2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
2006 2500HD Duramax
By Jlaw on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SL1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

2nd Duramax, had a 2002. Good truck still original brakes at 56k miles. Interior has held up well, get the leather if possible. Engine and trans bullet proof. I tow 10,000 lb camper and boats at 70 MPH all the way to Florida from Texas. Debating going back to gas engine do not tow as much these days. Great truck overall.

Great Truck!
By Moose on 08/08/10 10:23 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SL1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Purchased new. Plain Jane with manual windows, stick, vinyl interior. Just what I wanted. Have experienced no problems that have required a dealer visit. I have over 30K and it runs fine. Wish I could have gotten 3.73 vice the 4.10 axles. Still get 15 mpg on the highway.

2500HD crew cab, SB with 8.1 v-8
By happy GMC owner on 10/29/09 13:56 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Nice truck overall. Really get's the job done. Best tow vehicle I've ever owned. 8.1 V8 has plenty of torque. Get's better mileage than 454's I've owned previously.

Excellent family recreation truck
By irideharley on 06/29/09 15:22 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Was considering the Dodge Cummins for it's tough reputation but couldn't swallow the tight back seat for a growing family. A friend had the Chevy Duramax and I haven't looked back since. The GMC Duramax and 6 speed Allison tranny are incredible. Quiet ride, plenty of room in the back seat, power a plenty to pull the bass boat with a camper on top. With or without a load, city and hgwy driving we still average 18 mpg, and at least temporarily diesel is cheaper than unleaded in my neck of the woods. Absolutely no buyers remorse with this truck. Two thumbs up all around.

2500HD Duramax
By Tim on 02/28/09 16:48 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The GMC HD Duramax is by far the best diesels you can buy on the market. I recently compared the duramax to other cummins and powerstroke diesels and it out performs them from towing to payload to the comfortablility of the ride. I recently compared the duramax 2500HD to the Ford f-450 and I compared everything and the thing that stood out to me was that the GMC maxed out at 16000 pounds and the Ford pulled only 14000 and the ford was twice its size and still the duramax was the best. So weather you are a ford, GMC, or Dodge guy duramax is the diesel to buy.

Sad but true
By gm again on 09/13/08 06:30 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This truck was without question the nicest riding, looking and driving truck I have ever owned. Good power for towing or snow plowing with the standard 6.0 gas engine. This truck, despite its terrible fuel economy [avg 10 mpg with 4.10 axles] was always a pleasure to drive. Two days ago I started up the truck to hook up the job trailer it was hard to pull out of park. I noticed the check engine light on and noticed rough running along with a burning smell. I had it towed to the dealer and got a phone call that mice had eaten wiring in the power center under the hood and that all the wiring and the power center would need to be replaced. After seeing in person what a catastrophe it must go.

Wanting just a bit more
By Steve on 07/31/07 06:28 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I use this for trailering, hauling wood, pulling trees, hunting and fishing trips, and occassional weekend trips with the wife and friends. Most everyone loves the truck and the way it looks. I love the 4x4 rear end as it takes me nearly anywhere. Plenty of power, plenty of leg room, and I like the visibility (less blind spots than my '97). I'm not afriad to take it anywhere. I have been in 10" of new snow and on muddy paths in the woods and it just goes. The AC is great and the warms up fast in the winter. I get about 12-13 mpg in town, and 15 on the highway. It does a good job driving with a cross wind. It looks like a truck that is designed to work - not pretty, but tough.

Not your grandfather's diesel.
By Paul Connell on 12/16/06 16:50 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2001 8.2 L Silverado HD crew cab with this truck. Basically the same vehicle, but with a 6-speed Allison tranny and a Duramax diesel. Compared to the older truck, it has a little better build quality, (not quite up to Japanese standards, but very good--not enough to really matter) vigorous acceleration, and incredible torque. Diesel is surprisingly quiet, and GM is less "trucky," compared to Dodge and Ford. Mileage averages around 16-19 mpg, with 12 mpg towing a 35ft. 5th wheel. Rugged enough for big truck jobs, but civilized enough to use as an everyday vehicle. Nice balance. Reliable, handsome. Quantum improvement over diesels even from a few years back.

Great Camper Truck
By Doc on 11/12/06 21:52 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my GMC 2500HD SLT 4x4 with the 6.0 engine and locking rear differential to haul my new 8.5 foot slide-in camper. I picked the camper up at the factory and proceeded on a 4500 mile test run. Encountering heavy cross winds in the Dakotas and steep passes in the Rockies had little or no effect on the draiveability of the truck or it's performance. The camper weighs 2370 pounds dry and yet the truck responded with little difference than with an empty bed! Mileage on the way to the camper factory in the midwest ran between 14-16,at speed limit empty and 11-14 with the camper loaded.

2006 GMC reveiw
By John on 10/08/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been everything and more than I expected. I tow a 27 foot camper and it pulls it with ease. Driving this GMC truck is a pure pleasure. Rides as good, if not better than, my Chevy Tahoe.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.