2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
Good truck
By drenski on 09/18/14 08:38 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this older Duramax SLT 4x4 truck for over a year now and it has been pretty good. The only issues I've had with this truck that are not operator caused are I had a few bearings go out in the belt pullies, alternator bit the dust and the Hydroboost had to be replaced. All of these I was able to do myself with minimal effort. There were some other things that needed repair but those were not the truck's fault. It IS an older truck. Everything else seems to be fine. The engine is strong and the Allison tranny works great. I'm overall happy with the truck. I just wish the cab was a bit more polished. I bought the truck to pull and it does it well.

Best GMC I have owned
By Great truck, Rich on 01/09/06 22:33 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

End of year clearance when I bought it. I got a good deal. I use it for work and hauling a 5th wheel camper. You hardly know you have the camper behind it. It is a pleasure to drive and with nearly 90k miles it is rattle free and quiet. The long bed makes towing a pleasure. The 4 wheel disks brakes are3 greatpaired with the ABS, I still have more than half the pads left, my other car is a Ford ambulance, I'll take the GMC any day over the Ford, Dodge is noisy and only has short beds with the crew cab. I'm planing on a new GMC soon with a few more bells and whistles.

2002 Gmc Duramax, 4wd Crew Cab
By Rich Hartmann on 12/13/05 23:55 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best trucks I have owned. I have had no problems whatsoever. the biggest repair (only repair) was a universal joint. I tow a 5th wheel camper and am quite satisfied with the performance. Braking is smooth and sure in all conditions, the 4 wheel disk brakes still have a long way to go when checked at 80+k miles. I do my own maintenance and have crawled under and around this truck and I am impressed with it's sturdiness and build quality. It has what appears to be one of the most massive frames in any similar truck I've looked at. I like everyone else would like to see better fuel economy. I would like to see an easier to change fuel filter. Yes I will buy another GMC, probably in 0

DMAX
By Herc on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have put 52000 miles on this truck and it has performed well. I had a few problems at first but the only problem I still have is the AC. The AC still does not blow cold off and on during the summer. Been in 6 times for it now it is out of warrantee. I tow a 5th wheel rv and a 36' flat bed trailer and it does supurb.

Great overall family truck
By Mark Danley on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been an exceptional truck, plenty of power and quiet for a diesel. much quieter than either the Dodge or Ford. A very comfortable truck to drive. We pull a 10,000 lb 5th wheel and it pulls with little effort.

One Big Truck
By Paul Harrison on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my dream truck. 12 MPG City/16 Highway - no better even with Mobil 1. The 6.0L is fine for commuting, racing punks in Civics and hauling stuff from Lowe's. It does work hard to tow a 6,000 lb. camper. The 6.0L is a revver not a torquer. If you do more than occasional towing, the Duramax is the choice for you. The 8.1L gets 9 MPG so think carefully before making that choice. It hauls 2 tons, that's right, 2 tons of gravel without squatting or skipping a beat. The OEM Bridgestone tires wore out at 45K and because it has to work to tow a moderate trailer, I gave it a 9. It is a monster to park, especially in a parking garage so Fun to Drive is a 9.

Great Truck
By Newpemberly on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is the finest truck I've ever driven for ride and design. Good work GM. You should get some market share with this one.

What a TRUCK!
By Huck BB62 on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SL 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

If you haven't driven a new GM heavy duty, you're in for a shock. The thing is super quiet inside. I've got the upgraded interior and it's very very plush. The 6.0 is a forceful engine and delivers in spades. It is a very capable truck off road and on long trips, it's real pleasure. A long inspection of the underside and underhood of this truck reveals a ton of thoughtful engineering and plain old brawn. Not ONE factory assembly error has been found on my truck. If it got stolen tomorrow, I'll be back down to the same dealer to get one just like it.

this truck rocks
By kyle bailey on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

this truck is the best vehicle we have ever owned. We tested it without the camper in a little streach and it speed up to 78. We tested it with the camper and it got up to 65.