Very good but could be better
By nibs on
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)
Just turned 36k on my MY10. I've the SLT, aluminum 5.3 engine, external oil cooler, Z71 package. 10K of the milage has been done while towing a 12ft enclosed trailer with a sled and gear in the in it. No issues towing but the transmission is clunky. There is squeaking from the doors. The seats could be plusher and have more power settings. I'd like to have the option to be able extend the steering wheel as well. I do not like the hard plastic. I like that the Sierra is not a tank of a truck like the Ford, Dodge and Toyota. Fuel economy is ok but I think it could be better. The edge of my rims seem to have deteriorated and that should not have happened so soon.
Favorite Features
I like the aluminum motor and the 5.3 engine is great. It is more nimble than the competition. Fuel economy isn't too bad. Remote start is a great feature. Auto 4WD is nice too. I like the USB, phone options. The heavy duty transmission, rear end etc is what attracted me to the truck (as well as the engine and look of the truck).
Suggested Improvements
I'd like a posher interior. More comfortable seats with more functionality. I want the plastic gone. Extendable steering wheel is important to me. Sound proofing, tighter build and fewer rattles. I'd also like GM to deal with rear axle kick out. This is something that happens over rough roads and even with lots of weight on, it remains a concern. Smoothing of the transmission is needed. 6 speed if fine but if it is clunky, it is a negative driving experience. At this point I think GM ought to resolve some of these concerns retroactively. Some of use paid big money for their product and they should be thankful for it.
By nibs
on 04/01/14 15:21 PM (PDT)

Just experienced what I call a major failure as I lost control of power brakes and steering as my Sierra shut down as I came to a set of lights in a remote area of the north. Luckily this small community did have a GM dealership and they did have the parts to repair my truck. It seems that there was a bulletin issued for the failure of throttle bodies for the 2010 MY. I nearly side swiped another truck during the failure. Why wasn't this a RECALL GM? I travel some very remote areas and had I been travelling later, during the night, I could have well been stranded in freezing cold weather and my vehicle, the one that would not start would have failed me as GM did. I'm thinking that given the news today, my test ride with the 2014, this experience, that I will be looking very hard at the competition.