2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Consumer Reviews

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
Opinion on recent Used purchase 6.6 Duramax
By randy012796 on 12/03/13 18:47 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Just bought this truck from my neighbor. 58,000 miles on a 8 year old truck. It is box stock and clean. I cleaned it up even more. I have never owned a diesel before or a GMC. This diesel is Awesome! GMC has a slightly better finish than the Silverado I sold. We tow a 33ft Keystone Ultra lite camper that's 6,800lbs like a dream. There all expensive and I don't know why the comman man would spend the money on a new one. Enjoy shopping and go clean used. Some mods in the future, good deals out there on used perf. parts

The time tested truth
By dplind on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Ok let's start out that I have owned them all and I have owned a lot of trucks. My business is repairing trucks of all sizes and brands for large and small owners. I drive what I don't have to fix! Period! The GMC gives me power to pull my toy hauler and comfort on the long vacations. looks great and never lets me down

Great truck
By terry on 06/15/10 18:17 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck in April 2010. My first gmc. I love it. It has the duramax & Allison combo. Very powerful. It pulls beyond what I expected. I got this truck used with 81 thousand miles. Everyone tells me its just getting broke in. So far I like everything about this truck.

Hi Oh Silver
By dkwalker25 on 01/06/10 10:20 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

i love my pickup, hauls my 40HP massey with bucket and brush hog like it's not even there. with banks big hoss bundle it hauls balls and doesn't think twice. awesome truck wouldn't give anything for it. it's dependable, and with all the mods it catches eyes everywhere i go. as of now, until ford puts out the 6.7L would only recommend a duramax. cummins is good but everything around it is crap and rides like a semi. duramax is king right now. i just can't say how much i love my pickup.

Speedometer Problems
By polonerw on 04/04/09 21:36 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Duramax Diesel 2500 Hd crew cab to pull a 36 foot fifth wheel. There is plenty of power; however, have had a few problems. The speedometer failed at about 60000 miles and had to be replaced. I have read that this is a common problem but there is a class action lawsuit and I plan to turn in my 478.00 receipt and hopefully get reimbutsed from GM. The engine light came on and paid to have the code read which was relatively meaningless but haven't had any more problems with that. I added a Superchip which is amazing how much perfromance improvement. Have heard that some people have burned up transmission with Superchip but I always reset to towsafe prior to pulling anything.

05' 6.6 V8
By troyman89 on 12/11/08 21:24 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very nice truck. Lots of power for pulling my 35 foot race trailer. Good on fuel about 21 highway 18 in town. I put the banks 6 gun chip in it. Very fast. Sounds good and has lots of power

Good, but not great
By candleman on 11/21/08 14:19 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This diesel was an upgrade from a gas Dodge RAM1500. Pulling a 7,000lb trailer now seems effortless. Turbocharger takes a long time to engage and gas mileage wasn't as good as I'd expected for a diesel- about 12.5 pulling trailer which is disappointing since over 20 without. Just had 3 injectors replaced under 100K Duramax warranty which I believe was a known problem in all GM diesels from 2002-2006. No recall, of course! No significant change in power or mileage with the new injectors. I hate that GM always adds a $95+ "diagnostic fee" for the computer hookup with any service. Also- computer's trip timer hasn't worked since purchase and the stereo speaker sound is absolutely awful.

Love of my life
By Roger on 05/23/08 05:03 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Love the truck. Drove the Ford and the GMC and fell in love. Drives sweet. Tow a 10,000 lbs 5th wheel and don't even know it is there. Transmission is great uphill and down. Bose stereo is great. Heated leather seats and dual climate control are sweet. Would recomend this truck to anyone.

GMC2500HD
By response on 03/05/08 09:28 AM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

It's a love/hate relationship between me and this truck. I first fell in love with the outside design. The front view has the same appearance as the Denali. It rides high and has a very aggressive look. It has plenty of power and has yet to be challenged by any load have had. The 6.0L is one of my prized possessions. Most of the of the negative comments here should have been expected, I understand. It sucks gas. I'm averaging around 14 MPG. It offers a bumpy ride. The dash board seems cheaply made, with thin plastic. The rear end can get loose quickly on wet surfaces. The power steering box went out twice. 17 inch rims on a truck of this size is an injustice.

Keep Looking
By Ken on 01/28/08 15:26 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I have the Duramax/Allison combination. It is a very sloppy running engine. Sloppy in that it is not efficient at burning the $3 plus/gallon fuel it takes to run her. She smokes and run your finger on the inside of the tailpipe and you'll see what I mean. My guess is that in the hoursepower wars, GM spared no expense in trying to get ahead of the competition. They should have left the 0-60 nad quarter mile bragging rights to a more appropriate vehicle like the Camaro or Corvette. I'm looking for a new owner for this one.