Used 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Pontiac's Worst Yet
By Moron Motors

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

What can I say? Everything about the truck disappointing from the noisy driveline, to the thumps & plunks, sloshing fuel tank the crappy cheap foam seats to the idiots at the dealerships who stand there and give you stupid looks like you actually expect them to be able to fix these problems.

Favorite Features

Nothing anymore I am so disgusted with the US brand I will not buy another.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to making trucks not noisy uncomfortable thumping, bumping sloshing midget mobiles

I hate my Truck
By Who Cares GM Doesn't

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The fuel sloshes in the tank, the brakes squeak, the trans clunk and thumps, service people are incompetent and have the same old worthless GM attitude, cab is too narrow.

Favorite Features

Nothing anymore, seat are good first 1,000 after that they start to change by the time 10,000 miles i totally hate driving and the dealers say there nothing they can if they replace the next will the same thing

Suggested Improvements

Reach down between your legs, grab a hold of your neck and yank heads out of your arses

My 1st GMC truck
By keven johnson

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great sporty truck. It may be a Plain Jane work truck but that allowed me to personalize it. I love this truck!! It is QUIET (with the windows up), comfortable and BIG. The 4 speed auto. transmission with the 4.3 V-6 tends to hunt for a gear during cruse control. But as long as you are over 75 MPH it works well. Just keep your foot in it when the cruise is off. My mileage is a constant 18 MPG no matter how hard or easy I drive it.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. That 4.3 V-6 is small for a truck this size but the 4 speed auto transmission makes up for it. I love the XM radio and phone.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the V-6, go with a smaller V-8. Or match the V-6 with the 6 speed auto transmission.

UH OH- did they do this to all GMCs?
By Kevin UPDATE

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Ok guys, this is my update. I sold my 09 gmc after owning it for 8 months. When I did, it had 17 service records! The clunk and hard shift you have on the transmission was due to a part installed backwards! I had the sounds of rocks in the rolling wheels at slow speeds, and sloshing gasoline sounds when pulling out of the driveway. I was at the dealership so many times I got to know the staff! For appearance sake, the truck was gorgeous, but mechanically, it grew very old very fast. I spoke to a friend who bought a silverado, and he had the same transmission problems. So let's hope they've fixed it by now! I'm buying a Ford next! I didn't even look at them before I bought my gmc. Big mistake! Bad bad!

Favorite Features

bluetooth, leather

Suggested Improvements

Make sure you build them right! If a Truck costs nearly $40k, it should be ROCK SOLID... here I come FORD!

Sweet Ride
By Ron

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven my truck about 6000 miles now and I have had no problems at all. I do notice a hard upshift when I have to stop swiftly. I can only manage to get about 16 mpg. I traded in a 04 Nissan Titan 4x4 on this truck and I have not been too disappointed. Overall I think GM did good with this re-design.

Favorite Features

Styling both outside and in. Bright headlights, plenty of room. Remote Start. Approach Lighting at night.

Suggested Improvements

Fix clunkiness of the 6 speed transmission, improve fuel mileage, give it more horsepower!! Toyota, Dodge and Nissan have more hp.