2004 GMC Sierra 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500 model:
Not Happy!
By Roscoe on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle became a nightmare after about 10,000 miles. First the steering shaft failed ... ? That's right, the steering shaft! Next the instrument cluster had to be replaced since the low oil pressure warning kept chiming. It still chimes uncontrollably after replacing the oil pressure sending unit three times, the oil and filter five times (when it didn't need it), and get this ... they changed the oil pump and the thing still chimes at will! The truck rides like a tank. Now the steering gear box needs to be replaced. There are less than 85,000 miles on this pig!

Worst truck I'e ever owned
By RockStedE on 07/29/10 15:09 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Truly a masterpiece of "poor" engineering. 2004 sierra 2500 with a duramax diesel and Alison transmission. Had to replace the intermediate steering shaft the first year. The vehicle constantly looses prime and shuts down. Here's the kicker . The oil pressure gauge flutters and the annoying chime rings constantly indicating low oil pressure. The cluster panel has been changed twice, the oil pressure sending unit has been changed three times. They even changed the oil pump? Still, no fix. This truck has been a nightmare from day one!

New User
By Scott on 06/19/05 00:03 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving this truck! So far it stranded me once (due to a clip of some sort coming loose and the computer not knowing enough to send fuel to the engine) and that was at about 7k miles. OnStar answered quickly and got me a tow truck pronto! The dealer easily found the problem and my cost for all this was $0. The Bose system is very enjoyable. Acceleration and power are there when you need them. My 13MPG is lower than I expected, unfortunately.

GMC 2500 HD
By Tim Czerow on 05/19/05 21:06 PM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Dependable truck that takes a beating and asks for more. I've never been easy on my vehicles. This one stands up to the punishment. It's a good looking vehicle. Has more ground clearance than Ford or Dodge without being too tall to go in a parking garage. Build quality and materials/ components used are better than competitors also. I've heard (for example) Ford doesn't put grease fittings on a lot of they're front end parts.

Light Duty GMC 2500 4X4 Crew Cab SLT
By Ameritruck on 04/14/05 07:09 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

2004 light duty Sierra 2500 4x4 crew cab w/6-1/2' box. A very comfortable, capable hauler of people and cargo. Rear seat area is huge. Seats are very comfortable. Ride is a little choppy unloaded, but that is to be expected. Smoother ride than GMC 2500 Heavy Duty. Tracks down the road very nicely. (This next comment is not a flame, I'm a truck guy, not a "brand guy") Much better than Ford 250, which tended to wander a bit - that may have been due to the more aggressive off- road tires on the Ford. With a bed cover in place, gas mileage went from 17.5 mpg highway to just over 18 mpg highway. Every bit helps. XM radio is worth every cent. On-Star is invaluable. Great dealer support during sale.

Love This Truck
By Brian Eichler on 03/24/05 23:08 PM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have the 2500HD 6.6L Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab SB. This is my third GM 4x4 truck, but first diesel. I tow an RV and put dirt bikes in the back and it drives like I have nothing attached and nothing in the back. I can accelerate going up hills on the freeway fully loaded towing the RV. The interior noise is quieter than my wife's Chevy Blazer. The stereo absolutely rocks, and the seat heaters are so nice - even in San Diego CA! This is the best truck ever made.

GMC 2500
By stickstack on 08/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I am having a joyful expearence driving my GMC. Over all performance is higher than my original expectations. The creature comfort features has rejunivated my on and off road fun.

A Nice Truck!
By mark1qhorsey on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We've driven a 2004 Sierra 2500HD(crew cab)for about 1000 miles. Roomy, excellent fit and finish and performance. I really like the instruments, (XM radio-rocks!) and seat belts. Yes. It's a nice touch to embed the belts into the front seat backs. Gas mileage is average-13.5 mpg here. The instant fuel economy readout helps optimize mpg. We use 88 octaine. GMC convert. Nice Truck!

great drive train, rough to ride
By payne600 on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The drive train is very good at this point. The ride is a major disappointment. I don't know why they come with such small tires for this size truck.

2004 Sierra2500 4x4 crew cab
By rixxster69 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck, still getting used to the new front end grill( I liked 99-02 best) I previously owned a 2000 z71 sierra slt. Just bought 2004 SLT 2500 crew cab 4x4. They dont include under the hood courtesy light, they eliminated one of the cigarette lighter power input. the 2004 has 6l vortec which is a huge pig compared to 5.3 vortec in my old 2000. the new computer stuff is pretty cool. I am getting on average 10mpg on the 6 liter, I used to get 18- 19 on the 5.3 motor. The first thing to go will be the air cleaner swap with an Air aid or K&N type of element. dramatic horsepower and fuel economy increases should be expected.