Used 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

Professional Work Truck
By Ralex

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

In "07 I needed a truck to tow a 7000lb 14x9x9 box trailer in western PA. I test drove 'em all and fell in love with a Ford until I learned GM had the most torque, hp & mpg. Found a GMC L82 with all towing packages. I tow 5 days a week and avg 9.5mpg city and 15 on the hwy at 62mph or 2k rpm, above 65 mph the aero drag zaps the mileage to 10.5. The PA hills takes another mpg. Without my trailer I get 15 city and 21.5 hwy. I love the performance and the bucket style seats, it feels like a Camaro on steroids. Get compliments every where I go and with 30K miles I've been everywhere.

Love the OnStar e-mail updates & MP3 connect. Only thing I've had to change is the oil & filter; have K&N air filter. Tranny fluid is still full & pink. Plenty of torque; have to be careful when road is wet.

Stabiltrac which GM added in'08, so I'll have it next time. Can always use a little more horsepower and fuel mileage.

Very Powerful. Very Comfortable
By Dennymax

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have been driving my truck for about a year & a half. I was excited at first because it was new. Now I am still excited! The Duramax/Allison is a just a great design. There is so much power for towing. This truck should come with a warning light reminding you that a trailer is attached because you will forget that it's there! No more "white knuckle" driving while towing, built in brake controller works really well. This is just flat out awesome! The seats are like flying 1st class, interior is much improved. SLT has all the goodies, more like a luxury car, except it's a truck. Why have a car anymore?

Comfort. And it's quiet. Fuel economy. Towing. Power.

Driver side grab bar, ladder system to get into the truck bed (like the Ford) & motorized mirrors, or lowered mirrors for better visability out the sides/doorposts.

Clean GMC
By Jack

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the 6.0ltr WT version two weeks before leaving Maryland. Installed cruise control and hauled 5500 lbs on a 16ft tandem trailer and 1000 lbs in the bed. Averaged 16mpg on Hwy after tuning with the Diablo Predator using 87 octane gas. I have the 4:10 HD posi-lock rear. I average 12-13 mph in town. I would have liked the 6spd Allison transmission.

Firm ride, drives and pulls great with the loads I've used so far.

More pockets/compartments. Overhead storage. In bed trailer-light hook up for 5th wheels/trailers.

My first diesel
By cdietz

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I never had a diesel before but my prior experience with gas trucks was tainted with getting 13-15 mpg. So I opted for the diesel with the allison. Wow. I get 19mpg average and on highway trips I average 21.5. I put about 31000 on it so far in 10 months of ownership and I have no complaints. The true genius of this whole setup is the transmission. In tow/haul mode it downshifts for you when you brake while matching revs. Really saves the brakes and instills total confidence in pulling heavy loads - skid steers, tractors, trailers full of blocks, etc. I get about 15-16mpg while towing on the highway. Great truck!

Allison transmission is awesome and limitless power from the diesel. Very quiet on the road.

Smaller tailpipe. People think I am trying to make a statement...

2500HD
By 2500HD

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

At first I didn't like the styling, because it looks like a Ford. I chose the 6L gasoline engine in the 2500HD to avoid active fuel management in the 5.3L engine. With only occasional towing, the gasoline motor is a good choice for acceleration with less maintainence. The gas mileage is only slightly worse than I am used to with my Jeep Wrangler. The brakes are really powerful once broken in. Comfort on the open road is great. I bought the vehicle on the internet at great price, but it came without cruise control. I asked the local dealer if he could add it and they said "no". On my Wrangler, it was no problem because the wiring is already there, but GM doesn't do this.

The brakes are real treat after my Jeep Wrangler, which had underpowered brakes and front rotors that warped consistently. The truck gets a lot of looks.

Perhaps it is GM's policy to prevent upgrading items like cruise control and fog lamps - but for customers like me who buy a unit off the lot, I would pay a reasonable price to get the factory equipment installed by my local dealer.