Used 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

I'll only buy Duramax
By Max-This

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD LB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is by far the greatest and most comfortable truck ever made. And if power and performance are what you want then this is the truck for you. The only trouble I had was with the injectors and luckily they were covered by the LB7's extended 7year/200,000mile warranty. Other than that I have never had trouble with this truck. Plus the aftermarket for Duramax's is so wide open to your imagination.

The Duramax. Why would you want a gas after blowin past everyone else on the hills

Idler and Pitman arm. Replaced recently Cognito Motorsports makes a brace to help from having to do again.

Beats my wifes F250
By DBo;an

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Duramax, had a 2001 f250 figured I'd try it. Man let me tell you, quite as a mouse compared to Dodge and Ford and the power surprised me. the leather is no comparison to Fords, (does Dodge have leather?) When we moved from W. Colorado to Central TX I pulled a trailer ( over 8,000 lbs) over those mountians not even much strain, fact had to wait for the Ryder at the top, but no surprise there. My wife wants one now, the ride is like a good sedan and Im not kidding its that good, my fuel varies between 20 - 21 mpg our Ford around 16mpg 4 people who have driven my truck bought one, best vehicle I've ever had.

Comfort is awsome, best leather, powerful motor, drives like a car, smooth as silk good radio/cd/tape, fuel economy, to me best physical look on the market.

heavier foot rails. The fuel filter could be better placed.(like the pump though) better quality tannau cover rails. free replacement truck for my ford

Not Professional Grade
By Bigfins

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

The 6.0 engine knocks a little until warm...other than that it's ok. Lacks real pulling power, even with a 410 rear end. Tranny went out at 9700 miles. Power window regulator at 37000 miles ($500), Rotors now acting up at 47000 (all of a sudden??) Pampered truck. Goes to FL with a light trailer and back annually, othewise no strain. Hauls nothing. Looks like the 8.1 and the Allison was the way to go. Ride was real choppy from day one. I mean bouncey on an uneven road! Hang on in the rear seat! GM should be able to do MUCH better than this. They say every HD truck is made for 200K...at what expense?

Comfortable interior

Get the engine knock out and some reliability in the transmission. Ride needs work also.

MY 2500 HD
By MY 2500 HC

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Overall Good Truck. I am impressed with the sturdiness of the truck. The 6.0L has provided plenty of power with only occasionaly towing. However, the engine began knocking for the first 5 minutes on start up at about 17000 miles. GM says it's o.k. but extended the engine warranty to "make me feel better." Had to have work done on steering column as it began knocking when I hit bumps. Speaker in passenger door had to be replaced. I am now noticing some delay or slip in the transmission when the stop light turns green. A little scared where this all might lead. Don't have the Allison.

Like looks better than newer trucks. Well built chassis.

Reliable engine that doesn't knock on startup. Better standard transmission

One helluva truck!
By HarleyNut

My overall experience has been great! The only problem that I have had in the last 2 1/2 years is the driver side mirror defroster died and had to be fixed. No major mechanical problems and I think it is a comfortable full size truck to drive.

Heated leather seats!

More toys, yeah I know it's a work truck but I love toys!