Used 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Gmc Sierra-2500hd - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

2006 2500HD Duramax
By Jlaw

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SL1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

2nd Duramax, had a 2002. Good truck still original brakes at 56k miles. Interior has held up well, get the leather if possible. Engine and trans bullet proof. I tow 10,000 lb camper and boats at 70 MPH all the way to Florida from Texas. Debating going back to gas engine do not tow as much these days. Great truck overall.

Favorite Features

Engine, Trans, Sunroof, Mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Leather on drivers seat always wear on outside edge from getting into 4x4. Happened on 2002 also. Maybe I need to lose weight?

Great Truck!
By Moose

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SL1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Purchased new. Plain Jane with manual windows, stick, vinyl interior. Just what I wanted. Have experienced no problems that have required a dealer visit. I have over 30K and it runs fine. Wish I could have gotten 3.73 vice the 4.10 axles. Still get 15 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

Looks much better than the 2008 and newer.

Suggested Improvements

The attachment lip for the front of the lower seat cover keeps popping off the frame. Needs to be glued or riveted on.

2500HD crew cab, SB with 8.1 v-8
By happy GMC owner

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Nice truck overall. Really get's the job done. Best tow vehicle I've ever owned. 8.1 V8 has plenty of torque. Get's better mileage than 454's I've owned previously.

Favorite Features

8.1 v-8, allison 6 speed trans, 4x4, heated seats, bose stereo

Suggested Improvements

telescoping steering column

Excellent family recreation truck
By irideharley

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Was considering the Dodge Cummins for it's tough reputation but couldn't swallow the tight back seat for a growing family. A friend had the Chevy Duramax and I haven't looked back since. The GMC Duramax and 6 speed Allison tranny are incredible. Quiet ride, plenty of room in the back seat, power a plenty to pull the bass boat with a camper on top. With or without a load, city and hgwy driving we still average 18 mpg, and at least temporarily diesel is cheaper than unleaded in my neck of the woods. Absolutely no buyers remorse with this truck. Two thumbs up all around.

Favorite Features

Pulling torque, quiet comfortable ride, nice styling, steering wheel controls and info center, shift on the fly 4X4.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius seems out there. Plan on a three point turn around in anything less than a mall parking lot.

2500HD Duramax
By Tim

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The GMC HD Duramax is by far the best diesels you can buy on the market. I recently compared the duramax to other cummins and powerstroke diesels and it out performs them from towing to payload to the comfortablility of the ride. I recently compared the duramax 2500HD to the Ford f-450 and I compared everything and the thing that stood out to me was that the GMC maxed out at 16000 pounds and the Ford pulled only 14000 and the ford was twice its size and still the duramax was the best. So weather you are a ford, GMC, or Dodge guy duramax is the diesel to buy.

Favorite Features

OnStar, Trim packages, color options, rims , engine choices

Suggested Improvements

we have had some minor problems with he allison transmission but overall shifts quick and nice for pulling heavy loads.