Used 2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500HD model:

1500HD 6.0L 4x4 QuadraSteer
By TexasProjectTrader

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. The only problem I had was it was hard to find. I think the Chevy/GMC 1500HD 6.0 4x4 QuadSteer was the greatest pick-up ever built. My job requires travel, & it's a dream on long trips. Plus, it's fun to run Civics & Mustangs around town! Testimonial: It pulled a 1 ton Dodge diesel towing a 65 hp tractor & implements on a gooseneck trailer, about 500 yards out of a muddy pasture in the pouring rain. It was buried to the axles. Even when I initially freed him he still couldn't move an inch. The owner said "that 6.0 can tot the mail but" His jaw dropped when I pulled him all the way to the road. Towed a 4Runner on 20 ft. lowboy through downtown Houston with no problem.

Favorite Features

With out question, QuadraSteer. The 300+ horsepower LQ9 6.0 is a beast. Optional Auto 4WD is awesome in bad weather. The seats are perfect. I love the controls on the steering wheel. The computer can show you lots of info; like instant mileage, average mileage, range, % oil & more. Luxury Truck!

Suggested Improvements

Make more like trucks like this!

Fun to drive and very versatile
By Donald E. Gradeless

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Special Ordered 2WD with all options except the OnStar and XM Radio. Commuting in city to work average 17 mph, 15 on trips, 11.8 towing 34' Avion has 4.10 axle. Will get 22 mpg @ 50 mph but who can drive 50! Several build issues & recalls but great truck except am now getting noise from the rear emergency brake drum caused by not using the parking brake and told its common problem with GM 4 Wheel Disk Brakes rusting from non use. First trip from Indiana to Ruidoso NM we averaged 12.1 going and 11.8 returning with 34' Avion in tow with temp at 112 in NM. Great fiberglass bed, electronic suspension, dual memory driver setting, free extension for the rear safty belts. Love computer display

Favorite Features

First towing at 112 at Roswell NM & cruise held full speed with 34' Avion. Can turn unbelievably tight with Quad Steer. Fun accelerating thru curves as Electronic suspension lifts the truck and Quad Steer makes you feel like you are on rails as you speed up. Quad steer tricky

Suggested Improvements

Would love a 2 speed rear axle to improve mileage. fantastic gas mileage for size of vehicle until you get over 50 mph. 6 speed transmission would also help. Less plastic on the interior. Needs to adjust the angle of the back rest in the rear seats.

Best truck ever!
By Kyle

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The seats are very comfortable, great for long trips. Could use more power and better mileage but it does have a 6 inch and 35 inch tires. Still has the power to spin the tires with ease. The truck also tows very well. Interior looks great with plenty of room being a crew cab.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, heated seats, 4 full size doors

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, more horsepower

Very Good Truck
By Dwayne

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Really enjoy the truck . The interior is very comfortable and quite. The suspension is stiff making for a rougher ride when there is no weight in the box. Took the truck on vacation this summer and averaged 18.? MPG on a 2500 mile trip, not bad for a full size truck . Performance from the 6.0 litre engine is good .. towing and passing are accomplished easily..

Piece of Junk!
By irishlager

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck thinking it would last me a long time. I don't drive it that much, but have been to the dealer 4 times for 4 different problems. I have had a cracked transmission case, a bad steering mid-shaft, bad tail gate cables and a bad seat belt. So far everything has been covered by the warranty, but I fear what is yet to come. This such a shame. I work in the auto industry and would like to buy American, but my next vehicle will be foreign. I can't reward this.

Favorite Features

The truck does have a smooth ride and has plenty of power (since the transmission has been fixed).

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to get things to work. I really don't want to have a relationship with my dealer.