Used 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

2006 2500HD Duramax
By Jlaw

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SL1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

2nd Duramax, had a 2002. Good truck still original brakes at 56k miles. Interior has held up well, get the leather if possible. Engine and trans bullet proof. I tow 10,000 lb camper and boats at 70 MPH all the way to Florida from Texas. Debating going back to gas engine do not tow as much these days. Great truck overall.

Engine, Trans, Sunroof, Mirrors

Leather on drivers seat always wear on outside edge from getting into 4x4. Happened on 2002 also. Maybe I need to lose weight?

2500HD crew cab, SB with 8.1 v-8
By happy GMC owner

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Nice truck overall. Really get's the job done. Best tow vehicle I've ever owned. 8.1 V8 has plenty of torque. Get's better mileage than 454's I've owned previously.

8.1 v-8, allison 6 speed trans, 4x4, heated seats, bose stereo

telescoping steering column

Excellent family recreation truck
By irideharley

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Was considering the Dodge Cummins for it's tough reputation but couldn't swallow the tight back seat for a growing family. A friend had the Chevy Duramax and I haven't looked back since. The GMC Duramax and 6 speed Allison tranny are incredible. Quiet ride, plenty of room in the back seat, power a plenty to pull the bass boat with a camper on top. With or without a load, city and hgwy driving we still average 18 mpg, and at least temporarily diesel is cheaper than unleaded in my neck of the woods. Absolutely no buyers remorse with this truck. Two thumbs up all around.

Pulling torque, quiet comfortable ride, nice styling, steering wheel controls and info center, shift on the fly 4X4.

Turning radius seems out there. Plan on a three point turn around in anything less than a mall parking lot.

2500HD Duramax
By Tim

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The GMC HD Duramax is by far the best diesels you can buy on the market. I recently compared the duramax to other cummins and powerstroke diesels and it out performs them from towing to payload to the comfortablility of the ride. I recently compared the duramax 2500HD to the Ford f-450 and I compared everything and the thing that stood out to me was that the GMC maxed out at 16000 pounds and the Ford pulled only 14000 and the ford was twice its size and still the duramax was the best. So weather you are a ford, GMC, or Dodge guy duramax is the diesel to buy.

OnStar, Trim packages, color options, rims , engine choices

we have had some minor problems with he allison transmission but overall shifts quick and nice for pulling heavy loads.

Wanting just a bit more
By Steve

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I use this for trailering, hauling wood, pulling trees, hunting and fishing trips, and occassional weekend trips with the wife and friends. Most everyone loves the truck and the way it looks. I love the 4x4 rear end as it takes me nearly anywhere. Plenty of power, plenty of leg room, and I like the visibility (less blind spots than my '97). I'm not afriad to take it anywhere. I have been in 10" of new snow and on muddy paths in the woods and it just goes. The AC is great and the warms up fast in the winter. I get about 12-13 mpg in town, and 15 on the highway. It does a good job driving with a cross wind. It looks like a truck that is designed to work - not pretty, but tough.

The traction I get from the rearend. Plenty of leg room. Great visibility. Dual zone climate control. The power I get from the 6.0 engine. Very little outside wind noise. Good braking.

Front end steering. I know it is a HD but that front end needs some work as it tends to bump-steer. Interior compartment storage is really lacking. The bed of the truck seems really light. Better driver's seat, not as good as the 97. Better gas mileage. Replaceable lower piece on front bumper.