2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
disgusted
By denise on 05/11/10 11:18 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

vehicle has 19,000 miles and the breaks give out periodically.....gmc does nothing to resolve...been fighting for over a year and a half with this issue....there best advice is keep driving till one of there mechanics can feel the breaks give out...will NEVER BUY ANOTHER GMC customer service and parts are terrable

Duramax Powered
By Montana diesel on 02/24/10 15:51 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have the 2nd generation LLY Duramax engine in mine and i love it. I had to replace the injectors when i bought it at 130,000 but other than that i have just been upgrading. The ride is great, the seats are comfortable, the fuel economy is good, 20-24 highway, 15-18 city, if i keep my foot out of it(hard to do with 400 HP and 600LbFt of torque on tap). I have not had any major breakdowns since owning it. The transmission did blow up at 143,000, but it was a freak electrical short that caused it to engage 2 gears at once(lots of chunks in the pan). It actually got me all the way back to the shop in limp mode which was about 25 miles, 10 of which on a logging road.

GMC 2500HD 4 years later
By Steve Coleman on 04/24/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has been overall a good unit. Windsheild leak when new at passenger floorboard and behind dash. Took 1 year for local dealer to finally fix. Climate Control slow to activate fan, really noticable on hot days, seems I have to press brake pedal to start blower (wierd). Trans will sometimes start in 2nd gear, then shift to 1st. Usual problems with intermiediate steering shaft (now on 2nd fix), driver's seat belt and armrest broke, pass side also (wrty fixes). Also having wierd problem during cold months with intermittent dash light and guages recycling, no fix yet. Orig brakes are still strong at 90k miles, tire wear good, body still tight and quiet, engine strong with no oil usage

Research Before Buying
By Glenn on 10/06/06 21:51 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The quality of this truck is questionable. Major issues include getting only 275 - 300 miles/tank of gas. Serious steering problems with absolutely no long-term fixes. This is a widespread issue which truly makes the truck a misery to drive! Rust at less than two years. Faulty air, seating, and other minor repairs. I can hardly imagine buying another due to GM's lack of being able to warrany their trucks and offering a fix on such a major steering issue. All they offer is a lube which needs to be applied every four to six months and does not really work well.

another awesome gm truck
By ronald tootle on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

this is the fifth (sixth if you count my Tahoe) gm truck that i have had and it is by far the best. talk about reliable. a heavy duty truck that has no problems pullikng my triler in any clime and place. in the snow, on the beach, it does not matter. talk about space, i have two kids and a dog and we travel with no problems, even on long trips. i will never own another type of truck, from any dealer...now a hummer...that is a different issue. ron tootle major, us marine corps camp lejeune nc gm truck owner since 1985 1985 chevy s-10 1988 chevy s-10 2001 chevy silerado ext cab z-71 2002 gmc sierra ext cab z-71 2002 chevy tahoe 4x4 2004 gmc sierra 2500hd quad cab 4x4

GMC Duramax
By chz on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is awesome. We pull a 5th wheel camper and it pulls it like there is nothing there at all. Great truck.

2004 Duramax
By LyleT on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Absolutely the best truck I have ever owned. During it's maiden break-in run I got 23.8 mpg. When engine is broken in mileage should be even better. I drive between 55-65 mph and this seems to be the "sweet spot" for performance. Got it to haul our slide in camper and this will be no problem now. (Not like our 91 Silverado which on it's best day with only one person got 20 mpg)

GMC 2500 HD/ Durmax Diesel
By tabinmn on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I appreciate the diverse choices when purchasing vehicles but choose to pick GM d/t the ability to find anything from fast sports cars, Corvette, to tough Durmax Diesel. The current Vehicle of choice is as described above and I wouldnt tow w/out the performance of the GMC Sierra 2500 HD Durmax Diesel. Not only does the beautifully engineered design look great driving down the highway but also performs outstanding w/absolutely no problems. This is my 3rd Duramax and would recommend it to any serious driver that needs a truck w/towing capacity. Not to mention gas milege...what truck of this capacity can get

Diesel is wonderful
By E. Daniel Shoemaker on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Traded in my 96' GMC 3/4 ton Suburban, w/ 454 Vortec engine for this new crew cab, Duramax w/ Allison transmission. Wow what a difference in towing power. Previously driving over mountins into Prescott and Payson, from the Phoenix area, we were lucky to keep up 35mph. Now, wow, 65mph over the same roads and mountains, towing the same trailer. Diesel milage is better than the gas by about 5 to 6 mpg. Wish the Suburban had this engine/trans.

Best Truck to get
By Robert Mackison on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best truck I have ever owned.