk leather cleans up nice from dog drool, coffee spills and mustard splats.

Suggested Improvements

Put in a handhold over the driver's door like Ford does -- so my 5'4" wife stops using the steering wheel to pull herself in. Also, I forgot, the only problems I have had has been electronic door locks breaking down, 2 so far. Under warranty so replaced w/ no problem.