Used 2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500HD model:

Who needs a diesel
By glock35ipsc

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

When I bought this truck, it was for the purpose of pulling a 5th wheel RV and an enclosed snowmobile trailer. Most all towing would be in the mountains. I have alway driven GM trucks, so I was already use to the body style and interior, both of which I love. However, this is my first GMC. Ride is good for a 3/4 ton, power was good, although I knew I could better it later. Has the typical piston slap of this era of Vortec engines, but has not caused any problems. I run Amsoil synthetic oil, I change the filter every 5000 and the oil every 10,000.

Favorite Features

Everything. Really like the trans temp gauge, but I wish this model had the DTC. For about $285, you can add a cold air intake kit, and a custom tuned PCM from wait4meperformance.com, and this 6.0 will come alive.

Suggested Improvements

After installing a cold air intake kit, and a custom tuned PCM from wait4meperformance.com, this truck pulls both my RV and enclosed snowmobile trailer right along with the Cummings, Powerstroke and Duramax. Some friends and I travel together when snowmobiling, and I have not been left behind yet.

little ttrouble
By keithcitty@sbcglobal

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I really only have one gripe about the best truck I've ever owned and that's this: GM will not recall a 6.0 for a oil pump seal that causes the oil to airiate and leaves the owner with the impression that there's a collapsed lifter. Anyone else hear that annoying ticking? Check the GM service records and you'll see that its a 300.00 fix/maybe kind of thing.

Favorite Features

Style, ride, power, looks

Suggested Improvements

Fix that annoying ticking sound that has been documented in the GMC service guide

I Love This Truck!
By aeopav

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had excellent service from this vehicle in its' first 25,000 miles. I'm averaging about 14.9 mpg. On a long highway run it will go to 16mpg. I have had two minor issues fixed under warranty. Exhaust resonance, and a steering wheel "clunk". Both taken care of. I have 3 boys and we all go camping a lot. It hardly even knows it is pulling a camper and everyone has plenty of room. Rear seat passengers have their own heat and a/c vents for comfort. The ride smooths out once the truck is loaded a bit so the camping trips are a real pleasure.

Favorite Features

A full guage cluster. I have a tranny temp. guage in the dash! I love the heated frontseats. I'll probably never own another vehicle without them. The trailer towing package. With it added to the truck I was ready to tow my camper the day I drove it off the lot.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see more substantial bumpers put on the truck. The truck had no option for a split rear window. Note to GM : A split rear window is a must for campers who put a topper on the truck and like to access the bed from the front.

HD EXCELENT
By FERNAN

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

LOVE IT

Favorite Features

POWER,SPACE ON BACK

Suggested Improvements

SHOULD HAVE A INDICATOR FOR OPEN DOORS (DOOR AJAR OR A BELL) AND A STRONGER HORN WOLDNT HURT.

My Review
By lauren edwards

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

very cmfortbe and it rdes beautifully. i like it ause its great comfort, it has fast power and looks great. ive had no problems with this truck.

Favorite Features

color, speed, comfort, interior, exterior, has gewat room, good milalage, and good 4x4 train

Suggested Improvements

nothing to my opinion. more room in back for my friends