2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
By Chevy Man on 03/02/10 23:00 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my 2500HD for just under a year now and I LOVE it. The only problem I really have is its fuel economy. I average around 14 mpg, but where it lacks fuel economy it makes up for it in power. I haul around a skidsteer on a 14 ft open trailer. The skidsteer weighs more then my truck but still no problems pulling it. The fuel economy doesn't really change weather your hauling or not. I just purchased an SLR performance chip that should do the trick. This truck is perfect for anyone with the money to pay for gas.

Duramax and Allison are superior
By Jim T on 10/29/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck since new in 2003. Only in the last several years have I used it to its full potential. I have pulled a 10,000 lb fifth wheel to Florida twice and a new 12,000 lb fifth wheel to GA last week and I averaged a little over 13 mpg. On the return trip I got over 24 mpg running at 70 mph all day. I do have a tonneau cover for the bed which might help. I first took this new truck to Ohio in 2003 and only got 22 mpg with the same configuration. I did add a K and N air induction system before my last trip but this truck pulls like a champ without any additonal brains or Banks kits. The 5 speed transmssion is smooth and I know improvements have been made in the 09's.

Truck of the Year
By Seth on 04/12/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Fuel milage is great, 15-18 mpg.Steering column has presented a few small issues allong with sticky power mirror on the drivers side - replaced once.

8.1L tons of gas power!
By black dog on 08/28/05 06:59 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The torque and power of the 8.1L is incredible, but be aware at the gas pump. An average of 9.1 mpg will be all you'll get. Towing large campers or trailers is no trouble what-so- ever. Especially in lower range gears the 8.1L begs for more. All around I love the truck, including a great interior and stock stereo.

Nice for towing
By john gentry on 08/22/05 11:40 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck was bought for towing and does a great job pulling our fifth wheel camper.

Good, bad, and ugly
By Ted Sparling on 02/24/05 16:12 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The Isuzu engine is the best part of this truck, along with the Allison tranny. The worst part has been all the GM stuff. Everything from numerous AC problems to leaks, memory features deleting themselves, multiple transfer case problems for auto 4WD, and leaking fuel injectors. If it were not for the dealership's attitude and incompetance i would buy again.

GMC Sierra
By myoder on 12/01/04 23:52 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Best pickup I have ever owned, plenty of power and is very comfortable

Not Impressed
By cynical13 on 11/27/04 15:40 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck as a replacement for my 96' 1500 as I needed more muscle to tow a 5th wheel trailer. The 8.1L has plenty of punch, but I struggled with traction on anything less than dry hard surfaces. I have already experienced the typical Chevy/GMC parking light burn out on one side that they can't seem to fix and I have had numerous fuel indicator malfunctions. The fuel consumption is killing me and towing or not is not much difference. Ready to look for an older/smaller model again!

Bob's GMC
By RBob on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Drove this GMC across the country, many mountain roads and off highway. One of the most fun vehicles I have driven and I absolutely love the Turbodiesel and Allison transmission combination. I have had zero problems with this truck, you would think it was made in Japan for the quality.

Can't wipe the grin away
By D/A Guy on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Only service problem was the Service 4WD Problem as well. New module fixed problem. No other problems since. I found the ride to be very comfortable especially for a 3/4 ton. The room inside accomodates the family and kids with room to spare. 6 adults can ride in comfort with good leg and shoulder room. Milage is great for the power and weight. My average milage to-date is about 19 mpg over 17000 miles. The transmission is absolutely incredible and is what makes this truck exceptional. It handles heavy trailers with ease. I have yet to use all the power the Dmax puts out. It is without a doubt the best truck I have owned.