2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
Hi Oh Silver
By dkwalker25 on 01/06/10 10:20 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

i love my pickup, hauls my 40HP massey with bucket and brush hog like it's not even there. with banks big hoss bundle it hauls balls and doesn't think twice. awesome truck wouldn't give anything for it. it's dependable, and with all the mods it catches eyes everywhere i go. as of now, until ford puts out the 6.7L would only recommend a duramax. cummins is good but everything around it is crap and rides like a semi. duramax is king right now. i just can't say how much i love my pickup.

Speedometer Problems
By polonerw on 04/04/09 21:36 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Duramax Diesel 2500 Hd crew cab to pull a 36 foot fifth wheel. There is plenty of power; however, have had a few problems. The speedometer failed at about 60000 miles and had to be replaced. I have read that this is a common problem but there is a class action lawsuit and I plan to turn in my 478.00 receipt and hopefully get reimbutsed from GM. The engine light came on and paid to have the code read which was relatively meaningless but haven't had any more problems with that. I added a Superchip which is amazing how much perfromance improvement. Have heard that some people have burned up transmission with Superchip but I always reset to towsafe prior to pulling anything.

05' 6.6 V8
By troyman89 on 12/11/08 21:24 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very nice truck. Lots of power for pulling my 35 foot race trailer. Good on fuel about 21 highway 18 in town. I put the banks 6 gun chip in it. Very fast. Sounds good and has lots of power

Good, but not great
By candleman on 11/21/08 14:19 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This diesel was an upgrade from a gas Dodge RAM1500. Pulling a 7,000lb trailer now seems effortless. Turbocharger takes a long time to engage and gas mileage wasn't as good as I'd expected for a diesel- about 12.5 pulling trailer which is disappointing since over 20 without. Just had 3 injectors replaced under 100K Duramax warranty which I believe was a known problem in all GM diesels from 2002-2006. No recall, of course! No significant change in power or mileage with the new injectors. I hate that GM always adds a $95+ "diagnostic fee" for the computer hookup with any service. Also- computer's trip timer hasn't worked since purchase and the stereo speaker sound is absolutely awful.

GMC SIerra HD Duramax
By Richard on 06/18/06 07:26 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck pulls a 30 foot RV travel trailer with absolutely no problem. Using the tow button helps slow everything down with ease. This truck is much more quieter than Dodge or Ford. It has lots of power and looks great, unlike it's competition.

Nice truck
By Frank Bigelow on 03/22/06 10:03 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck so far it has a lot of power and it rides awesome. It is very comfortable and quiet inside. I would recommend it.

Sierra Duramax/Allison
By SMD on 02/13/06 19:00 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Fuel mileage is poor at best. Engine surge and hesitation. Driveability is very eratic. Vehicle runs hot, fan runs excessively. Tranny and engine temp gauges always show 210 or better. All this while running vehicle empty. When towing all of the above is off the charts. GM answer is that all is normal.

Not Enough Professional Grade
By Ken on 11/10/05 08:28 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Three days after purchase the truck was in the shop with transmission problems. It was there for four days leaving me without a business truck. I now have to take it back because the transmission is causing more problems. There is a thumping noise behind the dash that I can't locate. The ride is fine for a heavy duty truck. I really expected more from GMC. The seats are too narrow and I'm a short person. I traded in a 2000 Yukon. I will be looking at the 2007 Tundra next year.

2005 GMC 2500HD SLE Crew Cab SB 4WD 6.6L
By Larry Sinclair on 10/23/05 23:09 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This 6.6L turbo with the 5 speed auto trans performs excellently whether driving empty or pulling a 30' RV. Interior is very plush (all the bells and whistles)and extremely quiet and comfortable on the road. The dash layout and field of vision behind the wheel is excellent. Added a bedrug and Pace Arrow bed-locker with power tail gate for security and improved MPG. Added ONKI brush guard for added protection from Colorado wildlife. This is a real truck for all occassions with added luxury and comfort!!! For '06 the manufacture has added 30 hp and 6 speed auto trans to an already outstanding rig.

Love this truck
By Gordon on 08/16/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Love everything about this truck. Build quality is the best I have seen in years. Will pull a heavy trailer all day and it is easy to forget it is even behind you. Mine has the Duramax diesel and Allison transmission.