Used 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Great Truck - Can't see @ Night
By fred

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The headlights just don't throw the light far enough down the road on dim and brightness is marginal. High beams are OK at best, about what the dims should be. The side illumination when turning a corner is pretty much non-existent.
The rest of the truck is great, comfort, ride, handling performance, etc . The MPG is really great for a truck, keeping it @ 70 or less, I can knock down 23-24 on the highway!

Truck is a mess
By BB1972

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab SLT 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra Double Cab 2 wheel drive. I absolutely loved the looks of the truck but I have had nothing but issues since day one. The transmission cannot figure out what gear it needs at slow speeds and when it does it jumps and clunks underneath. I have a problem in the rear of the truck that when I back out of my driveway or hit a bump it clunks and bangs. The steering wheel sticks to the right when coming off the highway. When I took it in for repair they would not fix the problem because the could not get a repeat event. I have had several since then which is a huge safety issue. I have problems with rough idling at lights almost like it wants to stall. I have taken my truck in twice for humming in the rear. The first time I was told that it was normal. I returned it a second time and they replaced the gears in the rear end. I am starting to have the same problems again. My grade braking comes on periodically for about five seconds. I cannot even keep my coffee in the cup holder because of the intense vibration on the highway. So far I still have the same issues with 18,000 miles on the truck. I have tried to trade it in but I cannot get anything for it. I filed a claim with GMC and all I get is its taking some time because we don't have the VIN number. I have given the number twice to them so far and nothing. I will never buy another GMC. My next step is the better business bureau. I have been a GM fan for years but this truck is an absolute mess.

Kick Ass Truck
By S. Friese

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab SLT 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I really love my truck, runs really well, shifts great and the interior is awesome. Lots of room, and very quite. I can have a conversation without speaking loudly. It truly rides like a dream but better when weight in the bed. One thing I don't like is the turning radius, in tight spots its difficult to turn. Everyone who rides in it loves it. I really like the look of the vehicle, great styling all around. Had LINEX bed liner put in and ZEIBART in and out. make sure to have everything real clean and remove door panels and wheel wells for good job. Takes time, but I bought it to keep it a long time! Check out for any updates or upgrades available. LOVE THIS BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!!!

Better than expected
By Andrew

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

First off, there was no pull-down selection for my particular truck, which is an SLE trim, 4x4 double cab with the 5.3 liter V8, so I selected SLT, which is actually close in my case as my truck has the All-Terrain package that includes most of the SLT upgrades (except the leather seats). While cloth, the seats in the All-Terrain SLE are buckets with a great seat heater feature that allows heating the entire seat, or just the back which I love on very long drives.

This truck is very comfortable, with a smooth and quiet ride and excellent (for a truck) handling. Steering actually has pretty good feel and the truck corners quite flat. The seats as mentioned above are heated and are very comfortable, with firm padding that holds up well on long drives. The steering is perfectly weighted, though like in all GM full-sized pickups I've ever driven, the steering wheel is an inch or so off-center (just they're design). I thought this would bother me, but honestly it doesn't.

Fuel economy tops 20 MPG if I keep speed under 75, but at 85 it drops to about 18 MPG and in town about 15 MPG, with my average over 35,500 miles at 16.2 MPG.

I have had no issues whatsoever with this truck. Thus far I've changed oil a few times, wiper blades once and thats it. Everything still looks and feels like new, which is more than I can say about the vast majority of vehicles I've owned over the last 30 years.

Highly recommended.

Vilified transmissions or poor truck drivers?
By Raina

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I like this truck a lot and I've tried them all, starting with a '87 Nissan, a '98 Ford, '00 Toyota Tacoma, a '04 chevy silverado, and '06 dodge ram (now a different co? What gives?) and this GMC is a powerful, comfortable, and reliable steel safety cage of a truck - we have an ACTUAL horse farm, tow REAL horses and tractors, and I live in SF, so I go out to Petaluma and back, three four times a week, up the grade to the GG Bridge in traffic, driving around the streets of SF in a truck too big to live here. So. To say this is hard working truck is putting it lightly. This is the best truck I've had, mostly because all truck companies make huge advances every year.

29,000 miles in, I'm having some power loss on the hills of SF, a reluctance to go from gear to gear as traffic allows. Not real problems, mind you, but a general sense that I'm headed into the realm of transmission problems (hardly ever the actually transmission but the transfer cases and whatnot). My problem is something that can generally be rectified with a tune up, but I came on here to look at other folks issues with their 2014 sierras, just in case there was an issue others knew about that I should have checked out. Turns out I'm probably better off on the web boards. The reviews here are iffy.

I'm surprised at the number of reviews details folks' issues with the Nav System and the headlights. You know you can change those out, right? Doesn't really affect the truck's performance. Obnoxious, but then, I'm equally surprised by the amount of folks' thinking they have problems with the transmission or the engine being hesitant at lower speeds - it occurs to me that there are more people in big trucks who aren't really knowledgeable about how to drive them. So, I write all this to beg those of you who are looking at trucks to ignore warnings about the engine or transmission being weak or unreliable or the front end being wonky - and remind potential truck buyers that opinions are [non-permissible content removed], everybody has one.

I highly doubt anyone who was looking for a hard working truck and bought this one has anything bad to say about the 2014 GMC Sierra. But, if you were looking for a flashy fancy truck, you're right, probably should have stuck with the Ford.