2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD Consumer Review: Who needs a diesel

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD - Consumer Review

SLE Crew Cab Pickup (6.0L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed)

Who needs a diesel
By glock35ipsc on

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

When I bought this truck, it was for the purpose of pulling a 5th wheel RV and an enclosed snowmobile trailer. Most all towing would be in the mountains. I have alway driven GM trucks, so I was already use to the body style and interior, both of which I love. However, this is my first GMC. Ride is good for a 3/4 ton, power was good, although I knew I could better it later. Has the typical piston slap of this era of Vortec engines, but has not caused any problems. I run Amsoil synthetic oil, I change the filter every 5000 and the oil every 10,000.

Favorite Features

Everything. Really like the trans temp gauge, but I wish this model had the DTC. For about $285, you can add a cold air intake kit, and a custom tuned PCM from wait4meperformance.com, and this 6.0 will come alive.

Suggested Improvements

After installing a cold air intake kit, and a custom tuned PCM from wait4meperformance.com, this truck pulls both my RV and enclosed snowmobile trailer right along with the Cummings, Powerstroke and Duramax. Some friends and I travel together when snowmobiling, and I have not been left behind yet.