2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
Duramax and Allison are superior
By Jim T on 10/29/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck since new in 2003. Only in the last several years have I used it to its full potential. I have pulled a 10,000 lb fifth wheel to Florida twice and a new 12,000 lb fifth wheel to GA last week and I averaged a little over 13 mpg. On the return trip I got over 24 mpg running at 70 mph all day. I do have a tonneau cover for the bed which might help. I first took this new truck to Ohio in 2003 and only got 22 mpg with the same configuration. I did add a K and N air induction system before my last trip but this truck pulls like a champ without any additonal brains or Banks kits. The 5 speed transmssion is smooth and I know improvements have been made in the 09's.

Nice for towing
By john gentry on 08/22/05 11:40 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck was bought for towing and does a great job pulling our fifth wheel camper.

Good, bad, and ugly
By Ted Sparling on 02/24/05 16:12 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The Isuzu engine is the best part of this truck, along with the Allison tranny. The worst part has been all the GM stuff. Everything from numerous AC problems to leaks, memory features deleting themselves, multiple transfer case problems for auto 4WD, and leaking fuel injectors. If it were not for the dealership's attitude and incompetance i would buy again.

Not Impressed
By cynical13 on 11/27/04 15:40 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck as a replacement for my 96' 1500 as I needed more muscle to tow a 5th wheel trailer. The 8.1L has plenty of punch, but I struggled with traction on anything less than dry hard surfaces. I have already experienced the typical Chevy/GMC parking light burn out on one side that they can't seem to fix and I have had numerous fuel indicator malfunctions. The fuel consumption is killing me and towing or not is not much difference. Ready to look for an older/smaller model again!

Bob's GMC
By RBob on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Drove this GMC across the country, many mountain roads and off highway. One of the most fun vehicles I have driven and I absolutely love the Turbodiesel and Allison transmission combination. I have had zero problems with this truck, you would think it was made in Japan for the quality.

What A Truck - Diesel/Allison Combo
By Happy GMC Owner on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this last May, love the Duramax/Allison Combo - pulls my 10000 pound 5th wheel like it wasn't there. 12 MPG @ 65 MPH - nooo problem. Very stable on the road.

dura-maxed
By workhorse on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my gmc for a short while and am very pleased with the Duramax/Allison combination,I have owned powerstrokes in the past,the difference is amazing, the Duramax power range extends for a much longer time, torque is great.Allison transmission holds gear going down steep grades and the mileage for a full size pickup is awesome (average is 18 mpg, I have gotten as high as 21 mpg)

??
By Ralph gallo on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

this is great truck ! no question about it .

Power Plus
By jamminjay on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

2003 Sierra with 8.1 liter 345 HP and Alison Auto. Plenty of power for towing. A little hestitant on take off when cold. 20,000 miles in 6 months and it runs like day 1. Fuel mileage is absolutely HORRENDOUS!!!! Towing an enclosed race car trailer x-country avg. mileage = 7.95. Driving enmpty no load at all avg. mileage = 12.98.

Excellent Duramax Diesel!
By Dave Hardin on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Don't want to spend to much time here, but if your thinking about buying this vehicle w/ this motor, all I would say is "do it". It awesome!