2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
I'll only buy Duramax
By Max-This on 05/06/09 12:23 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD LB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is by far the greatest and most comfortable truck ever made. And if power and performance are what you want then this is the truck for you. The only trouble I had was with the injectors and luckily they were covered by the LB7's extended 7year/200,000mile warranty. Other than that I have never had trouble with this truck. Plus the aftermarket for Duramax's is so wide open to your imagination.

Beats my wifes F250
By DBo;an on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Duramax, had a 2001 f250 figured I'd try it. Man let me tell you, quite as a mouse compared to Dodge and Ford and the power surprised me. the leather is no comparison to Fords, (does Dodge have leather?) When we moved from W. Colorado to Central TX I pulled a trailer ( over 8,000 lbs) over those mountians not even much strain, fact had to wait for the Ryder at the top, but no surprise there. My wife wants one now, the ride is like a good sedan and Im not kidding its that good, my fuel varies between 20 - 21 mpg our Ford around 16mpg 4 people who have driven my truck bought one, best vehicle I've ever had.

Not Professional Grade
By Bigfins on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

The 6.0 engine knocks a little until warm...other than that it's ok. Lacks real pulling power, even with a 410 rear end. Tranny went out at 9700 miles. Power window regulator at 37000 miles ($500), Rotors now acting up at 47000 (all of a sudden??) Pampered truck. Goes to FL with a light trailer and back annually, othewise no strain. Hauls nothing. Looks like the 8.1 and the Allison was the way to go. Ride was real choppy from day one. I mean bouncey on an uneven road! Hang on in the rear seat! GM should be able to do MUCH better than this. They say every HD truck is made for 200K...at what expense?

MY 2500 HD
By MY 2500 HC on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Overall Good Truck. I am impressed with the sturdiness of the truck. The 6.0L has provided plenty of power with only occasionaly towing. However, the engine began knocking for the first 5 minutes on start up at about 17000 miles. GM says it's o.k. but extended the engine warranty to "make me feel better." Had to have work done on steering column as it began knocking when I hit bumps. Speaker in passenger door had to be replaced. I am now noticing some delay or slip in the transmission when the stop light turns green. A little scared where this all might lead. Don't have the Allison.

One helluva truck!
By HarleyNut on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

My overall experience has been great! The only problem that I have had in the last 2 1/2 years is the driver side mirror defroster died and had to be fixed. No major mechanical problems and I think it is a comfortable full size truck to drive.

seats not up to mar
By brian on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

For a top of the line truck that listed for over $32000 new you would think the company would put in better seats ;such as more padding in the bottom seat and go back to having the whole seat move by power not just the bottom. (this is for the cloth seat). the seats in my 1997 were more conforbly , other than the seatr it is an excellent truck.

Duramax Diesel 2500HD Ext Cab 4X4
By winndixie on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Absolutely love this truck. Will buy one again in a couple years. The only thing I wish GM would improve is the turning radius for the long bed and stiffen up the fleet side metal... leaning against the outside truck bed wall, I pushed the metal in... it popped back out but left a slightly noticable dent. Also interior could make use of wasted space in the dash board below radio with bench seats.

My 2500-HD
By reeddallas on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I have owned many new vehicles from trucks to sports cars from Prosches (2), Corvettes (2), VW's (3), Fords (6), Dodges (1), Chevys (2), Mercedes, to Buicks (2). I have never owned any vehicle that has given me the driving satisfaction of never having a squeak, squeal, rattle, or mechainical problem: From dealer lot to 24,000 miles this has been an excellent vehicle and I congratulate GM for delivering the value. I gave this vehicle a relatively poor rating for gas economy but I do like the 6000 Vortec engine and I knew the gas requirements before I purchased the truck: I'd buy this engine again gas economy notwithstanding.

SLT 2500HD 4WD XCAB SB 8.1L ALLISON 5SPD
By M HILL on 12/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

This is one awesome truck. We are appreciative of the creature comforts, all around visibilty, safety/security features and OnStar. I pull a 30 foot 5th wheel, (about 11000 pounds) and have been very impressed with the trucks ability and ease of maneuverability. I regret I didn't wait for a DuraMax, but I'm getting along fine without it.

1% Customer
By PhlatOut on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SL 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This truck drives like a half-ton and works like a one-ton. For its size it is remarkably easy to drive. The seats are very comfortable, even on long trips (bucket seats w/console). For a 6.0 liter 3/4 ton truck I have gotten good gas mileage most of the time (14mpg mixed driving, 17mpg peak highway).