Used 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

Well maintained engine took a crap at 60,000 miles
By Roy A. Surges

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

At 50,000 miles and 6 years old all auto door locks stopped working.
At 60,000 miles lifter rockers failed and damaged cam shaft requiring a complete engine rebuild or replacement.
I maintain my vehicles meticulously and have a toyota with over 300,000 miles on it. This truck is a huge disappointment and I will never buy a GM product again.

By a Toyota! It's worth a few extra bucks.

My wife stole it from me
By woof_breff

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The GMC 2500HD is the most fun I've had driving out of any vehicle. It's powerful, looks good, and can haul a ton of cargo without a problem. Only complaints are the stiff ride quality from so many leaf springs, and it's a helluva gas guzzler. No issues with maintenance, and never ran across any major problems (even after 100k mi). The interior is somewhat simple but has nice accents, and is very roomy inside for big folks like me. My wife likes it so much she stole it from me. No hard feelings. Am I a happy camper? Yes. Would I buy it again? Most definitely.

It's got a big ole V8 with tons of after market parts and accessories to my disposal. Visibility. I can see everything. It can haul anything. Powerful throaty sound begging to stomp the gas pedal. The front of the truck looks good. Not as cartoony as it's twin, the Silverado. Def not as cartoony as other trucks on the market.

The Z71 off-road package could use a little more off-road features. Make gas prices cheaper. Interior could use a little more refinement. It's the same company that makes Caddies and Vettes. Wouldn't hurt to improve ride quality a little. (Though I can make some improvements myself)

body moulding falling off
By dryan3

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

My 2008 GMC diesel pickup has 41.000 miles and has been a good truck.
However it will be 5 years old in December, and the body moulding on each side is loose and starting to fall off. The dealer said it is a common problem, but since it is out of warranty they would not fix it.
I went to a body shop, and the person there said it is a common problem with that body style. He said a solution is to remove the moulding and glue and buff out the paint. His estimate was $240.00. I'm disgusted that this problem should occur on a $40,000 vehicle. I see 25 year old cars and trucks with the body moulding still intact. I'm disappointed GMC won't take care of the problem.

The truck does a great job job of pulling our 3 horse gooseneck trailer. I also like the manual mode on the allison transmission.

Use different glue or an alternative method of attaching body moulding.

2008 2500 HD 4x4 6.6L DurmaxW/Allison
By tdust

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great truck,This truck was used in the oil and gas industry and it has over 188,000 miles that I put on it.The truck has never been put in the shop for any major repairs.just regular service.Avarage 4000 to 5000 miles a month and it never left me on the side of the road.Tows like a beast! Used to pull loads of 7 to 9 thousand pounds over 600 miles @ 70 MPH.In fact I liked the truck so much when we got our new 2011 GMCs I bought this one from the owner.now she is retired but I would'nt hesitate to drive the truck anywhere.

Towing,Hauling,Relialibilty

Cheap interior,Rough ride

2008 GMC 2500 Diesel
By John

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this truck from a local used car dealer. I drive this truck mostly through the mountains of southwestern PA hauling my travel trailer. I previously owned a 2005 F250 diesel. There is absolutely no comparison between the two trucks. This GMC outperforms the ford in every way possible. I never thought I would say this considering my grandfather, my father, and I have been ford guys our entire lives but the proof is in the way the truck drives, handles, pulls, and the reliability I have experienced with this truck. I have driven this truck for more than 15,000 miles and overall I am completely satisfied. I have to say that this is by far the best truck I ever owned.

The comfort, the drive, and most of all the reliability. The Allison Transmission.

A handle on the drivers side for getting in and out of the truck. Better hose for the transmission, I'm tired of replacing them.