2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500HD model:
1500HD 6.0L 4x4 QuadraSteer
By TexasProjectTrader on 06/28/09 14:36 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. The only problem I had was it was hard to find. I think the Chevy/GMC 1500HD 6.0 4x4 QuadSteer was the greatest pick-up ever built. My job requires travel, & it's a dream on long trips. Plus, it's fun to run Civics & Mustangs around town! Testimonial: It pulled a 1 ton Dodge diesel towing a 65 hp tractor & implements on a gooseneck trailer, about 500 yards out of a muddy pasture in the pouring rain. It was buried to the axles. Even when I initially freed him he still couldn't move an inch. The owner said "that 6.0 can tot the mail but" His jaw dropped when I pulled him all the way to the road. Towed a 4Runner on 20 ft. lowboy through downtown Houston with no problem.

Fun to drive and very versatile
By Donald E. Gradeless on 05/15/09 14:22 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Special Ordered 2WD with all options except the OnStar and XM Radio. Commuting in city to work average 17 mph, 15 on trips, 11.8 towing 34' Avion has 4.10 axle. Will get 22 mpg @ 50 mph but who can drive 50! Several build issues & recalls but great truck except am now getting noise from the rear emergency brake drum caused by not using the parking brake and told its common problem with GM 4 Wheel Disk Brakes rusting from non use. First trip from Indiana to Ruidoso NM we averaged 12.1 going and 11.8 returning with 34' Avion in tow with temp at 112° in NM. Great fiberglass bed, electronic suspension, dual memory driver setting, free extension for the rear safty belts. Love computer display

Best truck ever!
By Kyle on 01/31/09 17:54 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The seats are very comfortable, great for long trips. Could use more power and better mileage but it does have a 6 inch and 35 inch tires. Still has the power to spin the tires with ease. The truck also tows very well. Interior looks great with plenty of room being a crew cab.

Very Good Truck
By Dwayne on 01/08/06 23:32 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Really enjoy the truck . The interior is very comfortable and quite. The suspension is stiff making for a rougher ride when there is no weight in the box. Took the truck on vacation this summer and averaged 18.? MPG on a 2500 mile trip, not bad for a full size truck . Performance from the 6.0 litre engine is good .. towing and passing are accomplished easily..

Piece of Junk!
By irishlager on 12/19/05 10:54 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck thinking it would last me a long time. I don't drive it that much, but have been to the dealer 4 times for 4 different problems. I have had a cracked transmission case, a bad steering mid-shaft, bad tail gate cables and a bad seat belt. So far everything has been covered by the warranty, but I fear what is yet to come. This such a shame. I work in the auto industry and would like to buy American, but my next vehicle will be foreign. I can't reward this.

1500 hd
By jtom on 09/27/05 10:44 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this vehicle for 2 1/2 yrs. & have put on 52000 miles. Positives: very comfortable drives more like a large car 6.0 litre engine is a brute. Bosch sound system is very nice, you will be pleased. heated seats are wonderful dealer has been very accomodating when I have recall issues handled (nothing serious) no problems...starts when i get in and does what I expect. Negatives: mileage is lousy...average after 50k miles is 12.6...and 80% of my driving is highway. dashboard squeeks and rattles...somewhere weep within the bowls of the dash...gonna let the dealer try and remedy.

2003 Sierra ex-cab pickup
By hkiopl on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We really enjoy driving this pickup. It handles great and has good pulling power. We get around 15-18 miles per gallon depending upon road conditions. The leather seats make for a nice smooth ride, even on rough roads. It's a sharp looking pickup and seems to be well made. The onstar system with the radio is somewhat undependable. I wouldn't depend on the telephone because of it's voice activation for numbers rarely works.

Very Happy
By hsk on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Quadrasteer is awsome. Good power. Great handling. Crappy gas mileage. Lags from standstill. Very comfortable, but ride is bouncy (4wd)

New truck, many headaches
By Dale Parker on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I'm scheduling my 7th repair visit. I have had it in 3 times for A/C (still not fixed), twice for exhaust system vibrations, twice for front differential leaks, once for vibrations in the dash, and now there is a noise from the steering. I am not at all happy with this vehicle and would not buy another.

what fuel milage
By pdt637 on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving this truck but it is more slugish than I expected. The average fuel milage I am getting 9.6 miles per gallon, that sucks. That on top of all the plastic on the interior is enough to make me look elsewhere for my next truck.