2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
By Chevy Man on 03/02/10 23:00 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my 2500HD for just under a year now and I LOVE it. The only problem I really have is its fuel economy. I average around 14 mpg, but where it lacks fuel economy it makes up for it in power. I haul around a skidsteer on a 14 ft open trailer. The skidsteer weighs more then my truck but still no problems pulling it. The fuel economy doesn't really change weather your hauling or not. I just purchased an SLR performance chip that should do the trick. This truck is perfect for anyone with the money to pay for gas.

Truck of the Year
By Seth on 04/12/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Fuel milage is great, 15-18 mpg.Steering column has presented a few small issues allong with sticky power mirror on the drivers side - replaced once.

8.1L tons of gas power!
By black dog on 08/28/05 06:59 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The torque and power of the 8.1L is incredible, but be aware at the gas pump. An average of 9.1 mpg will be all you'll get. Towing large campers or trailers is no trouble what-so- ever. Especially in lower range gears the 8.1L begs for more. All around I love the truck, including a great interior and stock stereo.

Hot Duramax
By J. Carroll on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This duramax is bad to the bone added bully dog 75 hp system to the truck now get 19.6 in town and 23 on the highway. pulled my 30 ft 5th wheel RV thought Colarado never missed a lick passed everything on the road and still averaged 13.7 mpg. Truck will white smoke the tires through 3rd gear and out run a new 6.0l Powerstroke no problem.

Can't wipe the grin away
By D/A Guy on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Only service problem was the Service 4WD Problem as well. New module fixed problem. No other problems since. I found the ride to be very comfortable especially for a 3/4 ton. The room inside accomodates the family and kids with room to spare. 6 adults can ride in comfort with good leg and shoulder room. Milage is great for the power and weight. My average milage to-date is about 19 mpg over 17000 miles. The transmission is absolutely incredible and is what makes this truck exceptional. It handles heavy trailers with ease. I have yet to use all the power the Dmax puts out. It is without a doubt the best truck I have owned.

EXHAUSTED
By Frustrated Rancher on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Disappointed in the power. Tried to pull a 16' stock trailer with two bulls. It was all it could do to get over a small hill. Constant air conditioning problems. Unscrupulous dealership tells me it has been repaired. Lies. Electric window problems. Needs larger fuel tanks for a truck that gets 13mph. Wears front tires knobby. Stress cracks in the windshield. Brakes squeel. Tapping in the engine. Would I buy again. No Chance. Off to the dealership for engine noise;AC repairs again. Watch out Ford/Dodge, here I come.

Still smiling...
By brian0105 on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I researched long and hard when deciding on the $$ for the Duramax/Allison combo. Man am I pleased! It pulls my travel trailer like it wasn't even there. MPG has been better than my previous Firebird. Comfort is much better than I expected for a 3/4 ton. Looks? Man, you can't beat the Fire Red color! Don't know what it might take to wipe this smile off my face!

Go GMC!!
By GeorgeStrait on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great Power and Transmission, Had a Service 4WD Problem recently 5/2003 with 4000 miles on truck. Went into 4WD low w/o input from driver. Part not available, waited 3 weeks and a tow truck ride later!! YES I would buy another.

GMC CrewCab 4WD SLT with 8.1L /Allison
By Gilbert L. on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

600 miles and drive-by-wire trottle body left me stranded. Immediately after the dealership replaced with new trottle body, the 4WD Transfer Case Control Module misteriuosly went bad (RE: Service Bullitin Rel. 02/2003). Very poor Service Dept. at dealership. I had very bad experience with unscrupulous mechanic who falsely claimed work that was not performed. Suspension springs incorrectly installed by manufacturer.

nice truck
By bobby56 on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

the truck is absolutely awsome. i had a 2002, same truck, traded it for the same payments and love it to death. it's stong as an ox, both in horsepower and towing. (ford who?)