Used 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Never again
By kti2

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Will not buy again. Had the 6 speed manual which kept slamming into 6th gear, apparently its a common problem and its considered "normal" only a year later and the door handles started breaking (100 a piece)w/ install and master power switch failed, and all 4 door moldings fell off. These types of problems I can see if they developed 4-5 years down the road, not in 1 year. Not a 2nd time buyer

Favorite Features

Engine was great

Suggested Improvements

Navigation was horrible, more than 1 color on the screen made it difficult during exits. Transmission sucked, auto start only worked half the time. Needs better glue/tape to hold the moldings on the door.

Driving in Comfort
By tomerikac

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I drove full size pickups for over 25 years then, due to marriage, started driving small cars/minivans for 5 years. Upon retirement, decided to go back to a full size pickup. Found this two yr. old 2012 ext. cab. 5.3l, 6-speed, 20" wheels, chromed out, tonneau, dual exhaust, bed liner, led lights, 16k miles for only $22.9k. Bought it from a 70 yr. old retiree. True, we would all love better gas mileage, but now that I'm retired and driving less miles per year, I love driving this truck. Has been trouble free and very dependable. My young kids love it, too. I'm hoping to drive this thing off into the sunset, or until my wife/kids tell me that I'm just too old to drive.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, dependable, stylish body, quiet, roomy. I also like the front bench seat with the fold down storage/arm rest. Feels roomier in front. Build quality seems tops, sturdy, solid, durable paint, suspension, Really "feels" like a truck should.

Suggested Improvements

In my mind, the interior design, layout, and look are not as aesthetic as a Ford or Dodge, but it is functional and in my experience, the GMC was less expensive than comparable Fords or Dodges.

Amazing TRUCK!!!!!!!
By bigguybob13

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is the best choice I ever made, its my first truck ive ever bought, my brother and parents are having great luck with theirs so i thought id give it a shot. Could not have asked for more with this amazing vehical, im 6'4 and the shortes of 4 guys in my family, we all fit great in this truck, great for road trips or just driving around town, gas mileage is great for the size and safety!

Favorite Features

The size is great! My came with the powertech package so hello 5.3! The engine hauls like no other, barley need to hit the gas before im flying down the road. Also came with the convinience package so i get the bluetooth and everything!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that i know of

2012 Sierra Denali
By mpacker02

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4dr Crew Cab AWD 5.8 ft. SB (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

I just traded in my 2005 Silverado 1500 SS for the 2012 Sierra Denali. The Denali rides much better and is more luxurious. Performance is about the same, the SS accelerating a little harder, but I attribute that to a 4.11 rear end in the SS. The Denali on the other hand is getting better gas mileage than the SS. GMC did a great job on fit and finish, Iíve gone over it with a fine toothed comb looking for flaws and can find none. NAV and Stereo are easy to use, with great sound from the speakers. So far no complaints!

Favorite Features

403hp

Suggested Improvements

How about the ZR-1 motor as an option?