Used 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

Good truck
By drenski

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this older Duramax SLT 4x4 truck for over a year now and it has been pretty good. The only issues I've had with this truck that are not operator caused are I had a few bearings go out in the belt pullies, alternator bit the dust and the Hydroboost had to be replaced. All of these I was able to do myself with minimal effort. There were some other things that needed repair but those were not the truck's fault. It IS an older truck. Everything else seems to be fine. The engine is strong and the Allison tranny works great. I'm overall happy with the truck. I just wish the cab was a bit more polished. I bought the truck to pull and it does it well.

Favorite Features

Duramax and Allison tranny, auto climate control, rear A/C, roomy. I like the SLT features too. Smoother ride due to independent front suspension.

Suggested Improvements

The five speed Allison has all the components for a six speed. I wish it was a six speed. Interior seems a bit cheap'ish however, it's an older truck and I'm fine with it. Probably better off anyway.

Best GMC I have owned
By Great truck, Rich

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

End of year clearance when I bought it. I got a good deal. I use it for work and hauling a 5th wheel camper. You hardly know you have the camper behind it. It is a pleasure to drive and with nearly 90k miles it is rattle free and quiet. The long bed makes towing a pleasure. The 4 wheel disks brakes are3 greatpaired with the ABS, I still have more than half the pads left, my other car is a Ford ambulance, I'll take the GMC any day over the Ford, Dodge is noisy and only has short beds with the crew cab. I'm planing on a new GMC soon with a few more bells and whistles.

Favorite Features

The steady ride I get with the long bed and the Duramax diesel that starts in the coldest weather. That seems to be just braking in now. And did I say it was quiet?

Suggested Improvements

The same as all trucks, better fuel economy. I would like to see the fuel filter more accessible, I'm sure there is more but I can't think of them now.

2002 Gmc Duramax, 4wd Crew Cab
By Rich Hartmann

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best trucks I have owned. I have had no problems whatsoever. the biggest repair (only repair) was a universal joint. I tow a 5th wheel camper and am quite satisfied with the performance. Braking is smooth and sure in all conditions, the 4 wheel disk brakes still have a long way to go when checked at 80+k miles. I do my own maintenance and have crawled under and around this truck and I am impressed with it's sturdiness and build quality. It has what appears to be one of the most massive frames in any similar truck I've looked at. I like everyone else would like to see better fuel economy. I would like to see an easier to change fuel filter. Yes I will buy another GMC, probably in 0

Favorite Features

Appearance width and stability, the antilock 4 wheel disk brakes, don't need a step ladder to get into the 4wd truck. A real truck with a solid frame. A great tow vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy (All trucks) More accessable maitainence (fuel filters) and such. Don't make it look like a Japanese truck or Dodge. Teach the dealers to properly service diesel trucks.

DMAX
By Herc

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have put 52000 miles on this truck and it has performed well. I had a few problems at first but the only problem I still have is the AC. The AC still does not blow cold off and on during the summer. Been in 6 times for it now it is out of warrantee. I tow a 5th wheel rv and a 36' flat bed trailer and it does supurb.

Favorite Features

DMAX, Allison Trans, Seats

Suggested Improvements

Overhead console is pretty much usless, rearview mirror does not go dark enough or fast enough, larger standard tires.

Great overall family truck
By Mark Danley

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been an exceptional truck, plenty of power and quiet for a diesel. much quieter than either the Dodge or Ford. A very comfortable truck to drive. We pull a 10,000 lb 5th wheel and it pulls with little effort.

Favorite Features

Great styling, generous power

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage could be improved.