Used 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:

Big Red
By Tanns

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My 2001 is a real pleasure to drive, getting 15mph on highways, always used regular gasoline. It performs well in the snow and I'm sold on Allison transmissions.

Shortbed is easy to park. Tow package makes towing -like you weren't!

Two complaints: The release for the emergency brake is too low to reach, and all but the driver's seatbelts lock up if you move forward and you have to open the belt and reconnect it -over and over. (I also wish the rear seat cup holders were deeper.)

GMC HD
By Harris

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Still smooth and powerful after 150,000 absolutly trouble free miles. Ford and Dodge probably have as good an engine, but no way can they match the Allison/Duramax as a package. I used to trade trucks every year, but I still enjoy this one so much I want to see just how long it will go.

The braking system on the Allison is great. Comfort of the SLT leather interior and the ABS is the best I have ever used.

Fuel filter is a little tricky. Seem to have a slight bit of bump steer. Mirrors hold a lot of water that blows down the side after leaving the car wash.

The Best Truck Ever!!
By Pullin' IT

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've never owned a better truck. All the power you ever want without sacrificing fuel mileage. Hook it to anything and go anywhere. Great ride like a Caddy. No noise. Luxurious

The 8.1 L Engine leaves others behind. Allison tranny is smoothe and exact.

First two years were heaven.
By T1

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This last year has been quite another story. I've had a complete Brake job including replacing all four rotors which were fine 2500 miles before. The sudden complete failure of all four brakes cost 1600 dollars for that. The four wheel drive switch has gone twice causing the truck to shift in and out of gears and fall out of 4WD. This also caused premature wear of the U-joints, which needed replacing. The fan motor now is going and needs to be replaced. The engine burns a quart of oil every 2200 miles and knocks like mad for the first five minutes of run time until it's warm. The engine also knocks if I use any gas other than premium.

Looks

Everything but the body needs work if you expect this truck to last more than two years.

The Best Trruck On The Road
By JOE_FROM_MO

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD LB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. It was bought to work and it does that. There is a lot of Maintnaice on this truck though. The style and beauty of this thing is awsome. I like the looks of this truck more than the new ones, but you know how guys are. We want the latest, greatest thing. Im sick of having to replace the main engine drive belt every 15000 miles. It starts squiling and I cant handle that. And it sucks the dealer never has the parts to fix a damn thing when you take there. You have to go back and forth two, three, or sometimes four times before anything gets fixed. great big bummer since there is not a dealer anywhere close to where i live.

An automatic transmission that will hold up to the pulling.

better service after the sale. longer service hours.